Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Training for my first 100 mile running race: Aug 2013

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Bud, you think you could send me one of those watches when you get tired of it???

Amazing photo of the night lights. Was that another midnight run? I bet it was darker than the photo, so you had to use headlamps, right?

Have a great week.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Amazing photo of the night lights. Was that another midnight run? I bet it was darker than the photo, so you had to use headlamps, right?
Funny you should ask, it was pretty dark especially as for the most part we had trees on either side of us which made it darker. We were out in an open stretch on a trail for the photo so that was a bit lighter. We ran the first hour or so with our headlamps on then we decided to turn them off for a while to see if our eyes would adjust to the dark. Took about 10mins to do that, we ended up running the last 2.5 hrs with no artificial light which was really cool :D

iron-whisperer

iron-whisperer

Jan 3, 2013
incredible bro! I enjoy running but past three or four miles I lose interest and drive! LOL... Congrats man on your new direction, Im rooting for you!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Tried out a new meal from the menu of one of our local vegetarian restaurants, also gave them a few cartons of oat milk so they can make me their 'bubble tea' using it.

Soy black peppered steak with fresh veges and coconut rice. Delicious!

file.php

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I had that before I ran my 14km last night, I really the find all of these non-meat meals to be very easily digestible and the energy you get from them appears to be both fast and sustained.

This morning I ran a quick 5km then tonight I'm heading into the hills with a few friends to do some hill repeats, probably will be somewhere around another 25km or so. Looking forward to Saturday with the family now, perfect start to the weekend MF.
[/FONT]

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Hard to believe this used to be part of my favourite run route, a stunning 21km out-and-back hill run up in the Port Hills of Canterbury...

575611_10151494519963720_525842308_n.jpg

Three years on from our first big earthquake and it's still exactly as nature decided to leave it, I'm glad I wasn't running up there that day as I'm sure I wouldn't be sitting here now.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Gorgeous area to be running in. When I did run I loved doing trails in the hills and mountains punishing but your mind is so engaged you forget you're about to die :) Keep it up MF!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks Halo, yeah I am lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world !!

972005_10151500927908720_637640807_n.jpg

Just treated myself to a pair of trail shoes and trying out some new vegan food-based gels. They're refillable as well so I like the fact that they are eco friendly. Going to try them out over the weekend MF.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Man those trail shoes are good, such a big improvement from my old Asics Trabuco's. I can run uphill on loose gravel and I don't lose any grip at all, they're also so damn comfortable they feel like I'm wearing slippers haha.

Last night I did a double hill repeat with my running partner up our Rapaki track, its well known to all local runners as a tough slog. It's only 3.5km to the top, but man you have to work to get there! Here's my write up from last night...

"Double Rapaki track hill repeat with Jono, really good session working pretty hard on the uphills (which comprised 50% of the run).

Split #1, 47mins: I attacked hard on the final 1km climb then ran out of gas about 100m from the top! Jono passed me and I managed to somehow claw back to finish level with him at the peak ~ round I to Jono though, he seemed stronger and the whole way up he had a slight lead on me

Split #2, 46mins: I think we might have gone up the initial 2.5km a little quicker than the first time (?) but we both agreed to take the final climb a bit easier. Having said that, about halfway up I was feeling really good so put a few surges in and took over at the front. Every time Jono pulled level I surged again (I found this quite amusing, sorry SuperJ). Final sprint to the top ~ round II to me.

Descended a lot faster and managed to run a negative split, great run that started in sunshine and finished in the dark MF."

375121_10151505583608720_1733155020_n.jpg

(you can see the final 1km climb I am talking about in the background of the photo)

Stats:

Distance: 14.2km
Time: 1:32.55
Ave Spd: 9.17kph
Total ascent: 1,910ft

Min HR: 107bpm
Ave HR: 162bpm
Max HR: 188bpm (only 4 beats off my max)!

Last edited:
nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
That's a steep hill! Looks like a great place to train and those are impressive times considering the terrain.

Nice pics on page 2! You seem to live by some really nice places to train.

How long will your training runs be towards the end? Do you think you'll be going out on 50 mile runs or anything crazy like that?

Last edited:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
That's a steep hill! Looks like a great place to train and those are impressive times considering the terrain.
Thanks man, yeah it was a tough session and training with my mate only made it harder due to manly pride haha.

Nice pics on page 2! You seem to live by some really nice places to train.
I am so lucky, I literally have everything at my back door. Good hills, both groomed and ungroomed trails and long straight roads. Perfect for runners.

How long will your training runs be towards the end? Do you think you'll be going out on 50 mile runs or anything crazy like that?
I've actually just been ruled out of the race on medical grounds, I have some heart issues going on that I'm working through at the moment:

http://www.theironden.com/threads/14987-Damn-heart-problems-%28again%29

Having said that, I'm gonna keep running and hopefully I will still be allowed the occasional long run. I did a good 50km last month and I think with the way things are 50-80km will probably be my max. I'm looking at having to get a stent fitted sometime soon.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Now that I have been 'instructed' by my cardiologist that I can't compete or race anymore I will be back in the gym. No point solely running if I can't enter any running races, so I'm going to just try and chase the combo of staying as fit and strong as possible. I'll probably start logging my weight training sessions back in my powerlifting journal and write up the running in here ;)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic