Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Versa Grips worth their weight?

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
I have the varsa grips and my fiance has the pro. I find myself wearing my fiance's pink pros because they are better. The strap on the pro is thinner so it does not thicken the bar as much. The strap is also a bit longer which helps get it around already thick bars like olympians or rubber coated bars. The strap is also stickier. I like them both waaaaay more than conventional straps. Spend the extra $$ and get the pros.

As for the strap/no strap debate... I'll take striated spinal erectors and a huge quad sweep over big forearms. If the forearms lag, train 'em separate.

Guess I'm just hard headed about using wraps... But I also do pl meets. A real good friend of mine told me to lose the straps a long time ago, but nothing wrong with bein diff... I don't use straps and have great spinal erectors and quad sweep.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
I can hold my own on deads. (3xbw deadlifter) But I always use straps unless I am going for an "official" lift. Anything above a single I use DOH and straps.

The fact is, I do deads mostly for the development you get from them. (but considering a run at powerlifting) Double overhand is FAR superior as far as lat activation.

Not to mention the risk of bicep rupture GREATLY increases with mixed grip.

You dont have to believe me....here is a study done on this exact topic. DOH is WAY superior. (now for "official" lifts, sure...straps are a no go...but if you are not a powerlifter, why do the exercise in a way that is 1) more dangerous and 2) less effective?.....ego?)

http://uknowledge.uky.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1085&context=gradschool_theses

forgot to mention, yes, I have a set of versa-gripps 'pro' and love them. Much nicer then regular straps. No more busted blood vessels in my hands on heavy sets.

Nice pull. What's your body weight

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Nice pull. What's your body weight

Right now I am just over 200. Back to eating after a 2 month cut. Going for a new PR in early May. Not sure if I will go for 605 or 615. Fri at the end of my 5/3/1 cycle I pulled 515 for 7 so I should be close.

This is a few weeks back when I was 195ish. It is a 585 pull. (no straps) This was at the end of a workout and I think I had more in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Right now I am just over 200. Back to eating after a 2 month cut. Going for a new PR in early May. Not sure if I will go for 605 or 615. Fri at the end of my 5/3/1 cycle I pulled 515 for 7 so I should be close.

This is a few weeks back when I was 195ish. It is a 585 pull. (no straps) This was at the end of a workout and I think I had more in the tank.

Good job man

U

Usealittle

Feb 15, 2012
edit......

Last edited:
U

Usealittle

Feb 15, 2012

looks like a stiff ass bar!

nice pull.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
What was his body weight and height?

Here ya go......

I've had the pleasure of training with Steve and even now he's something to behold. And actually, he's contemplating making a comeback...

And he's shorter than me so I'd say he's around 5'10 and he was in the 275lbs class (I believe for that lift).

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I can hold my own on deads. (3xbw deadlifter) But I always use straps unless I am going for an "official" lift. Anything above a single I use DOH and straps.

The fact is, I do deads mostly for the development you get from them. (but considering a run at powerlifting) Double overhand is FAR superior as far as lat activation.

Use the hook grip (olympic weightlifters grip) and your grip will NEVER fail you... period. It's a type of double overhand and it's the strongest grip you can use.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
For those who don't know who Steve Goggins is.... here you go. A little bit of history. The first guy to EVER squat 1100+lbs.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Use the hook grip (olympic weightlifters grip) and your grip will NEVER fail you... period. It's a type of double overhand and it's the strongest grip you can use.

I am familiar with the hook grip. Unfortunately my fingers are not long enough to use it. (Big palms with small fingers)

I am not able to reach to lock around the thumb. So mixed is my best bet. (And straps for rep work)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I am familiar with the hook grip. Unfortunately my fingers are not long enough to use it. (Big palms with small fingers)

I am not able to reach to lock around the thumb. So mixed is my best bet. (And straps for rep work)

Trust me, your hands are big enough. If pocket hercules could hook grip a 20kg bar, you can to. Or are you going to tell me your hands are smaller than someone who was shorter than 5'. You just need someone to show you how to do it properly.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Trust me, your hands are big enough. If pocket hercules could hook grip a 20kg bar, you can to. Or are you going to tell me your hands are smaller than someone who was shorter than 5'. You just need someone to show you how to do it properly.

Maybe I am doing it wrong....but I can only see how many ways I can wrap my fingers around a bar.

There is no way this is happening for me.

HookGrip.jpg

Here is a quick pic of my palm vs finger ratio

2013-04-17154635_zpsdd5119f4.jpg

And best pic I could get of trying a hook grip

2013-04-17154607_zps8641f679.jpg

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic