Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Training Musts?

FitnessBender

FitnessBender

TID Lady Member
Nov 30, 2011
I am curious about other people's workout routines. What type of training do you do, and is there anything that is a "must" in your program? It can be a type of workout, certain move, anything. Personally I like variety in my workouts, so I switch things up as often as possible.

I think for me just doing some type of workout is my "must do."

Also, water is a must for me. If I don't drink enough water I am tired all day.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
These days my training "must" is my warmup - I do what is known as the Defranco Agile 8 pretty regularly, plus a couple of my own warmups/stretches I've done for most of the last 30 yrs and also target some of my typical problem areas (e.g. right side IT band, right bum shoulder).

Joe DeFranco Agile 8: (scroll down) DeFranco's Training ..:: The Ultimate Way To Become A Better Athlete ::..

I also incorporate the basics: ATF squats, walking lunges, leg press, SLDLs, DLs in every training split I do - I change frequently. This past year I've backed off on the upper body stuff because of a lot of tendonitis & a bum shoulder, but that is fine because I am also downsizing for a different competition category. I've been lifting for 30 yrs and have a decent muscle base. It is a different process to drop the muscle than to build it. I'm more interested in maintaining functional strength.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i dont really have any must other than just going. i do like to walk on the treadmill before every workout to get warmed up. im a terrible stretcher and so i get the blood moving my walking on the incline on the treadmill, i cant walk into the weight room until after i have had atleast 5 mins and have the starting of a sweat breaking out. so i guess that is a must. but other than that, i just wing it pretty much depending on what equipment is available and how i feel.

FitnessBender

FitnessBender

TID Lady Member
Nov 30, 2011
Thanks for the link Sassy! I am going to try out the agile 8.

And thank you both for sharing. :)

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I need to make stretching a must, but I'm sooo horrible about it!
I've been stuck on supersets and tri sets(different muscle groups) and for me its a must because it helps keep things tightly compact and possible with a busy schedule.

Water of course

And other than that, nadda is neccesary to me, but there are of course lifts I love and don't mind doing over and over..... hack squats, face pulls, and oh press are a few of my faves

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
I'll just add make sure you all stretch quads, hamstrings faithfuly if your doing dead lifts , stiff deads or good mornings So you don't tear a hamstring l8r!

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I'll just add make sure you all stretch quads, hamstrings faithfuly if your doing dead lifts , stiff deads or good mornings So you don't tear a hamstring l8r!

That's my trouble area!! Hamstrings are so stupid tight! But I've been working on it

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
That's my trouble area!! Hamstrings are so stupid tight! But I've been working on it

Foam roller as well! For those tight areas like IT band / tie-in point, sitting on a tennis ball or baseball helps get in there where the foam roller won't. I have had problems w/ an insanely tight IT band since around 2003. One of the best stretches I do for it is a hurdler stretch - I know this is the one we all used to do in elementary school (back in the early 70s anyway) and they later told us it was bad to do it w/ your bent leg behind you instead of in front of you. Well screw that - I've got the flexibility to do that and I'll go from that particular stretch into a side split in both direction, and then a full front split - its about the only thing that really hits that IT connection point that is sort of deep in the glute. I also do the ham stretch where you cross your legs standing up , and basically touch your toes. It stretches each side of the ham /glute a little more.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
after i do my heaviest sets(of anything including curls) i have to scream as loudly as possible and then cry like a four year old if noe one says "atta boy: :D

no seriously since i tend to workout in the morning and fasted i have to have a stim of some kind. lately it has been Rockstar on the drive to the gym. but a preworkout is just as good.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Foam roller as well! For those tight areas like IT band / tie-in point, sitting on a tennis ball or baseball helps get in there where the foam roller won't. I have had problems w/ an insanely tight IT band since around 2003. One of the best stretches I do for it is a hurdler stretch - I know this is the one we all used to do in elementary school (back in the early 70s anyway) and they later told us it was bad to do it w/ your bent leg behind you instead of in front of you. Well screw that - I've got the flexibility to do that and I'll go from that particular stretch into a side split in both direction, and then a full front split - its about the only thing that really hits that IT connection point that is sort of deep in the glute. I also do the ham stretch where you cross your legs standing up , and basically touch your toes. It stretches each side of the ham /glute a little more.

I've just started foam rolling! and loving /hating it

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I've just started foam rolling! and loving /hating it

A tennis ball or 2 tennis balls in a tube sock are good options for those areas that the foam roller can't get into - this includes your upper back and the glute / tie-in areas.

FitnessBender

FitnessBender

TID Lady Member
Nov 30, 2011

I do lots of yoga poses that focus on stretching my IT band. Pigeon pose is one of the best. I tweaked it once, and let's just say I don't handle any type of injury well so I would like to prevent ever doing that again.

Not being able to do everything I am used to was tortorous to me!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic