Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

What makes a person strong

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I would say genetics has very much to do with it, and not just in the sense of how their bodies metabolism is, Or their rate of protein synthesis, etc. Mentality can equally have just as much of a role in it in my opinion as well. Whether one is mentally conditioned and has had some sort of mental training or was just born very strong minded. I think there are so many variables in play here that it would be hard to pinpoint one exactly. This is a really good question though man. I know many people often wonder this question. Honestly, I have always wanted to see someone do studies on limb length advantages and disadvantages, height advantages and disadvantages, small vs. large hands, etc. All these simple things that we easily overlook and don't even consider playing such a big part in our lifts. I have baby hands and bitch grip, I honestly think if I had some man paws I could perform some things better and without assistance from lifting gear. I think we all advantages and disadvantages vs. each other. Which is another reason I absolutely love AAS. One born with more disadvantages that decides to properly use AAS can benefit greatly and even the playing field a bit. I have also noticed that some friends of mine that I would say are naturally, genetically superior, recover extremely well vs. myself and others that weren't born with the spartan blood. It amazes me how many of my friends have ran some crazy cycles with little to no AI's or pct at all, and come off with almost zero side effects. Like they just bounce back immediately. It's insane and I am jelly

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I see what you are saying, but form has nothing to do with strength or how much one can DL versus another. I would even say mentality or the mental has very little to do with how "strong" a person is. PoB knows what I'm attempting to get at, the "thing" or "things" so to speak of. I'm trying to put my finger on "it" but can't quite do it. But please Haymaker, continue to discuss further.

I'm trying to open up a good discussion on this subject and see what we as members, lifters and those in the game can come up with.

IMO most of my strength gains over the past 2 years (over 200lbs increase each on squats and deadlifts) have come from improved form and improved strength. But it is my consistent training and my coach's high quality coaching that have allowed me to get there. Coach says my gains will start to slow now that I am DLing 600 and squatting 550. He says I should expect it to take several years of consistent training to be able to DL 700lbs. So I am guessing my strength gains are now going to come from strength gains because my form is pretty good overall.

To answer your question, what could the difference in strength between two people be attributed to? The possibilities are endless. Genetics. Training. Form. Focus / consistency. Limb length. Mind to muscle connectivity. Mental toughness / determination. Coaching. Diet. Stress. Adequate Rest. Different training facility / equipment.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ever picked up a weight on the bench supports that was 100 lbs over your limit? It probably felt uncomfortable somewhere in your body. That is likely your reason for not lifting more. I put 500 on and un racked it a few inches... My wrists and spots inside my shoulder were sending slight but consistent pain signals, my tris and chest weren't complaining at all. I think like racehorses (they've hardly gotten faster the last hundred years) athletes can become tendon limited. I personally don't know how to thicken and strengthen a tendon to further insulate the Golgi Tendon Organ (GTO) from telling the brain to quit trying. I knew skinny dudes with tendon strength, some where arm wrestlers. Could break your hand.

By progressively overload in your programming your body keeps adapting with denser bones and stronger tendons and ligaments.

We have a member here who described the feeling of squatting 1000 pounds and benching over 800. He could feel his bones flexing and warping under that weight.

The body senses this and makes adaptations fairly quick. After a time squatting 1000 gets easier (not easy just easier lol) and that warping stops.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
IMO most of my strength gains over the past 2 years (over 200lbs increase each on squats and deadlifts) have come from improved form and improved strength. But it is my consistent training and my coach's high quality coaching that have allowed me to get there. Coach says my gains will start to slow now that I am DLing 600 and squatting 550. He says I should expect it to take several years of consistent training to be able to DL 700lbs. So I am guessing my strength gains are now going to come from strength gains because my form is pretty good overall.

To answer your question, what could the difference in strength between two people be attributed to? The possibilities are endless. Genetics. Training. Form. Focus / consistency. Limb length. Mind to muscle connectivity. Mental toughness / determination. Coaching. Diet. Stress. Adequate Rest. Different training facility / equipment.

How many times have we heard the bros talking...

Broseph 1: "Bro I missed a 400 bench just shy of lockout."
Broseph 2: "you need to do pin presses and floor presses and bring those triceps up bro."
PoB: "sorry to interject bUT your set up is all wrong. Your shoulders aren't tucked and lats not flared. You have 25 inch guns. It's technique not triceps."

Most lifts are missed because of technique so woody is correct here.

Also the technique that got him to 600 may not get him to 700. More weight often changes the leverages, especially in the deadlift where the formula is essentially bar weight - body weight + force = 3 whites.

What if with 600lbs he isn't fully leveraging himself but is able to apply overwhelming force. At 700 that force won't be so overwhelming. And if it is and he is out over the bar (not leveraging body weight adequately) he is going to spray the background with spinal fluid.

Technique which involves your leverages being maximized must ALWAYS be looked at first!

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Ditto what POB said, my goal of 405 DL is only going to be had with mad technique work past what got me to tree fiddy.

And carbs. Definitely definitely carbs.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
You haven't lifted a weight until you've put it on a bar a lifted it. The whole calculator theoretical lifts are just that theory. I've trained with someone who could squat 405 for 10 easy but when we would put 495 on the bar (and we didn't just put it right after) he would fold like a lawn chair. You have to train your nervous system to handle the workload too.

This. There is a mental part to this. I think, too.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013

Do you think your coach has really helped you? I've always wanted someone to help me with my form. I lift alone which is likely why I have very strong bench and deadlift compared to my squat. I've never gone over 500 or so on the squat because at best I have a stranger helping me and that's dangerous with weight on your back. I know my bench form is shit but I've benched 455*2 with no leg drive. I'd love some help on the deads too. I pull conventional but I'm sure I could use some tweaking. It's my strongest lift but it's also awkward for me. I have a 7 foot plus wingspan. Good for boxing/basketball not so much for dead lifting. It's something I worked on pushing myself and made it a strength for myself.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Do you think your coach has really helped you? I've always wanted someone to help me with my form. I lift alone which is likely why I have very strong bench and deadlift compared to my squat. I've never gone over 500 or so on the squat because at best I have a stranger helping me and that's dangerous with weight on your back. I know my bench form is shit but I've benched 455*2 with no leg drive. I'd love some help on the deads too. I pull conventional but I'm sure I could use some tweaking. It's my strongest lift but it's also awkward for me. I have a 7 foot plus wingspan. Good for boxing/basketball not so much for dead lifting. It's something I worked on pushing myself and made it a strength for myself.

Having a great wingspan, provided it's a good combo of width AND arm length, actually is key to having a great deadlift. It's the opposite of whatever you're thinking. Longer arms means the bar will be closer to the floor which means you didn't have to pull it as far and it's easier to get your hips through. Coaches are vital, even absolutely necessary to take it to the next level. Teammates, or at least one good training partner, is equally important in my opinion. And having people to tell you when you are making excuses, or ignoring obvious faults, etc, can make you not just a better powerlifter, but a better person.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic