Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Bench form

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I found that different that CGBP has increased your OHP. I've always noticed that when my OHP increase all my benches increase.

POB gave you a great suggestion... floor press. It's great for the triceps.

This is why people sustitude it for bench at times it does have carry over and is suggested in some good programs to substitute for bench at times.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Well since bench has little carry over to overhead press I wouldn't worry.

You might do better to just floor press. Less shoulder damage.

Thing I see across the board with most powerlifters is the shoulders are too damn screwed up to OHP.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ok so dumb this down. Why is floor press better than cgbp? I'm curious. I've never done floor press in mah life.
Shoulder health is all. Close grip generally has much more shoulder rotation than floor press

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Definitely use leg drive!

You can add up to 10 pounds or more just by adding leg drive.

When you start using leg drive, if you feel pressure in your head that's completely normal. That means your leg drive is assisting your bench, and you are doing it right.

This has already been said, but I'll repeat it. Its important for overall shoulder and chest health.

1. Tuck your elbows in

2. Use an arch, but keep your behind on the bench. You don't have to get super arched or anything, just a nice easy one.

3. Roll your shoulder blades back, like you're trying to make them touch. This takes A LOT of getting used to, but once you get used to it you'll like it.

4. Drive with your feet. Your setup depends on your height also. Ideally, you want to be flat footed, and driving with your heels. BUT, its fine it you can't do that, and just drive with your tip toes and top of your foot. Try to tuck your feet as far back as you can because this will help your arch.

I hope this helps some.

Keep us posted on your progress RR!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Ok so dumb this down. Why is floor press better than cgbp? I'm curious. I've never done floor press in mah life.

I wouldn't say better. It's another option for you. Why not do both but rotate them.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011

Going off boards, Skull Crushers and off the floor are staples in Powerlifting to build strong triceps.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
I wouldn't say better. It's another option for you. Why not do both but rotate them.
I have been alternating between close grip bench off a 2 board and DB floor presses. Saves my shoulders and really hits the triceps.

Casca

Casca

Mar 30, 2014
Definitely use leg drive!

You can add up to 10 pounds or more just by adding leg drive.

When you start using leg drive, if you feel pressure in your head that's completely normal. That means your leg drive is assisting your bench, and you are doing it right.

This has already been said, but I'll repeat it. Its important for overall shoulder and chest health.

1. Tuck your elbows in

2. Use an arch, but keep your behind on the bench. You don't have to get super arched or anything, just a nice easy one.

3. Roll your shoulder blades back, like you're trying to make them touch. This takes A LOT of getting used to, but once you get used to it you'll like it.

4. Drive with your feet. Your setup depends on your height also. Ideally, you want to be flat footed, and driving with your heels. BUT, its fine it you can't do that, and just drive with your tip toes and top of your foot. Try to tuck your feet as far back as you can because this will help your arch.

I hope this helps some.

Keep us posted on your progress RR!

Yup had this argument with someone once, i told a guy I could easily add 25 lbs to a newbs bench. Now I didn't have to say how I would accomplish it, just know that I could. Incorporating these techniques alone

Retraction of the scapula is 1 of the single most overlooked techniques. Shit do it right and u will finally find the mind to muscle connection that all those individuals with poor chest developement have been looking for. Shit it shortens the movement for christ sakes. Use it and exploit it!!!!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A lot of it has been touched on already, but I definitely agree with the value you place on close grip bench as a triceps developer.

I wouldn't worry as much about leg drive as I would about pulling your shoulders back ( scapula together) to keep them safe and protected. Grip should never be so narrow that your elbows are forced out. Shoulder width or slightly outside of it is best.

I definitely agree with adding bands or chains if your concern is triceps power.
Floor press is great for us bigger folk whose shoulders aren't as supported by a standard bench. Get a fat pad if you can, but I would honestly ONLY go heavy on floor press. Save the competition bench for those of us who compete on it.

Definitely DO stay tight though. It's easy to relax at the bottom of the floor press - this happening under 700 (raw) is how I tore my pec. Stay tight, shoulders tucked in.

OR - start training heavy off the bench and I'll get you a nice singlet for the next Relentless. I was serious about the matching singlets! We would have looked kick-ass!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic