Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Weightlifting shoes for squatting

Pawghunter

Pawghunter

MuscleHead
Jul 1, 2014
I am looking to get some weightlifting shoes for squatting. I am a size 14 with pretty much all sneakers. Just looking for some feedback from all of you guys with regards to sizing and performance. Fwiw, I am a medium stance squatter who always seems to good morning his squats up when handling above 80%.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
When I was able to squat I was given a tip to use the Converse flat footed shoes. I like them a lot. The problem with regular shoes is that they aren't stable. The Converse are flat, and they gave me some stability. BUT, there is no heal to drive off from.

But I read a lot of guys like to squat in OLY shoes because you have a heal to drive off of.

Pawghunter

Pawghunter

MuscleHead
Jul 1, 2014
I am definitely looking for something with a heel to drive off of, I have tried chucks in the past and I was not a fan. Appreciate the info.

P

pumpingiron22

Mar 2, 2014
I wear converse too I heard onyx are pretty good.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you're a med stance, high bar squatter Oly shoes would def help you. The heel makes it easier to hit depth, there is no compression of the heel so you get greater transfer of energy, and it's like being cemented in concrete when it comes stability.

Here's a decent shoe at a great price.

http://www.pendlay.com/2013-Pendlay-Weightlifting-Shoes_c_305.html

I squat and press in my Adidas Adipowers. You can look at my journal to see what I'm doing.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
If you're a med stance, high bar squatter Oly shoes would def help you. The heel makes it easier to hit depth, there is no compression of the heel so you get greater transfer of energy, and it's like being cemented in concrete when it comes stability.

I squat and press in my Adidas Adipowers. You can look at my journal to see what I'm doing.

His feet may be a little wide for the adipowers. I rock them now and rave about them but the narrowness is actually beneficial for me to lock in but may be too narrow for him.

He needs something better than what he has though.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Actually BI you and POB sold me on the adipowers. They are my second love.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
His feet may be a little wide for the adipowers. I rock them now and rave about them but the narrowness is actually beneficial for me to lock in but may be too narrow for him.

He needs something better than what he has though.

I crank my shoes tight so they are a bit uncomfortable but it's like I'm not even wearing shoes.... they feel like an extension of me.

And I agree... if someone is just squatting in their shoes they're losing power and also creating instabilities which isn't safe.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Actually BI you and POB sold me on the adipowers. They are my second love.

I've been squatting in Oly shoes since '09 and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014

Those are incredible shoes!

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Recently I got some generic vans looking flat shoes at Ross for 19.95 and ripped the insoles out they feel great real solid like your anchored to the ground.. Use them for low bar a lil wider than shoulder squats and there perfect for Deadlifts but i would love to get some pedlays for squating a lil deeper ... Had some rouges with a heel but never used them ... But what you could do is stand on a couple dimes with ur heels to see if that corrects your form before you go spend money in shoes and find out that's not the issue... Either way not a bad investment anyways.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic