Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

Weightlifting shoes for squatting

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Recently I got some generic vans looking flat shoes at Ross for 19.95 and ripped the insoles out they feel great real solid like your anchored to the ground.. Use them for low bar a lil wider than shoulder squats and there perfect for Deadlifts but i would love to get some pedlays for squating a lil deeper ... Had some rouges with a heel but never used them ... But what you could do is stand on a couple dimes with ur heels to see if that corrects your form before you go spend money in shoes and find out that's not the issue... Either way not a bad investment anyways.

If you feel anchored with some rubber soled shoes you'd be blown away with a pair of Oly shoes. The difference is greater than night and day.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I should also mention you don't have to be a narrow stance, high bar squatter to utilize Oly shoes. I'm a med stance, low back squatter and still use Oly shoes. I used to be the former due to my Oly background.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I've been squatting and deading barefoot. Is this problematic or beneficial? I just don't feel stable in shoes although I have not tried a pair specific to lifting

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I've been squatting and deading barefoot. Is this problematic or beneficial? I just don't feel stable in shoes although I have not tried a pair specific to lifting

That's b/c regular shoes have rubber soles that compress and what's even worse is that they don't compress evenly which puts sheering forces on the knees.

Pawghunter

Pawghunter

MuscleHead
Jul 1, 2014
Appreciate all the responses and info so far, I think I am going to splurge on the adipowers. I am just concerned that they will be a bit narrow.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Appreciate all the responses and info so far, I think I am going to splurge on the adipowers. I am just concerned that they will be a bit narrow.

If you buy them remember they will be painful in the beginning until your break them in. This is the case with pretty much all Oly shoes soooooo just tighten them when you squat and than when you're done loosen them up. The more you wear them the faster you'll break them un.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
If you buy them remember they will be painful in the beginning until your break them in. This is the case with pretty much all Oly shoes soooooo just tighten them when you squat and than when you're done loosen them up. The more you wear them the faster you'll break them un.

This couldn't be more accurate here!!!

I can clearly tell you that squatting with the first few sessions was very aching. Now they are the most form fitting shoe I've ever had.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Just need to keep in mind that you won't necessarily squat the same way in the shoes. It took an adjustment to UHC's squat to get him to hit depth in them. Takes practice. Unfortunately there is only one way to tell if they are really for you.

If you're a medium stance, you might not want the large heel of the adipower. Something from risto or inov8 might be more suitable. Much smaller heel will help you get the torso upright.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Just need to keep in mind that you won't necessarily squat the same way in the shoes. It took an adjustment to UHC's squat to get him to hit depth in them. Takes practice. Unfortunately there is only one way to tell if they are really for you.

If you're a medium stance, you might not want the large heel of the adipower. Something from risto or inov8 might be more suitable. Much smaller heel will help you get the torso upright.

Risto actually has the highest heel.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Risto actually has the highest heel.

One of the guys at my gym is a 198 with a 635lb squat raw-no wraps. He wears the risto. The heel is much smaller than the adipower. I put them side by side to compare.

Plus its a solid wood heel not the plastic one that I would have issues trusting. They may be good for a 400lb clean but an 800lb squat? sketchy IMO.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
One of the guys at my gym is a 198 with a 635lb squat raw-no wraps. He wears the risto. The heel is much smaller than the adipower. I put them side by side to compare.

Plus its a solid wood heel not the plastic one that I would have issues trusting. They may be good for a 400lb clean but an 800lb squat? sketchy IMO.

It's only smaller if he is a small guy. The shoe's heel is in direct proportion to the size of the shoe. A size 12 shoe, like I wear, has a much higher heel. I personally know the owner Ivan. He used to lift for Jon back in the day. You'll also wait a loooonnnnng time for your shoe since he has them made back home in Columbia.

No reason to have issues with trusting the composite heel. Klokov has squatted 700+ raw with that shoe and most of the top Russian and Chinese lifters use that heeal. Also don't forget Brandon Lilly was wearing them while squatting in the high 7's raw. So, no need to give it a second thought.

I've also hit 6 in that very shoe and plan on hitting 7 in that shoe.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic