Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Help, lower back is trashed...

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Enjoyed your post, friend!...What exercises can I do to strengthen these areas (hips, sacrum, thoracic and erectors)?... Maybe it will/could help my back issues!

Well- first there's the 90 degree hyperextension bench - when I first had surgery and still now that has me do 3 sets of 25 , never go above parallel hold each rep at top for moment get full stretch.
Stiff deads - 3 of 15-20 slow controlled
Lower back machine (me 200 lbs 20 reps )

Rotary torso machine 2 of ten or woodcutters with cable ( transverse muscles in abs and lower back)
Also most gyms don't have but I got lower back machine - invented by a power lifter and his orthopedist brother Louie Simmons where you rest upper body on high bench and place ankles in strap do sacral raises really good. You can do reverse hypers similarly.

I shattered my spine years ago , had it fixed in 1995 I've done this routine twice weekly ever since no pain again .

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Start with maybe half of load on these if your back not used to work, then work up to it. I vary exercises and reps - when I did rehab for spine the team of docs had everyone as goal trying to do 300% of body weight for lower back before graduating

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Interesting- lesson is that we can't always assume why back is messed up , need to enlist pro with testing etc . Glad your doing better

The older I get the more that seams to be the "lesson".

Hawk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Lmao I'm 51 started age 12 BB but I'm slow learner there I refuse lol
Funny.
I pride myself on being open to new stuff, but you don't know what you don't know till you learn it lol. And apparently, I still have lots to learn.

Hawk

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
As I age, I always come across something new that hurts. I doubt I'll ever be at 100%, but I can deal at 80% for training.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
As I age, I always come across something new that hurts. I doubt I'll ever be at 100%, but I can deal at 80% for training.

No doubt...now it's my elbows...lets see what's next lol.

Youth is wasted on the young.

Hawk

StriKing_Cobra

StriKing_Cobra

Trybal T&A Conveyor
Nov 30, 2016
CH, to add to what Kaitlin said. I have thrown my SI joint out so many times. I am so in tune with it now that I know if I mess it up even before it starts hurting. The SI joint is almost the epicenter of your spine and hips so you cannot treat this as a muscular issue. This is a spinal issue and it needs adjusted by a chiropractor.....or if you're like me, 75% of the time I just pop mine back in place on my own. (better to have a professional do it however).

There are specific movements that I know have shifted my SI out of place.....keep in mind it only takes like 2mm to throw it off track and wreak havoc in your lower back/hips.

Things I know have thrown off my SI:
1. Deadlifting and doing touch off reps.
2. Bent over rows (BB or DB)
3. Kicking dumbbells up with your knee to do stuff like DB Bench or DB Shoulder press
4. Kicking a heavybag
5. Landing on your hip or even just sitting on one asscheek for too long on a hard surface (like floor).

Oh and i'd highly advise to not put your wallet in your back pocket when seated.

SI joint pain can damn near cripple you and can last for a very long time if not treated. But its such an easy fix. I have a chiro I trust, who actually was a powerlifting teammate of mine, so he knows exactly what I do to myself and what needs done.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
CH, to add to what Kaitlin said. I have thrown my SI joint out so many times. I am so in tune with it now that I know if I mess it up even before it starts hurting. The SI joint is almost the epicenter of your spine and hips so you cannot treat this as a muscular issue. This is a spinal issue and it needs adjusted by a chiropractor.....or if you're like me, 75% of the time I just pop mine back in place on my own. (better to have a professional do it however).

There are specific movements that I know have shifted my SI out of place.....keep in mind it only takes like 2mm to throw it off track and wreak havoc in your lower back/hips.

3. Kicking dumbbells up with your knee to do stuff like DB Bench or DB Shoulder press
4. Kicking a heavybag
5. Landing on your hip or even just sitting on one asscheek for too long on a hard surface (like floor).

Oh and i'd highly advise to not put your wallet in your back pocket when seated.

SI joint pain can damn near cripple you and can last for a very long time if not treated. But its such an easy fix. I have a chiro I trust, who actually was a powerlifting teammate of mine, so he knows exactly what I do to myself and what needs done.

Confucius said, At fifteen I set my heart upon learning.
At thirty, I had planted my feet firm upon the ground.
At forty, I no longer suffered from perplexities.
At fifty, I knew what were the biddings of Heaven.
At sixty, I heard them with docile ear.
At seventy, I could follow the dictates of my own heart; for what I desired no longer overstepped the boundaries of righ.
Confucius, The Analects of Confucius

So I'm 51 it took Confucius 70 years to be at one lol

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010

4. Kicking a heavybag

I know a few people who suffer from SI pain and I am grateful to not be in that company. Unfortunately if one has the potential for injury then the iron game will expose it sooner or later. For me it is shoulders issues, but honestly I prefer that to the struggle from si issues.

Hawk

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
Look into John Quint, a neuromuscular therapist. he's got an interesting view on injuries such as why static stretching is bad for lifters pre or post workout, why PL's have more muscle injuries while BB's have more tendon injuries.
also look into Kelly Starrett and mobility WOD in youtube. shows you everything from how to fix back tweaks within minutes and why back pain occurs etc.
stay away from pain killers and surgery.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Look into John Quint, a neuromuscular therapist. he's got an interesting view on injuries such as why static stretching is bad for lifters pre or post workout, why PL's have more muscle injuries while BB's have more tendon injuries.
also look into Kelly Starrett and mobility WOD in youtube. shows you everything from how to fix back tweaks within minutes and why back pain occurs etc.
stay away from pain killers and surgery.

Wow thanks for that myo I have similar issues with both that I manage through exercise and in my teaching and coaching I have been saying that fir years . Stretching is hard work not always the solution for healing certain conditions -us BB and power lifters / strength athletes . Do not live like most , therefore we won't respond to what most respond to in therapy . Thanks again I'll google this guy maybe learn or even validate what I been saying .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic