Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

May be going under the knife

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
About to finish the standard PT routine for a partial RC and labrum tear that I may opt to have fixed. Has anyone been down this road, gone under the knife and regretted it? Everyone seems to be happy a few months post Op.

I know the road back is going to be a long one but I will trade that for a better working shoulder and less day-to-day pain.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Been down that road....do I regret it? Not sure yet LOL. 8/31/19 will be my 1 year mark. Its been 11 mos post op for me for a full thickness tear of RC, supraspinatus. I had a log in this forum....feel free to peruse lol.
I tore it in Dec, 2017, was in a bodybuilding competition Mar 31, 2018; had surgery 8/31/18. I met with several doctors to finally come up with a game plan of surgery.
I opted for the surgery based upon several things. I do want to continue to compete and i want to lift heavy shit. I did not want to continue with my lifestyle with this tear and make it worse or something else. Hence, I opted for surgery, at the advise of the doctors.

I was not happy a few months post op. I did not get happy until recently actually. 6 month mark for me to be exact actually.

The road back is a very long one....but i focused on my legs during that time; and i still did an upper body, but on unaffected side. I read some up on unilateral training so i opted to do that.

The road is a very long one.....

The road is a very long one.....

The road is a very long one....

Everything I read before surgery....was pretty much true. It sucks, it sucks hard. Its humbling and it sux. BWAHAHA....

Feel free to DM me.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Thanks Bova!

I had a complete pec rupture at 47 y.o., had it fixed and got back to PLing again. 3 years later I singled 10lbs off my bench in a meet and probably could have matched it that day. So I recall that long road back that you speak of. That said, I could only hope for such a positive outcome this time.

Much like you, I'm not ready to be put out to pasture. I'm probably not going to complete in PL anymore but I'm not ready to be normal.

Any chance you could direct me to your thread?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Here you go buddy:

Rotator Cuff Tear-Surgery 8/31

and road to recovery one:

RC Repair Recovery Update

Ah....so you know about recovery....i feel ya. To prep for my surgery, i prepped and prepped like a sonofagun. I even food prepped for my surgery week....so all i had to do was reheat food, take meds and go back to sleep lol.
Dang, pec tear sounds painful.

@CFM BWAHAHA

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
And when i say prepped....i meant that i read articles on others' experiences/you tube vids on their recoveries and how it was going. Read up on anything to have post surgery. My doc had an ice thing for purchase, but my uncle had one that plugged into wall and pumped ice water through it and it fit over my shoulder. It was a bug jug with a pump, and you put water and ice in it. It was awesome to have. Just had to change out about every 6 hours or so.

My surgeon was on the conservative side with PT. Meaning that he had me immobilized in sling for 8 weeks. It was at the 8 week mark, that i started PT. But the week after surgery he had one of those chairs that plug into the wall that lifts your arm up and down and out. I had to increase the range on that daily. It was great to have to get me out of that damn sling. LOL.

So when i say i prepped, i just read and read and read...and asked questions, etc.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
Had mine repaired a few years ago. Everything is going just fine, within 6 weeks I was back at the gym and allowed certain exercises.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
That's where I hope to be parttimer

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
In recovery now from a traumatic shoulder smashing and a bone poked through the rotator cuff...lol along with a broken clavicle, 3 ribs into my left lung blah blah blah but as to the shoulder etc.........it sucks big time and I have been through some shit, immobilizer sling, no forward, no backward, no movement at all one armed man even showering I needed my lovers help!
YES!!:D:p
Uhhh I mean it sucked;)
Really though no sleep, just training legs and cardio and keeping the right side moving as much as possible.
4 1/2 months in for me and JUST got the green light to pick up little pink dumbbells and start moving.
legs look AWESOME though..lol
Got a little fat but not much, the surgery was obviously not an option for me but as stated above LOOOOOONNNNGGG road.
Get everything done you need to beforehand as you will be fuckoed soon enough.
Good luck

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
In recovery now from a traumatic shoulder smashing and a bone poked through the rotator cuff...lol along with a broken clavicle, 3 ribs into my left lung blah blah blah but as to the shoulder etc.........it sucks big time and I have been through some shit, immobilizer sling, no forward, no backward, no movement at all one armed man even showering I needed my lovers help!
YES!!:D:p
Uhhh I mean it sucked;)
Really though no sleep, just training legs and cardio and keeping the right side moving as much as possible.
4 1/2 months in for me and JUST got the green light to pick up little pink dumbbells and start moving.
legs look AWESOME though..lol
Got a little fat but not much, the surgery was obviously not an option for me but as stated above LOOOOOONNNNGGG road.
Get everything done you need to beforehand as you will be fuckoed soon enough.
Good luck
Damn dude, you have been through some nasty shit. My surgery is mostly my call. I could lead a normal life without it but in my head, I'm not going to be okay with that S on my chest fading.

I'm not as bad off now as most and maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm hoping for something less traumatic in my fix.

God blessed you with a heart for this lifestyle so keep up the fight.

Btw, the thought of a pink weight stings a little. Lol

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Saw my PT for an evaluation yesterday. Basically he said you have four choices; 1. stop trying to keep up with the 25 y.o. 2. continue your lifestyle with pain. 3. Quit lifting and lead a normal lifestyle. 4. Surgery. Guess I really only have one choice.

I will speak to the Ortho next week and have something scheduled for the end of Sept. I have a vacation planned and I'm not doing that in a sling.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I had my surgery yesterday. Doctor said all went well. I have some pain meds that I'm taking but it's still pretty painful.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic