Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Your grip power is important

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Past 40 years Ive been training daily in some form of fighting, whether it be Karate as a child, varied sport martial arts like BJJ ,Judo or TKD etc, Various blade arts like filipino Kali, Penjak Silat, Kenjutsu etc and even my training with the military. Ive also played many sports hockey, baseball etc etc. Forearm and grip power is so important- some of us develop it naturally for some reason while many of us like myself have had to isolate and train it further. I cant imagine anyone not understanding how important this aspect of training is- Your grip connects you socially and athletically to everything we do- You are only as strong as your weakest link. Even as a lifter, your exercises will all improve with better grip power.

Grip and Forearm Strength is an important aspect for anyone who trains with weights or competes in sports. This is true for many reasons.

Grip Strength helps your other lifts go up, in turn improving your weights lifted. The way this happens is by a concept called Radiant Tension.

To demonstrate this, let’s look at the bench press. When you bench, the more stable the bar is the better. With a strong grip on the bar, you will have better control of it throughout the length of the bar path. The way Radiant Tension works is when your hand squeezes onto the bar, tension begins to radiate through your wrist, down your forearm, across the elbow and into the shoulder. This tension helps you get more weight and more repetitions in your set.

To test this, lie down on the bench and perform the movement with your hands relaxed around the bar. You’ll see that the bar path can be very erratic this way because you are too loose. This lack of tension can turn into lack of control and at the least can hold you back in your training. At worst, it could cause you to get hurt.

Now perform the bench press with your grip tight on the bar, extending the tension down through your arms and into your torso. You will feel much more stable and more in control of the bar. I bet your lifts will go up at least 10 to 20 pounds just by using radiant tension, if you haven’t been already.

Remember when Stafon Jackson dropped the bar across his throat last Fall while performing the bench with a false grip? NOT GOOD! The fingers and thumb need to be wrapped around the bar in order to create the appreciable amount of tension necessary to initiate the irradiation effect down through the arms and into the torso.

This same radiant tension is produced by the hands for other lifts such as Overhead Lifts, Squats and Deadlifts. In other words, by building grip strength, we can increase our performance on the big lifts in the gym, which in turn can help us when we compete at sports like Baseball, Basketball, Football, etc.

Speaking of sports, Grip and Forearm Training is important there, too. Obviously if we participate in a sport where we have to hold or throw balls or swing a bat, stick or club, then the hands are highly involved. Baseball, Basketball, Football, Rugby, Golf, etc are all sports with a heavy involvement of the hands, so training the hands must be done the right way for maximum benefit.

But don’t think just going into the gym and hitting some Wrist Curls at the end of the workout or squeezing on some Tennis Balls is going to give you the Grip and Forearm power you need for high performance and aesthetics. You have to hit the elbows, forearms, wrists, hands, fingers and thumbs systematically with a balanced approach. Training everything the right way will get you strength gains and improve your performance at your sport. Doing the same stuff all the time, however, can lead to imbalances which cause your strength levels to go down and even result in discomfort and injury.

(-Jedd Johnson, authored bulk of this post info)

Theres tons of great info out there for grip and forearm development if you need it. While I think people rely too much on straps and supports- They are needed, but Im always one to try and help my body make its own supports. Man I could go on and on...............

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
It's not that I don't consider grip strength important, but I refuse to let it be the limiting factor on how much I can pull. In other words: it is important, but secondary to the target muscle being worked, which is primary.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Great post ketsugo. My gym/workplace bans chalk, but I resist the use of straps. I use them only on heavy DLs for reps. Grip strength to me is an important link in the chain of overall strength. If you look strong, you should have a strong grip, IMHO.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
Great post ketsugo. My gym/workplace bans chalk, but I resist the use of straps. I use them only on heavy DLs for reps. Grip strength to me is an important link in the chain of overall strength. If you look strong, you should have a strong grip, IMHO.
No chalk here either. never used straps unitl about 8 months ago and now I stopped again. I got a spay can of tack from Inzer and it makes a huge difference. Grip work is huge. twice a week no matter what

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
It's not that I don't consider grip strength important, but I refuse to let it be the limiting factor on how much I can pull. In other words: it is important, but secondary to the target muscle being worked, which is primary.

If you gave grip strength more attention it wouldn't be limiting you, it is only limiting you because you choose to neglect it.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011

That type of thinking is precisely what I am referring too. Your own mind limits your training with that type of atittude. A stronger grip will improve your ability to work the target muscle FACT, not opinion

Anyone who has to hang onto, twist, turn, grasp or grip items—sometimes with force and control—needs strong hands: athletes; musicians; surgeons; chefs; gardeners; sports enthusiasts; knitters and quilters; construction workers; law enforcement and military; computer users . . . hand strength is for everyone!Improve dexterity – flexibility – range of motion

A hand that is flexible and dexterous, with good muscle control, is more functional and capable, allowing you to carry out many tasks with enjoyment, and it is less likely to get injured.Sports applicationsholding onto/throwing a ball, sailing a boat, holding onto bicycle or motorcycle handlebars, jumping rope, swinging a club or racketDay-to-day taskstyping an e-mail, writing a list, holding a coffee cup, putting a log on the fire, holding onto a dog’s leash, inserting contact lensesHobbies/vocationspainting, woodworking, fly-tying, sewing, knitting, calligraphyReduce pain

Hand pain, stiffness, and soreness make daily tasks difficult and uncomfortable and may even keep you from performing your job or participating in favorite activities. A regular hand exercise regimen is essential to minimize and relieve the effects of these common causes of hand discomfort:

Repetitive stress injuries
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Tendonitis
Arthritis
Tennis elbow and golf elbow
Mouse thumb
Joint pain, stiffness, or swellingRehab an injury

If you’ve experienced an injury to your hand, you have no doubt realized how much you use your hands on a daily basis. With an injured hand, even the simplest tasks—brushing your teeth, taking a shower, getting dressed, driving, opening mail, grocery shopping—become difficult, if not impossible, tasks. An injured hand can keep you from your job or favorite pastime.

You want to get back to full functionality—not just soon, but now—and IronMind’s hand health tools can help you do just that. You’ll want to consult with your physical therapist before starting any hand therapy program for recovery from:

Over-extension or over-use
Sprains
Breaks or fractures
Surgery

Golf, tennis, baseball, hockey
• more powerful strokes
• better control
• stronger follow-through when
hitting
• improved accuracy, distance,
and power

Football, basketball
• more accurate passing
• more secure hold on the ball
• better ball control

Equestrian sports
• improved use of rein aids
• rodeo riders: hanging onto
and managing the rope

Rock climbing
• open hand strength for more
powerful holds
• greater muscular endurance
• minimize over-use injuries

Law enforcement
• improved aim with firearms
• more powerful holds on
opponents
• maintain hold on club or
baton
• scale walls, fences more
easily
• motorcycle patrol: manage
and control bike

Musical instruments
(piano, harp, guitar, violin,
flute, etc.)
• more control, strength in
fingers for sustained playing
• improved range of motion
and muscle control with
instrument

Gardening
• greater facility in pulling
weeds, wielding pruning
shears or spade
• improved range of motion for
planting bulbs, reaching
foliage

Knitting, quilting
• better manipulation of
needles
• minimized cramping or pain

Daily tasks
• improved facility and comfort
in carrying out daily tasks:
-opening jars
-grasping and turning keys
-turning knobs, door
handles
-handling pots, dishes
-chopping wood
-fastening buttons
-moving furniture
-tying shoes
PERSONALLY JUJUTSU IS MY LIFE- I DONT MEAN THE JUDO THAT BRAZILIANS CALL JUJUTSU, WHAT I LIKE BUT ITS NOT JUJUTSU - MANIPULATION OF WEAPONS AND OTHER PEOPLES JOINTS AND PRESSUR POINTS, I PERSONALLY HAVE ALL SORTS OF HAND TRAINING EQUIPMENT - I GOT MUCH OF THIS INFO FROM THE COMPANY I PURCHASE THE EQUIPMENT FROM. GRIP CONNECTS YOUR BODY TO THE WORLD. NOW WHEN I POST I POST TO THE PUBLIC IN GENERAL, I WASNT REFERRING TO YOU IRON, BUT SINCE YOU POSTED LIKE I HAVE TRAINED AND TAUGHT MANY PEOPLE- NO MATTER WHAT A PERSONS ATTITUDE IS TOWARD HAND OR GRIP TRAINING- I WOULD NEVER ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO NEGLECT IT. YOU LOOK LIKE YOU GOT SOME BEEF ON THE LOWER ARM SO , MAYBE YOU WER BLESSED WITH A STRONGER GRIP ETC.

EVEN IN MY WEIGHT TRAINING- I WOULD NEVER EVEN THINK OF BUYING A PAIR OF STRAPS, BUT THATS JUST ME, IN MY WORLD THATS GIVING UP. I DO CHINS WITH 100 POUND PLATE TIED TOMY WASTE FOR REPS, I DO 200 POUND DUMBELL ROWS- NO GLOVES, NO STRAPS - TO ME THATS A WASTE- IM ONE OF THOSE GUYS THAT WHEN YOU SHAKE MY HAND PEOPLE TELL ME THEY THINK IM GOING TO BREAK THEIR HAND- THATS POWER IN MY WORLD- PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL, IT DONT GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT. IM NO POWER LIFTER, BUT I INCORPORATE AND SEE TONS OF VALUE IN THAT TYPE OF TRAINING. YOUR HANDS AND FINGERS WILL ADJUST BY GETTING POWERFUL - AGAIN THATS JUST MY TUDE OVERALL. IM IN NO WAY SAYING THIS ABOUT YOU OR TO YOU- I SEE YOU HERE EVERY DAY , RESPECT YOU AS A HARD WORKING BRO, BUTIN MY GYM WE MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WITH STRAPS AND GLOVES. CONSIDER THIS TOO THAT THE GYM HAS ITS OWN POWER AND OLYMPIC LIFTING TEAM AND THEY RULE EVERY COMPETITION- NOT ONE HAS STRAPS DURING THEIR WORKOUT- CHALK WE HAVE TUBS OF IT EVERYWHERE, THERE ACTUALLY IS A SIGN ON THE DOOR WAY - NO PUSSIES ALLOWED LMAO- OF COURSE WE HAVE NO CHILDREN, NO WOMEN EVER SET FOOT THERE, NO CUSHY

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
That type of thinking is precisely what I am referring too. Your own mind limits your training with that type of atittude. A stronger grip will improve your ability to work the target muscle FACT, not opinion

Honestly, the inability to read looooong posts like that is what limits me. I didn't say that grip strength wasn't important and I have no issues with my grip strength. What I did say is that is was not EVERYTHING, as you claim it to be. You are already on record as saying that all bodybuilders are shallow; therefore, I can't expect you to understand that we all have different goals. Otherwise, it's some good info that you pasted and I only disagree about the extreme level of importance that you place on it.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Honestly, the inability to read looooong posts like that is what limits me. I didn't say that grip strength wasn't important and I have no issues with my grip strength. What I did say is that is was not EVERYTHING, as you claim it to be. You are already on record as saying that all bodybuilders are shallow; therefore, I can't expect you to understand that we all have different goals. Otherwise, it's some good info that you pasted and I only disagree about the extreme level of importance that you place on it.

HA HA , touche' . However its not that i place importance, it is that important. Its almost foolish to let that fly over your head.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
HA HA , touche' . However its not that i place importance, it is that important. Its almost foolish to let that fly over your head.

I agree that grip strength is important... but crushing someone's hand when shaking it, like you mention, does nothing for my status as a man. Personally, when someone tries to do that to me, it appears as a sign of weakness and lack of confidence.

But as for grip strength's place in the gym, I get plenty of grip work with all of the dumbbell work I do. But when it comes to pulling, I get a better MMC with the target muscle by not focusing on grip. That's just my method and I'm not saying that it should be that way for anybody else. For others: grip on!

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I agree that grip strength is important... but crushing someone's hand when shaking it, like you mention, does nothing for my status as a man. Personally, when someone tries to do that to me, it appears as a sign of weakness and lack of confidence.
But as for grip strength's place in the gym, I get plenty of grip work with all of the dumbbell work I do. But when it comes to pulling, I get a better MMC with the target muscle by not focusing on grip. That's just my method and I'm not saying that it should be that way for anybody else. For others: grip on!
I agree with that. Did their fathers teach them nothing. A handshake should be firm but not a death grip. I pretend they aren't doing it when they do it to me. It's funny watching someone's face turn red when they shake your hand.

Grip has never been a limiting factor for me. And my foreams suck.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I can't believe how many aren't allowed to use chalk. That would be the limiting factor for me b/c I sweat like a stuck pig. Thank god I can use chalk all day long.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
If you gave grip strength more attention it wouldn't be limiting you, it is only limiting you because you choose to neglect it.

You beat me to it.

Here is the thing. I want functional strength. Looking like you are strong is great but I had rather be strong. I don't care that you can row with 500 lbs in the gym, or deadlift 700. If you can't do it without straps or some kind of device you don't actually have that functional strength. You can only move what you can hold on to in the real world.

For me its about my Jiu-jitsu. When I grab an arm or a leg its coming with me plain and simple.

Great thread ketsugo.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic