Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Bench Form Critique Please

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks man I tried this today and it felt pretty supportive. I think I'll try it for my next bench session!

Best way to test this is when you are ready to unrack just stay there and have someone kick your legs and hips. If you move you aren't tight enough.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Is your back arched on purpose?

Weird way of putting this... But if you were laying on the forest floor and a tree was laying on top of you, you wouldn't try to press it with a flat back and elbows flared out. You instinctively would arch your back some and tuck the elbows. This is the most mechanically advantageous position to be in for pressing huge weights. Plus as turbo mentioned, it reducing your ROM.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Creating the arch in the low back alleviates stress off the shoulders b/c the bar placement changes (where the bar touches the chest). The higher you touch, the more you stress the shoulder capsule. The lower you touch, the less you stress the shoulder.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
If you're struggling finding a comfortable firm placemnet of your feet, try getting your feet to a spot where your feet are flat and you can drive off your heels. Kinda looks like you're driving off your toes?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
If you're struggling finding a comfortable firm placemnet of your feet, try getting your feet to a spot where your feet are flat and you can drive off your heels. Kinda looks like you're driving off your toes?

Thanks g man. That's what I wanna work on next, is driving from the heels. We'll see how it goes.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Weird way of putting this... But if you were laying on the forest floor and a tree was laying on top of you, you wouldn't try to press it with a flat back and elbows flared out. You instinctively would arch your back some and tuck the elbows. This is the most mechanically advantageous position to be in for pressing huge weights. Plus as turbo mentioned, it reducing your ROM.

Thats a really cool way of describing it, thanks man.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
But, but if i was laying on the forest floor with a tree on top of me, i'd probably be dead ;)

No, but i get your point, makes sense.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Glad to see you getting some great advice turbo. Everything I've read is solid. I concur with Gman about the heels. Give it a go while you're still molding your setup. I've changed my setup on incline lately doing it and it's made a significant difference. Good luck brother!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I think if you want to utilize your quads, set up on the balls of your feet you need to use oly shoes. That's how I set up and if I don't have my Oly shoes it doesn't work well at all. I've tried the push through my heels and it didn't work for me but the only want to know what works is to try it.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I found this really helpful Turb's. He breaks it down slowly with pics even!!

Last edited by a moderator:
kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
Looks nice. Grip could be a little closer, as the elbows are not aligned. However not all agree with this... Leg drive looked somewhat lacking, not sure about lat involvement either. Hard to say without being there with you.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic