Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Your grip power is important

Brodel154

Brodel154

MuscleHead
Jul 3, 2011
I'm going to give this thread another try.

I use straps, because it helps me reach my goals. I see the point ketsugo is making in that we use our hands to grab (grip) things in our every day life. I admit, it's nice to have the grip strength to grip cinderblocks and walk with them. I even have a job where having a strong grip is nice. Most people, however, do not. I hear the argument, but it doesn't apply across the spectrum to all people. Most people go perfectly fine through their lives with only the inherent grip strength they've acquired through said life. Having an extra-ordinary grip strength for the average joe means what? Also, having extra-ordinary strength or muscle size for the average joe means what? For us, we've added some kind of value and importance to both strength/size or maybe just one. How we choose to meet our goals is our own prerogative. For me, I'm not concerned with my grip strength. It's strong enough for me. Maybe I can't hold as much as I can deadlift, no biggie, I've got straps. That's fine for me. I'm certainly not doing anything "wrong" by using straps. Other people choose to have the mentality "if I can't lift it without straps, then I don't want to lift it." That's fine too, but you certainly aren't "right." That's a choice you've made, and I made a different choice.

Very well put gixxer. Now this is common sense GS. Take note ;)

Ben Edwards

Ben Edwards

Dec 8, 2010
It's not that I don't consider grip strength important, but I refuse to let it be the limiting factor on how much I can pull. In other words: it is important, but secondary to the target muscle being worked, which is primary.
I definitely agree with this - even though I'm an admitted grip guy. The bulk of my training is geared towards grip strength and USAWA competitions - and has been since 2000. Even with all that I see the importance of training grip when grip is the concern. Not turning a great back exercise (deadlift for example) into a poor grip exercise just because you won't use an alternated grip or a hook grip. When your grip is strong enough that it doesn't matter how you grip it - like mine - then you don't have to worry about how you grip the bar for deadlifts or anything for that matter. But until you get there it's wise to use straps and develop your overall strength to a much higher degree without having your grip strength be the limiter.

Jersey Steel

Jersey Steel

Dec 6, 2011
All this debate without giving pointers / links / or regimen on improving overall grip strength?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
All this debate without giving pointers / links / or regimen on improving overall grip strength?

Just use a hook grip for all pulling movements and you'll never have to worry. You can youtube it to see how to hold a bar and create the "hook" in the hook grip but be prepared for a lot of pain in the beginning. There is an adjustment period.

Jersey Steel

Jersey Steel

Dec 6, 2011
So white knuckling the BB starting behind the 1st digits for deads not suggested? I got that advice on Stronglifts.com (to prevent skin folding that create calluses). Hook grip is a looser grasp?

Jersey Steel

Jersey Steel

Dec 6, 2011
I have a lot of trouble with the Snatch grip (double overhand) for Deads when I get around 345# because the BB always wants to roll back out of my hand. I end up doing mixed grip after that which inhibits my raw grip development. Maybe the grip is too tight?

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I have a lot of trouble with the Snatch grip (double overhand) for Deads when I get around 345# because the BB always wants to roll back out of my hand. I end up doing mixed grip after that which inhibits my raw grip development. Maybe the grip is too tight?

Hook is actually used to prevent that roll. It's not a loose grip, basically thumb under instead of over the digits.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic