Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Help, lower back is trashed...

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
So, been doing a general hypertrophy routine higher reps but minimal volume...and recently my lower back just above my glutes has been super tight. I think it started one day at work when it began raining and I was thrusting up sheathing to the second floor to seal the house back up.

That was three weeks ago and it is sore and hasnt improved or worsened since then. I went to the chiro and that wasnt the problem and I am heading the massage therapist this week. I have had all types of shoulder issues but zero lower back till now.

Thoughts...advice?

Hawk

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Could be your hips which is causing the problem to arise in your lower back, right above the glutes. Try these and see if they help.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Could be your hips which is causing the problem to arise in your lower back, right above the glutes. Try these and see if they help.

I suspect your advice is on target, I am going to try them tonight!

Hawk

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Is it only one side or all the way across? If it's on one side, it can be an indication of a change in your gait, which can stem from pretty much anything from the hip down.

If it's all the way across, it can range from hips to simply over use.

If it's most likely not from your gait, then simply stretching and massage therapy can be the solution. Fixing an issue with your gait will take a clinical assessment to determine the fix, but massage is never a bad idea!! Stuff is awesome!

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Well, it's worse on my left side but I tend to favor my left whether standing up from a kneeling position or squatting.

I am gonna roll out, make an appt with the MT and report back.

Thoughts on training during this period?

Hawk

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Well, it's worse on my left side but I tend to favor my left whether standing up from a kneeling position or squatting.

I am gonna roll out, make an appt with the MT and report back.

Thoughts on training during this period?

Hawk

You're not going to like it but I advise you to rest. I ended up pulling an erector which I didn't listen to my body so it made my entire right side lock up when I failed to let up on my training. A couple sessions with a Chiro, some rest, some rehab, and now I'm better. Pushing through isn't always the wise choice.

C

Cosmonaut

Jul 29, 2016

Do you know if these guys are associated with the kabuki strength gym in clackamas, oregon?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
So, been doing a general hypertrophy routine higher reps but minimal volume...and recently my lower back just above my glutes has been super tight. I think it started one day at work when it began raining and I was thrusting up sheathing to the second floor to seal the house back up.

That was three weeks ago and it is sore and hasnt improved or worsened since then. I went to the chiro and that wasnt the problem and I am heading the massage therapist this week. I have had all types of shoulder issues but zero lower back till now.

Thoughts...advice?

Hawk

If the pain is right along the side of the spine in the low back this is your Quadratus Lomborum. Very common for this thing to get pissed off and shut down training days.

Best bet is to start using donnie Thompsons lower back protocol. You will need the giant gray band from rogue fitness dot com. You will basically hang from the hips in the band. Get on YouTube you will see.

Next comes strengthening this muscle. This part sucks. Reverse hypers tend to be the best method. There are others.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
If the pain is right along the side of the spine in the low back this is your Quadratus Lomborum. Very common for this thing to get pissed off and shut down training days.

Best bet is to start using donnie Thompsons lower back protocol. You will need the giant gray band from rogue fitness dot com. You will basically hang from the hips in the band. Get on YouTube you will see.

Next comes strengthening this muscle. This part sucks. Reverse hypers tend to be the best method. There are others.

I am just not sure, is there a way to know for sure? The discomfort is just above my glutes, but more mid way between the spine and oblique. I'm not sure how many muscles are down there, but I cut out squats in favor of light leg press and split squats for the time. I suspect I need to heal before I assault the area.

Hawk

Kaitlin

Kaitlin

TID Lady Member
Apr 12, 2015
Whenever I thought I blew my back out from pulling off blocks, I had a huge pop in the right lower part of my 'back'. I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes, I could barely walk and breathe normally because it hurt so bad.

Turns out I popped my SI joint and my whole hip dropped an inch. Eventually the left side went also, and it had to do with an extremely tight IT band and extremely tight erectors. When my muscle get really tight, aka minimal stretching, rolling, etc...the muscles literally yank my hips in different directions and have cause reinjury to that area.

I look at a lot of what Donnie Thompson does, I see a chiro regularly and I get massages every couple weeks or whenever I feel necessary. Hopefully this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic