Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What makes a person strong

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Sorry it took so long for that Raiden... it was a great question. I kept my thoughts as basic as possible.

No, for sure, very easy to digest the way you worded it. This is what I was trying to get to throughout the thread I guess. I knew there was more to it.

I still find it amazing how someone like your 123lber guy can move a lot of weight versus someone jacked and muscular who might struggle with the same weight. One person that comes to mind is a guy, probably around 130 or so (forget exact weight) who pulled I think a 6-700lb DL... someone posted a video of him doing it awhile back here on the board, damn I forget his name.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
^ Dalton LaCoe or Stuart John Jamieson? Those two lower weight class guys are deadlifting studs. Dalton pulled 230kg in a USAPL meet in the 53kg weight class, and Stuart pulled 270kg in the 60kg weight class at the recent meet in Russia.

This thread is awesome.

Stuart Jamieson's 628 pull @ 132bw (article)

Last edited by a moderator:
RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
^ Dalton LaCoe or Stuart John Jamieson? Those two lower weight class guys are deadlifting studs. Dalton pulled 230kg in a USAPL meet in the 53kg weight class, and Stuart pulled 270kg in the 60kg weight class at the recent meet in Russia.

This thread is awesome.

Yea for sure, those guys are bad ass. Do you have a video you can post of them DLing that crazy amount of weight?

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
How about when a person with sloppy form on bench for example, can push more weight because he is doing things to help move the weight like squirming, contorting his body or something that would get him disqualified in a meet, versus strict good form that limits you to a certain degree of how you can use your body and not move as much weight. So to me, the form issue goes out the window. Form does not equal stregnth.

Mentally, how does mental make a person strong or stronger? Remove the phsycing out part or getting hyped up for a lift. Is it related to "if you can believe it u can achieve it" mind set? Or does the brain send neurons that fire more rapid when forced to exert force?

I'll speak on a couple of parts....mind you I haven't read more than the first page of this thread.

My bench technique is better than average yet I've been riddled by injuries and haven't sniffed anything over 300. I know that I'll never be a 500lb bencher even if I stayed healthy for the next 15 years straight.

however, I think that 600lb squats and pulls are absolutely on the horizon for me because of my core genetics, athletic history and mental "fukk you, this doesn't hurt me, I can keep going 'switch' that I have"....maybe, just maybe.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
No, for sure, very easy to digest the way you worded it. This is what I was trying to get to throughout the thread I guess. I knew there was more to it.

I still find it amazing how someone like your 123lber guy can move a lot of weight versus someone jacked and muscular who might struggle with the same weight. One person that comes to mind is a guy, probably around 130 or so (forget exact weight) who pulled I think a 6-700lb DL... someone posted a video of him doing it awhile back here on the board, damn I forget his name.

Richard Hawthorne "the ant." Same as Chris lindsay. Look how long his arms are. Powerlifting is about leverages. We leverage our joints to make moving more weight easier. A bodybuilder does the opposite to get max stress to the muscle.

Take curls for example. A preacher curl takes the cheat out so a BB will do that to really get deep into the muscle. I would English and put shoulder into it and move more weight.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Good shit right there PoB. You're studying this stuff right? Can I ask what it is exactly you study?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Good shit right there PoB. You're studying this stuff right? Can I ask what it is exactly you study?

I graduate in April. Studied Kinesiology - human movement, exercise science, nutrition, sport psychology, human anatomy and physiology.

Still trying to figure out what to do for my graduate degree.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Richard Hawthorne "the ant." Same as Chris lindsay. Look how long his arms are. Powerlifting is about leverages. We leverage our joints to make moving more weight easier. A bodybuilder does the opposite to get max stress to the muscle.

Take curls for example. A preacher curl takes the cheat out so a BB will do that to really get deep into the muscle. I would English and put shoulder into it and move more weight.

Yep!! The Ant, sounds about right. I remember the video quite well. If you can, post the video when you get a free minute?

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Thanks for taking us to school POB.

R

Ruger72

Sep 4, 2014
Ever picked up a weight on the bench supports that was 100 lbs over your limit? It probably felt uncomfortable somewhere in your body. That is likely your reason for not lifting more. I put 500 on and un racked it a few inches... My wrists and spots inside my shoulder were sending slight but consistent pain signals, my tris and chest weren't complaining at all. I think like racehorses (they've hardly gotten faster the last hundred years) athletes can become tendon limited. I personally don't know how to thicken and strengthen a tendon to further insulate the Golgi Tendon Organ (GTO) from telling the brain to quit trying. I knew skinny dudes with tendon strength, some where arm wrestlers. Could break your hand.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic