Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Do OTC supplements really work?

flex001

flex001

May 15, 2013
The only OTC stuff that does anything are multivitamin/mineral, protein, creatine, L-glutamine and pre-workout stuff loaded with caffeine. Everything else is complete hype and bullshit. As a general rule if it really works it gets pulled in just a few months. Your best bet is to stick with the sups listed above and spend the rest of your money on food and gear.

Anyone saying creatine and L-glutamine don't work its because you aren't taking enough of it. You can't take little 500-1,000mg caps and expect anything. Try 10 grams plus on the creatine and 10-15 grams on the glutamine.

I'm with gunslinger all the way but I'd also throw in glucose disposal agents like Vanadyl Sulfate (Chromium Picolinate also) when on a Ketogenic diet. It seems to work for me. Also Flax and Fish oil are key.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Yes, although there are some people that are generally non-responders to it.

Creatine does not cause anything, therefore no such thing as a no responder . Just like preworkout stim are only as dangerous as the person using it. Creatine works if one eats and trains hard just like anything else . We live in a society of impatience and ignorance . The I want now attitude . Patience and perseverance . People use way too much of everything or don't use a brain to train

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
Seems to be a consensus: all but a few very basic supps are complete crap.

Does this mean this Bodybuilding Supplement Section will close down?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Seems to be a consensus: all but a few very basic supps are complete crap.

If gear was made legal again the Bodybuilding Supplement industry would shut down almost completely within a year. The only reason its a multi-billion dollar a year business now is because they promise steroid like gains.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
Seems to be a consensus: all but a few very basic supps complete crap.

there will still be kids out there that are scared to PIN or have no idea what they are doing and want a "test booster" and to many coaches promoting these supps. Will never close unless like what GS said

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Creatine does not cause anything, therefore no such thing as a no responder .

You're saying creatine is useless?

there will still be kids out there that are scared to PIN or have no idea what they are doing and want a "test booster" and to many coaches promoting these supps. Will never close unless like what GS said

Agreed. Not to mention, how many current gear-heads KNOW that supps don't stand a chance against AAS, and still they spend thousands a year on supps. Even if AAS were legal, the supplement industry would be fine and probably even get a huge boost from it.

Blacken

Blacken

Sep 6, 2013
Supplements have a huge marketing campaign behind them. When I visit friends who have younger teenage brothers they always ask me about weight lifting. The barrage of supplements they list that they waste money on amazes me. Mucletech is the biggest seller when I ask them why they they will say because of Phil Heath or Jay Cutler uses it.

The supplement business will last forever so long as pros mention they use it even if AAS were legal. Whatever the pros say they use naive people will follow in hopes to be that guy.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I don't think so. Lets do some simple math. Poor college student wants to get big. Weighs his options on his budget. Steroids are legal and GNC still sells protein powder for $69 per can and "test boosters" for $99 per bottle. The kid tries GNC shit for a few months at $300 per month and is going way over his budget every month and seeing little to no gains. Hears he can get test for $35 per bottle and 200 dbol tabs for $50. He invests his $120 and in 6 weeks is up 25 pounds and his bench is up 50. Do you really think that kid is ever gonna buy a f u c kin "test booster" again? Nope! I don't give a f u c k what Jay or Ronnie say. The only people who believe them are 13-16 year olds that have no business touching gear anyway.

If you are over the age of 18 and still believe anyone in the mags is natural you are retarded plain and simple.

Last edited:
Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
The only OTC stuff that does anything are multivitamin/mineral, protein, creatine, L-glutamine and pre-workout stuff loaded with caffeine. Everything else is complete hype and bullshit. As a general rule if it really works it gets pulled in just a few months. Your best bet is to stick with the sups listed above and spend the rest of your money on food and gear.

Anyone saying creatine and L-glutamine don't work its because you aren't taking enough of it. You can't take little 500-1,000mg caps and expect anything. Try 10 grams plus on the creatine and 10-15 grams on the glutamine.

Glutamine doesn't do anything in regards to muscle repair.

Creatine does not cause anything, therefore no such thing as a no responder . Just like preworkout stim are only as dangerous as the person using it. Creatine works if one eats and trains hard just like anything else . We live in a society of impatience and ignorance . The I want now attitude . Patience and perseverance . People use way too much of everything or don't use a brain to train

Wat

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Your point diesel ? With utter respect to you

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I'm answering the big picture that plagues this community . See some of us have lived this life for longer than most of you have been alive - I been there and done it all many many times and I've been across forums enough to see who really knows their shit and who pretends . So of you can't comprehend it only speaks of your own lack of years. I say that respectfully as I may sound harsh trying to talk sense into a wall many times but I'm also very jealous of all you young guys. Cuz you can read all the bulkshit and screw yourself but when there were only one or two forums way back we didn't have the posers but now we also have a ton of kids that really know their shit ( shine rip , lizard , SAD , Italian many many more) half of the battle is figuring out who knows and who don't . Many times a moderator is no necessarily a knowledgable person but one who contributes and positive fur the board then other forums ill refrain from bashing just pick their buds or worshippers . So you may ask what? But all posts are related , the mentality of board culture comes into play- many preach overdosing of gear and supps. We got people saying compounds like ephedrine are dangerous when they have been used safely for 1000 years on other cultures - we as a community go way overboard and over emphasize pills instead of realizing nothing works well when used wrong . Many of our reference sources are incorrect . Wikipedia is a joke , many so called authorities are bulkshit but gullible and naive believe . When you have lived it for years you see this. Bodybuilding for 30 years - I competed natural in my 20s and always accused of using lol. I lifted over 10 years before using any sort of steroid so it burns me when I see kids endorsing these absurd cycles when they have no idea how to progress natural . I remember some idiot once saying cuz he mod everywhere saying I was a fake lol- months later he posted his picks he was like 160 pound looked like a crack addict lol = idiot . Then we got great people like pillar of balance who just continues to grow in knowledge and progress my hat is off to people like him. Yeah I sound off because I get asked in such ignorance and I still don't get people here sometimes

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Glutamine doesn't do anything in regards to muscle repair.

Ok, I'm sure you can quote a "scientific" article that "proves" this. Lets put it this way. When I take Glutamine I don't stay sore near as long as when I don't. So I don't know if its repairing the muscle or not but I like what it does do for me. I can workout sooner than if I didn't take it. Muscle repair? Recovery? I don't know and could give a sh it, I just know it works.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 2 members watching this topic