arcticranger
What's New?

Versa Grips worth their weight?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I like them, the rubber holds better than regular straps on certain things. I do bring both though.

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
First and only straps I've tried...

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
Last edited:
C

Cheops

VIP Member
Oct 15, 2010
Unless you're a competitive power lifter why would you want to limit how much weight you can deadlift because of your grip?

I want my back to be larger and if I limit myself to how much weight I can hold for 8-12 reps I will never fatigue my back sufficiently to make any gains. Of course, if you only do heavy triples you probably won't need to use straps., but when you are getting down and dirty ripping off 10 reps of heavy deads your grip will begin to falter a couple of reps before your back is ready to quit.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Unless you're a competitive power lifter why would you want to limit how much weight you can deadlift because of your grip?

I want my back to be larger and if I limit myself to how much weight I can hold for 8-12 reps I will never fatigue my back sufficiently to make any gains. Of course, if you only do heavy triples you probably won't need to use straps., but when you are getting down and dirty ripping off 10 reps of heavy deads your grip will begin to falter a couple of reps before your back is ready to quit.

Makes sense for you, everyone is different. I have no problem holding the weight to do sets of 12..10..8.. or triples... Sometimes gives when I go for a max. My grip doesn't limit how much I can do my sets with.

burkdog24

burkdog24

Apr 10, 2013
I bought some Versa Gripps Straps and love them. The traditional wraps slip and take longer to wrap around the bar. With the Versa Gripps its made of leather so it has a strong grip and it wraps the bar very quickly. They are worth the extra money. I would invest in a pair.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If Steve Goggins (one of the best PLers to grace the platform) used straps than I think it's ok if others want to. And btw Steve pulled 900lbs raw in the gym and 880lbs in competition.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
If Steve Goggins (one of the best PLers to grace the platform) used straps than I think it's ok if others want to. And btw Steve pulled 900lbs raw in the gym and 880lbs in competition.

What was his body weight and height?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I can hold my own on deads. (3xbw deadlifter) But I always use straps unless I am going for an "official" lift. Anything above a single I use DOH and straps.

The fact is, I do deads mostly for the development you get from them. (but considering a run at powerlifting) Double overhand is FAR superior as far as lat activation.

Not to mention the risk of bicep rupture GREATLY increases with mixed grip.

You dont have to believe me....here is a study done on this exact topic. DOH is WAY superior. (now for "official" lifts, sure...straps are a no go...but if you are not a powerlifter, why do the exercise in a way that is 1) more dangerous and 2) less effective?.....ego?)

http://uknowledge.uky.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1085&context=gradschool_theses

forgot to mention, yes, I have a set of versa-gripps 'pro' and love them. Much nicer then regular straps. No more busted blood vessels in my hands on heavy sets.

Last edited:
GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I have the varsa grips and my fiance has the pro. I find myself wearing my fiance's pink pros because they are better. The strap on the pro is thinner so it does not thicken the bar as much. The strap is also a bit longer which helps get it around already thick bars like olympians or rubber coated bars. The strap is also stickier. I like them both waaaaay more than conventional straps. Spend the extra $$ and get the pros.

As for the strap/no strap debate... I'll take striated spinal erectors and a huge quad sweep over big forearms. If the forearms lag, train 'em separate.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic