Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Your grip power is important

Body_Builder

Body_Builder

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2010
Anyone ever used captains of crush grippers? IronMind makes some good grip strength equipment.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Anyone ever used captains of crush grippers? IronMind makes some good grip strength equipment.

I've got a set but prefer the ivanko super gripper (or a knock-off) for crush grip work.

Body_Builder

Body_Builder

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2010
I've got a set but prefer the ivanko super gripper (or a knock-off) for crush grip work.

That would be a way better choice since you can up the resistance in way smaller increments. Need to pick one of those up.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
I agree with II on this subject. Instead of struggling to grip something, I can just use straps and focus on the muscles I'm trying to work. This argument is super retarded. We essentially have two trains of thoughts here: 1.) YOU SHOULD LIFT EVERYTHING RAW and 2.) Grip strength isn't important to me.

I think both are valid. Option 2 fits me better because I'm not planning on competing in powerlifting, so what is grip strength to me? It's an inhibitor like II said, because my legs/back are much stronger than my grip. But to say that lifting raw and "only lifting what you can hold" is code, that's ludicrous.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
I never use straps or gloves......would it help me lift more?...maybe......but i know if i keep attempting the weight without wraps/gloves over time my grip will get strong enough to handle the weight.

Brodel154

Brodel154

MuscleHead
Jul 3, 2011
How many top level/pro bodybuilders do you see using straps? Pretty much every single one! Or am I just seeing things?

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
How many top level/pro bodybuilders do you see using straps? Pretty much every single one! Or am I just seeing things?

No need to bring relevant information into the discussion! Haha... Yeah I was thinking the same thing this afternoon. Every video I see has them wearing them. Jay and Kai have no functional strength...

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
How many of you are top level pros? If that's how we are going to judge I guess you use the same routines as them? Same weight perhaps? Look at them before they reached that level and it will give you a better sense of what they were doing when they were your size. I've never seen kai or jay doing functional work so I can't really judge functional strength, what I can do is tell you at different levels of muscularity, different levels of a sport and for different goals you train differently. They are in fact training for vanity that is what bodybuilding is.

It was you II that said grip holds you back without straps...what's wrong with the idea of making a weakness a strength? I understand our goals differ as I want to be overall strong but I still don't see how anyone here can think that emulation of the pro's is the best course of action.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
No need to bring relevant information into the discussion! Haha... Yeah I was thinking the same thing this afternoon. Every video I see has them wearing them. Jay and Kai have no functional strength...

Different goals. If you only want big muscles for show use all the hooks and cables and straps you like. I have no idea how much Jay or Kai can do on deadlifts for example, but I'm betting its a hell of a lot less without straps. Some people don't care about functional strength only looks, and thats fine. Its just not what I'm looking for.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
How many of you are top level pros? If that's how we are going to judge I guess you use the same routines as them? Same weight perhaps? Look at them before they reached that level and it will give you a better sense of what they were doing when they were your size. I've never seen kai or jay doing functional work so I can't really judge functional strength, what I can do is tell you at different levels of muscularity, different levels of a sport and for different goals you train differently. They are in fact training for vanity that is what bodybuilding is.

It was you II that said grip holds you back without straps...what's wrong with the idea of making a weakness a strength? I understand our goals differ as I want to be overall strong but I still don't see how anyone here can think that emulation of the pro's is the best course of action.

I appreciate your comments NN. They always have a lot of thought in them and I generally consider what you say. However, I never said that grip strength wasn't important but simply not the MOST IMPORTANT thing like ketsugo says. There's more than one way to build grip strength. Using straps, or in my case versa gripps, on heavy pulls does not mean I don't do exercise for grip. And yeah, for me it's all about trying to build muscle... for appearance. You call it vanity, but IMO most of the goals discussed in here are for vanity as well.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I don't disagree II as far as importance it depends on the person and the persons goals, generally it helps everyone to have strong grip and forearms in daily life but how much strength you need there depends on what you do for sure. I'm not using vanity in a negative connotation, if that's someone's goal more power to them, my goal is to be as strong as I can be and through good nutrition and said training I still end up looking pretty decent, it's just a difference in ideals and I wouldn't want to put someone down just because they are different as I wouldn't want that done to me.

For what its worth I have a pair of versa's (actually power grips) but I havn't used them in a long time. I'm not trying to imply they should never be used, just that if someone has an issue with any bodypart focusing on that area will help where as ignoring the issue just makes it worse over time. It's good that you work grip as it's own component I do as well.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
IronInsanity said:
And yeah, for me it's all about trying to build muscle... for appearance. You call it vanity, but IMO most of the goals discussed in here are for vanity as well.

Nothing wrong with that but why not just save yourself a shit load of time and use synthol and get implants? Since its all about looks anyway.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic