jacobss
What's New?

Favorite intra workout carb source

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
You're wrong.

Every single amino acid with the exception of leucine is a glucogenic precursor.

You're largely underestimating the human body and its capabilities.

So you rather the body pull from amino acids sources (liver tissue, muscle tissue, amino acid pool..etc) to make glycogen rather consume it via diet? Why? Personally I rather use these to build and repair, not make energy.

Also you can be completely depleted of carbs. Thats why you have what you described above gluconeogenesis and ketosis. Gluconeogenesis will never supply your body with enough glycogen to refill liver or muscles glycogen levels. Its used as an immediate energy source when carbs are void.

You can read as many science magazines as you want, but when it comes to real world application nothing beats personal experience and a little basic knowledge in human physiology. From some there's a time and place for intra workout carbs whether it be REPLENISHMENT, energy or extra calories.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
You're wrong.
Every single amino acid with the exception of leucine is a glucogenic precursor.
You're largely underestimating the human body and its capabilities.
Uh, do you like read and stuff?

Mainly because it tastes great intra workout plus I like the calories.
Exactly, and I do feel I get some energy from it. For me, Sweet Tarts. They are 1g dextrose each (actually 0.9), not that I count them. But it's $1 for a big box of them and they are exactly the same thing as glucose tabs, just a lot cheaper and taste better. I can eat candy while working out and I like it.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Uh, do you like read and stuff?

Exactly, and I do feel I get some energy from it. For me, Sweet Tarts. They are 1g dextrose each (actually 0.9), not that I count them. But it's $1 for a big box of them and they are exactly the same thing as glucose tabs, just a lot cheaper and taste better. I can eat candy while working out and I like it.

I like that idea.. or pixie stix

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
As usual, I am with diesel on this. I swear we use all the same sources. He's on it before I can even reply
sometimes.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Just to add though. If taking insulin. I use a scoop of whey and add dex/malto.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
So you rather the body pull from amino acids sources (liver tissue, muscle tissue, amino acid pool..etc) to make glycogen rather consume it via diet? Why? Personally I rather use these to build and repair, not make energy.

Also you can be completely depleted of carbs. Thats why you have what you described above gluconeogenesis and ketosis. Gluconeogenesis will never supply your body with enough glycogen to refill liver or muscles glycogen levels. Its used as an immediate energy source when carbs are void.

You can read as many science magazines as you want, but when it comes to real world application nothing beats personal experience and a little basic knowledge in human physiology. From some there's a time and place for intra workout carbs whether it be REPLENISHMENT, energy or extra calories.

Your body will always utilize amino acids for glucose, with glutamine being the first as it is the most abundant endogenous amino acid.

I don't know where you read gluconeogenesis cannot restore glycogen, Id disregard that source though.

Im on my phone right now so I don't have the inclination to type out a long explanation, I will Monday morning when I get back to a PC.

While we're talking about physiology though, I majored in human physiology for 4 years, pharmacology as my double major, organic chem as a minor and I work in this field everyday in the supplement industry with R&D. What's your background?

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
Your body will always utilize amino acids for glucose, with glutamine being the first as it is the most abundant endogenous amino acid.

I don't know where you read gluconeogenesis cannot restore glycogen, Id disregard that source though.

Im on my phone right now so I don't have the inclination to type out a long explanation, I will Monday morning when I get back to a PC.

While we're talking about physiology though, I majored in human physiology for 4 years, pharmacology as my double major, organic chem as a minor and I work in this field everyday in the supplement industry with R&D. What's your background?

Carbs are protein sparing. Again why rely on protein as a source of energy when you have access to carbs? As bber or pwrlft what advantage is this to us? Absolutely none unless were trying to keep insulin low for dieting.

You're completely in left field right now just to prove me wrong lol. The whole point of this thread is intra workout nutrition/carbs to increase performance or size. Gluconeogenesis is NOT the optimal way to do this, eating or drinking your carbs are.

And btw I'm an ICU RN and I've taken my fair share of biology and a&p courses along with a slew of other courses pertaining to health including pharmacology. I've also been training for well over 15 yrs now and it shows. I look like a bber, do you?...base on your selfie avi I'd say be lucky to even receive a compliment on if you lift or not. To me your creditable goes out the window with that alone.

Also I have no problem when I admitting I'm wrong and showing some humility. You on the other hand like to twist things around and get completely off topic to show us how much you learned in school...to me this sign of over compensation and insecurity. Don't try so hard. I'm done here. Continue on if you wish.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Why do you think you need an intra workout carb source?

And don't say glycogen replenishment, none of you will reach that point.

Not picking a fight. Can you explain why that point won't be reached

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
Carbs are protein sparing. Again why rely on protein as a source of energy when you have access to carbs? As bber or pwrlft what advantage is this to us? Absolutely none unless were trying to keep insulin low for dieting.

You're completely in left field right now just to prove me wrong lol. The whole point of this thread is intra workout nutrition/carbs to increase performance or size. Gluconeogenesis is NOT the optimal way to do this, eating or drinking your carbs are.

And btw I'm an ICU RN and I've taken my fair share of biology and a&p courses along with a slew of other courses pertaining to health including pharmacology. I've also been training for well over 15 yrs now and it shows. I look like a bber, do you?...base on your selfie avi I'd say be lucky to even receive a compliment on if you lift or not. To me your creditable goes out the window with that alone.

Also I have no problem when I admitting I'm wrong and showing some humility. You on the other hand like to twist things around and get completely off topic to show us how much you learned in school...to me this sign of over compensation and insecurity. Don't try so hard. I'm done here. Continue on if you wish.

1. Who ever said relying on protein? You keep bringing this up, let me clarify this for you since it seems you do not understand a few basic concepts. Protein is made up of amino acids, amino acids serve as glucogenic precursors, the most abundant endogenous amino acid is glutamine, exogenous sources of glutamine undergo gluconeogenesis because the body does not necessitate exogenous glutamine. That goes for many amino acids that we consume and the inanley large amino acid pool during a postprandial state.

2. Your only stance seems to be telling me that I am wrong, it sounds like you are grasping at straws. If you plan to tell me I am wrong, tell me why and use facts that have backing other than your own opinion. Gluconeogenesis is not the optimal way for restoring glycogen levels, although that is your bodies fail safe mechanism and it is more than capable of doing so. You are making an argument on a infinitesimal subject. What if I brought up leptin? One of the many factors you seem to be so ignorantly casting aside. Or the fact that most of us are in a postprandial state, not post absorptive.

3. Were the courses you took free online? Or perhaps at a highschool night class?

Personal attacks, interesting.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left."

Not picking a fight. Can you explain why that point won't be reached

If you reached a state of glycogen depletion, you'd collapse.

gunrunner

gunrunner

Jul 24, 2013
Hey gunrunner how do you like that plazma? I'm interested in it just don't see it worth the cost

Hey bro, I like it but seriously the price is outrageous. I'm on my third tub of this stuff from my 1st order and rethinking to purchase again or not (probably not).

I think you could use most of what was already mentioned here and it would work about the same. I like to use Gaspari Glycofuse and BCAA or just dextrose with BCAA. I also use extra Leucine with the BCAA.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic