Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Do OTC supplements really work?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Do you need whey? Eggwhites have just slightly lower bio-availability. But whey tastes damn good. I know a few people who will not take whey in the final stages of contest prep.
You don't NEED whey, I know I haven't used the stuff in close to two years.

Plant based proteins serve the same purpose and work just as well. As you mentioned, egg whites are also a great food source of protein.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
IMO they aren't worth shit, except creatine

I for the most part agree with you. I do take 3 products that are otc supps just about year round if I can afford... Animal pak which I believe truly makes a difference.. Universal ultra Iso whey which is a good solid protein powder which is cheap and not full of sweeteners. The other product I take is universal shock therapy.. It has a daily dosage of creatine in it and also helps push me thru my workouts on long days.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Personally been using OTC 30 years a bit over 15 for gear. Most shit is bull. I don't see paying 125$ for some fake anabolic when 50$ will get some gear ! However - creatine mono hydrate can make anavar in particular work more efficiently and ephedrine hydrochloride makes me train harder along with caffeine yohimbine and mega dose of tyrosine . Cuz if you don't train hard and feed the machine you get half ass results . You pay hard earned money to get stuff. Make the most of it by trAining smart.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Creatine works, period. Extra ATP plus extra water equals extra weight and extra reps and extra strength and extra gains.

Protein powder is only acceptable if you cannot eat whole food but need some protein.

Preworkouts are completely unnecessary and between them and fat burners, are the most dangerous things in a supplement shop.

Other things work, like fish oil and NAC and probably thousands of other products geared towards natural health. But natty test boosters as a whole, cutting edge proprietary bullshit, and most other start-up supplement companies are selling over-hyped, cleverly worded, snake-oil to ignorant millions.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
Mult-Vitamins- I do notice a difference when I forget to take one, more sluggish through the day
Fish oil- I've read up on studies(too bored to read the whole damn thing, just skip to the abstract and figure out if it worked) on cancer patients taking fish oil with protein increasing the effect of the protein. I feel like since I've made it a point to take fish oil with some kind of protein that lacks fish fat, that it helps.
Protein Powder- I'm probably one of the few that see's more progress with quantity over your ultra-micro-coldbrewed-instantanianized-myotrophically filtered horseshit whey....just get a bunch of protein, use the powder to boost the amount of protein you take.
Creatine- Of course!
glycerol- yup
supps pertaining to insulin sensitivity(chromium polynicotinate, R-ALA, fenugreek, metformin) they help

I actually do splurge for a preworkout like Xpand about once a year when I tend to run out of samples to play with. I do feel using it sparingly like that helps increase some focus in the gym, but it's not a crutch.

basically everything else is crap :)

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
the only thing i saw a difference in was when i stop taking cissus

Blacken

Blacken

Sep 6, 2013
imo supplements are a joke.

- I take protein powder just because it's easier on digestion for me but you really don't need whey it can be any protein.
- Creatine is supposed to work and many see something but I am a non res-ponder when it comes to creatine
- Vitamins I think help when you are lacking something but otherwise don't do anything. Vitamin E works when my skin is dry, glusomine helps when my joints are cracking. But has no benefit when I'm fine.
- Preworkouts work for that stim effect but were marketed to give you amazing pumps and be more vascular which is well bullshit.

That is basically supplements in a nut shell to me

Last edited:
gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
The only OTC stuff that does anything are multivitamin/mineral, protein, creatine, L-glutamine and pre-workout stuff loaded with caffeine. Everything else is complete hype and bullshit. As a general rule if it really works it gets pulled in just a few months. Your best bet is to stick with the sups listed above and spend the rest of your money on food and gear.

Anyone saying creatine and L-glutamine don't work its because you aren't taking enough of it. You can't take little 500-1,000mg caps and expect anything. Try 10 grams plus on the creatine and 10-15 grams on the glutamine.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic