Joannafit
What's New?

Drinking Raw Egg Whites

MissMonsterr

MissMonsterr

TID Lady Member
Apr 9, 2015
Does anyone drink raw egg whites?

Just because I buy the cartons of egg whites I was thinking of mixing it in with my protein shakes post workout. I probably couldn't mentally make myself do it by itself, and have no desire to. It's just convenient and adds some protein/takes out some of the carbs I would otherwise get from some of the milk it's replacing in the shakes.

Just curious if anyone else actually does this, and if it's a pretty bad consistency or not noticeable.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
The ones that come in the dairy section of the store are pretty decent mixed with chocolate flavor protein powder. Kind of give it a cake batter taste.

S

storman230

Jan 7, 2012
i put a cup and a half with a scoop of whey or casein at least twice a day.
I suggest trying it first on the weekend, just is case it doesnt agree with your stomach

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Never did this, but yrs ago I used to put a few whole raw eggs in a blender, whites and yolks, along with whatever else. The blender would beat the bejesus outta the eggs so you couldn't even tell they were in there, and there was no flavor to them, none of that sulfurous taste that cooked whole eggs have. I'm assuming this is true for egg-whites-only, BUT,

look closely at the label before you buy. Some of these may be 100% egg white only, and some are designed more for use as scrambled eggs or omelots. Those will often have tiny bits of onion, pepper, garlic, etc. in them, not always obvious from a quick look at the carton, and probably not what you want in a smoothie intended to be chocolate or fruit flavored.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
They are not actually RAW egg whites as they are pasteurized (basically flash heated) but I used to drink them. Terrible terrible farts so I stopped.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the bioavailbility of cooked eggs better than uncooked?

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Drinking eggs whites is pretty much a staple for me and lot easier than eating them!

M

Mike_67

Apr 27, 2015
I did it many years ago too. Rocky style. Put 8 in a glass and chug them

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I did it many years ago too. Rocky style. Put 8 in a glass and chug them

lmao . . . I was thinking of that when I typed my other post. I was never man enough for that Rocky-style. Pretty sure some whole eggs slide down easier than a whole pork chop, but I didn't wanna risk being able to count each un-blended egg as it went down. Main reason I never won The O. Nowadays I'd probably just use the powdered egg protein ON and others make if I were so inclined.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the bioavailbility of cooked eggs better than uncooked?

That's what I've read and it makes sense. However, the eggs in the cartons in the store are flash heated (pasteurized) before being packaged so the bioavailability should be close if not the same.

Ace Corona

Ace Corona

Apr 6, 2015
eating raw egg whites can be fatal if done consistently over a long period of time, pasteurized should be okay

(I can't post links yet, so I copied and pasted from Wikipedia)

Biotin deficiency is a rare nutritional disorder which can become serious, even fatal, if allowed to progress untreated. It can occur in people of any age, ancestry, or gender. Biotin is part of the B vitamin family. Biotin deficiency rarely occurs among healthy people because the daily requirement of biotin is low, many foods provide adequate amounts of it, intestinal bacteria synthesize small amounts of it, and the body effectively scavenges and recycles it from bodily waste. However, deficiencies can be caused by consuming raw egg whites over a period of months to years. Egg whites contain high levels of avidin, a protein that binds biotin strongly. When cooked, avidin is partially denatured and binding to biotin is reduced. However one study showed that 30-40% of the avidin activity was still present in the white after frying or boiling.[1] Hence excessive cooked egg white consumption could possibly cause biotin deficiency. Genetic disorders such as Biotinidase deficiency, Multiple carboxylase deficiency, and Holocarboxylase synthetase deficiency can also lead to inborn or late-onset forms of biotin deficiency. In all cases – dietary, genetic, or otherwise – supplementation with biotin is the primary method of treatment.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic