Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Weightlifting shoes for squatting

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
It's only smaller if he is a small guy. The shoe's heel is in direct proportion to the size of the shoe. A size 12 shoe, like I wear, has a much higher heel. I personally know the owner Ivan. He used to lift for Jon back in the day. You'll also wait a loooonnnnng time for your shoe since he has them made back home in Columbia.

No reason to have issues with trusting the composite heel. Klokov has squatted 700+ raw with that shoe and most of the top Russian and Chinese lifters use that heeal. Also don't forget Brandon Lilly was wearing them while squatting in the high 7's raw. So, no need to give it a second thought.

I've also hit 6 in that very shoe and plan on hitting 7 in that shoe.

Have you any experience wih the Adidas powerlift 2.0? That's the shoe I have currently and my first dedicated lifting shoe. So far I love it but feel as if the 5/8in heel maybe hindering my deadlifts but I just started deadlifting again after an injury.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Have you any experience wih the Adidas powerlift 2.0? That's the shoe I have currently and my first dedicated lifting shoe. So far I love it but feel as if the 5/8in heel maybe hindering my deadlifts but I just started deadlifting again after an injury.

Deadlifting with a pitched heel is going to put you back on the DL IMO.

For the oly shoes, it's for squat and bench ONLY for everyone that I train with. For pulling: wrestling shoes, chucks or just socks.......for many reasons.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Deadlifting with a pitched heel is going to put you back on the DL IMO.

For the oly shoes, it's for squat and bench ONLY for everyone that I train with. For pulling: wrestling shoes, chucks or just socks.......for many reasons.

I competely understand where you're coming from and that's why I'm asking for opinions. I do know several ppl who have PR'ed in lifting shoes with heels which makes me question whether it's a universal thing to avoid them for pulling or an individualistic thing. Right now I feel like I'm doing a slight deficit dead but I'm going to work on some form issues and see if I can change that or at least get comfortable pulling with them.

Thanks for your response, I think I may get a set of chucks or just go barefoot if all else fails. What do you use personally UHC?

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I competely understand where you're coming from and that's why I'm asking for opinions. I do know several ppl who have PR'ed in lifting shoes with heels which makes me question whether it's a universal thing to avoid them for pulling or an individualistic thing. Right now I feel like I'm doing a slight deficit dead but I'm going to work on some form issues and see if I can change that or at least get comfortable pulling with them.

Thanks for your response, I think I may get a set of chucks or just go barefoot if all else fails. What do you use personally UHC?

With a correct pull, you're pulling back, not up essentially... and the pitched heel somewhat gets you over the bar a little too much (forward) and thus may force a high hips pull putting too much pressure on the lower lumbar region but also forcing your hips to overcompensate when you're about to lock out at the top. Some people do pull in them, but not the big boys that I've seen (just personally stating, not saying they're wrong).

I pull in chucks and when I get on the platform in August and Oct, I will be pulling in just socks to lessen the distance that extra half inch (they all count!).

What injury forced you on the DL brother? Whatever the injury, ditch the adipowers for pulling....your hips and back will thank you.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

No, I use the Adipowers (the red ones). I got them when they first were released. Before that I used the Pendlay 2010's (got them in '09 as a pre-released shoe).

I don't perform my pulls (deadlifts) in my Oly shoes. I do that barefoot. You could pull in them and when I was Oly lifting I did. I just think it's more advantageous to pull in deadlift slippers or socks.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I've been squatting and deading barefoot. Is this problematic or beneficial? I just don't feel stable in shoes although I have not tried a pair specific to lifting

To each his own - look at Arnold in his hey day always barefoot

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
With a correct pull, you're pulling back, not up essentially... and the pitched heel somewhat gets you over the bar a little too much (forward) and thus may force a high hips pull putting too much pressure on the lower lumbar region but also forcing your hips to overcompensate when you're about to lock out at the top. Some people do pull in them, but not the big boys that I've seen (just personally stating, not saying they're wrong).

I pull in chucks and when I get on the platform in August and Oct, I will be pulling in just socks to lessen the distance that extra half inch (they all count!).

What injury forced you on the DL brother? Whatever the injury, ditch the adipowers for pulling....your hips and back will thank you.

No, I use the Adipowers (the red ones). I got them when they first were released. Before that I used the Pendlay 2010's (got them in '09 as a pre-released shoe).

I don't perform my pulls (deadlifts) in my Oly shoes. I do that barefoot. You could pull in them and when I was Oly lifting I did. I just think it's more advantageous to pull in deadlift slippers or socks.

Thank you gentlemen immensely for the insight. I'm going to shut the fukk up and listen to you lol. I'll ditch the shoes for pulling or just get some chucks or other flat and solid soled shoe.

UHC:

i sprained or tore an intercostal muscle...at least that's my diagnosis. Happened on a squat PR and ratcheting my lever lock belt too tight. Popped a blood vessel in my eye in the same set lol. Anyway it hurt to breathe, couldn't take full breaths of air at all for ~2wks, the area on my back/ribs was extremely sore and tender to the touch, hurt to bend over or lean to a side, etc. I kept re-aggravating it either in the gym (refused to not lift just stopped deads and reduced intensity) and during my sleep when tossing and turning. It's just now gotten better enough to DL again and I'm starting to squat heavy as well with very little pain.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It's only smaller if he is a small guy. The shoe's heel is in direct proportion to the size of the shoe. A size 12 shoe, like I wear, has a much higher heel. I personally know the owner Ivan. He used to lift for Jon back in the day. You'll also wait a loooonnnnng time for your shoe since he has them made back home in Columbia.

No reason to have issues with trusting the composite heel. Klokov has squatted 700+ raw with that shoe and most of the top Russian and Chinese lifters use that heeal. Also don't forget Brandon Lilly was wearing them while squatting in the high 7's raw. So, no need to give it a second thought.

I've also hit 6 in that very shoe and plan on hitting 7 in that shoe.

Suck my bawls big guy lol

Didn't realize that about the heel. Seems kinda dumb.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Did you guys know there is a website, weightlifting shoes.com. It reviews all the commercially available shoes.
dont matter to me though, cause i wear my crocs

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I'll wear my crocs at meets then just step out of them to deadlift.....LOL..... that, or I like pulling in old house slippers. There's nothing to stop your leg drive and they look funny as hell.

As for squatting - it's a really individual thing, largely determined by your mechanics and how tight your hamstrings are. The heel can help guys hit depth who normally struggle because of tight hamstrings.
The only down side is that they force you to drive down only, not out, which won't let you engage your hips as well.

I know it sounds horrible, but look in to some of the crossfit shoes. There's a pair with a plastic heel that is raised a bit less than most oly shoes I've seen. They even worked for a wide stance teammate.
Not the Chuck Taylor copies, the actual Reebok weightlifting-looking shoe.

As for the fit - I have really wide 14s as well. When I finally forund a wide pair of shoes to squat in it Suuuucked..... like, broke a toe while squatting..... suuuuucked.
That tightness spreads the load out over the whole side of your foot. Without it you might slide in the shoe and put all of the load on, say, a toe.... now, a big, purple toe.
Just my $0.02 but stay in tight shoes.

squid.ninetyfive

squid.ninetyfive

Mar 23, 2014
I use adipower addidas which have helped my depth tremendously. Nike Romeos and the new reebok Olys would be on my eval list if I were u

British Animal

British Animal

Jul 15, 2014
Combat boots cheap and wide fitted and nice heel, old skool bro and still work just fine

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic