Latest Member
Kiddorism

Bench Form Critique Please

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Yes. You have no sense of urgency

Do you have any videos of you benching that you could PM me if you don't mind?

So if I incorporate pause reps that should help my explosiveness ?

I can't lower the weight real fast, I have done it before but it hurts my shoulders.

I don't have access to bands anymore.

Last edited:
graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Nice Turbo, beard too! Sometimes small things can make a difference. You might try ditchin those sneakers for some flat sole shoes, like Converse \ Chuck Taylors. Gives you a better platform being flat. I could be wrong but I think POB is talking about exploding up with the bar, coming down too fast with max weight could be trouble
To help me get out of the hole fster I worked with lighter weight, bringing it down for a pause on my chest and exploding up with it pause, repeat., slowly increasing weight. I'm no pro but these lil things have helped

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Do you have any videos of you benching that you could PM me if you don't mind?

So if I incorporate pause reps that should help my explosiveness ?

I can't lower the weight real fast, I have done it before but it hurts my shoulders.

I don't have access to bands anymore.

Just lower the weight. But you should be flying off the chest if you're using lighter weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Casca

Casca

Mar 30, 2014
Louie good choice, dynamic--bar speed is so important when lifting, obviously not intended for BB, however has its place.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Big DIFFERENCE betw the 2 vids in what you can see. The feet like everyone says... stop moving them around. Plant them and drive off them. You can drive off the heel or the ball of your foot. Both way works. Personally I get more leg drive on the ball of my feet but I also use my oly shoes when I bench.

It doesn't look at all.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Just lower the weight. But you should be flying off the chest if you're using lighter weight.

Thanks. Tomorrow is sposed to be my floor press day, but I'm gonna do dynamic bench instead. I'll post videos if I can get any. Idk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Nice Turbo, beard too! Sometimes small things can make a difference. You might try ditchin those sneakers for some flat sole shoes, like Converse \ Chuck Taylors. Gives you a better platform being flat. I could be wrong but I think POB is talking about exploding up with the bar, coming down too fast with max weight could be trouble
To help me get out of the hole fster I worked with lighter weight, bringing it down for a pause on my chest and exploding up with it pause, repeat., slowly increasing weight. I'm no pro but these lil things have helped

When I did my first meet I benched in Converse shoes. Thanks for the tip G man, I think I'll try it out!

Big DIFFERENCE betw the 2 vids in what you can see. The feet like everyone says... stop moving them around. Plant them and drive off them. You can drive off the heel or the ball of your foot. Both way works. Personally I get more leg drive on the ball of my feet but I also use my oly shoes when I bench.

It doesn't look at all.

Yea I'm gonna try a different setup on bench and see how that does.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
Turbo
1) badass beard sir!

2) I'm so ****ing proud of you dude, you're making some absolutely kickass progress. With the help of the folks here it will be great watching and seeing how far you progress.

3) my bench form is crap so I can offer zero advice.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Looking good turbo. It's been said, keep your feet planted. Find a comfortable spot where you can build tension in your legs.. it'll vary somewhat from person to person. I'm 6 foot, I like to put my feet behind the leg in the front of the bench. Personal preference and where I feel strongest. Best way I've found to set myself is to pull up under the bar, until the bar is over my neck.. I plant my feet, and push myself back down to arch my back and plant my shoulders. When you unrack the bar, allow your shoulders to set into the bench. Squeeze with your shoulder blades, and lower the weight while contracting your lats as if you were loading a spring.

BTW, beard looks good. I tell everyone that's where the power originates.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Turbo
1) badass beard sir!

2) I'm so ****ing proud of you dude, you're making some absolutely kickass progress. With the help of the folks here it will be great watching and seeing how far you progress.

3) my bench form is crap so I can offer zero advice.

Thanks man. It's been a fun journey so far.

Looking good turbo. It's been said, keep your feet planted. Find a comfortable spot where you can build tension in your legs.. it'll vary somewhat from person to person. I'm 6 foot, I like to put my feet behind the leg in the front of the bench. Personal preference and where I feel strongest. Best way I've found to set myself is to pull up under the bar, until the bar is over my neck.. I plant my feet, and push myself back down to arch my back and plant my shoulders. When you unrack the bar, allow your shoulders to set into the bench. Squeeze with your shoulder blades, and lower the weight while contracting your lats as if you were loading a spring.

BTW, beard looks good. I tell everyone that's where the power originates.

Thanks man.

I'm gonna play around with my feet set up on my next bench session.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Lots of good stuff going on here......

The two things that I see are effecting your stability..... well... they ARE your stability.

1st - you aren't getting anything from your legs. Guys tuck their legs under to get more arch, but you aren't tilting your pelvis enough to get any arch from them. Either the bench is too low, you're too tall, or you're just too inflexible. If you do want to tuck back under, try setting up with a PVC pipe under your back to force an arch for now and drive your heels down to stabilize your body. OR ( and this is what I'd do) just learn to bench with your feet out wide.

2nd - you are loose and wiggly and that's robbing you of pounds on the press.
Get set up tight and get your whole body tight - however you choose to set up. Drive your feet hard - heels down if you bench tucked under. Or, pushing out and away if you set up wide - pushing your butt up towards your shoulders.
When you take the bar out get everything set and tight before you break your elbows. Legs driving, lats flexed, scapulae retracted, and elbows locked. Especially in training get used to spending some time under the weight. Reset between reps and hold everything for a 3 count at the top of each rep.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks everyone.

I messed around with different setups yesterday. I'm thinking I'm going to have to have my feet wider now.

This bench I think is lower than the bench I was using at the other gym. So when I get into my old set up with my feet under me and start using leg drive my butt automatically comes off the bench.

Im im going to play around with my set up some more next week hopefully.

So maybe feet wider and not as far back?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic