Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Switching from high bar to low bar ?'s ...

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I squat "lowish" bar. Not a true low bar, but certainly not high bar, and I use a wide grip. I was at a seminar this weekend put on by Boris Sheiko and Misha K. Misha K squats true high bar like a good commie. I don't think I could even properly execute a good high bar squat.

I think the key to squatting low bar without shoulder issues is using the widest grip possible that still allows you to keep your scap and upper back tight.

I used to have a very narrow grip with a true low bar squat, but as I started moving up in weight, my shoulders and elbows were getting destroyed. I moved the bar up about an inch so it sits basically right on my rear delts, and widened my grip way out. Somehow, i ended up in a tighter position that way, and my squat started shooting up, and the pain was gone.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I squat "lowish" bar. Not a true low bar, but certainly not high bar, and I use a wide grip. I was at a seminar this weekend put on by Boris Sheiko and Misha K. Misha K squats true high bar like a good commie. I don't think I could even properly execute a good high bar squat.

I think the key to squatting low bar without shoulder issues is using the widest grip possible that still allows you to keep your scap and upper back tight.

I used to have a very narrow grip with a true low bar squat, but as I started moving up in weight, my shoulders and elbows were getting destroyed. I moved the bar up about an inch so it sits basically right on my rear delts, and widened my grip way out. Somehow, i ended up in a tighter position that way, and my squat started shooting up, and the pain was gone.
Damn, you're pretty lucky to be have been able to attend a seminar with those two guys. Bet it was really insightful.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
I tried low bar a couple times and just couldn't get comfortable with it. The fact that high bar takes your back out of the lift alone is reason enough for me to stick with it. My traps are one of my best assets so it's definitely more comfortable and stable to squat with the bar high. I'm always willing to try something new but I just couldn't get a feel for the low bar squat.
After football season I intend to focus more on heavy workouts and incorporate more of a powerlifting mentality so perhaps I'll give it another day in court then

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
HA, you can still go heavy with high bar. I tried some low bar squatting a few weeks ago. It was very uncomfortable for me as i hadnt done it in many years. Going to keep them around on occassion with a wide stance to bring more hammie into play.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I think the key to changing stances, bar position, etc... is by doing it with small changes to the technique. If you go from high to low bar instantly, it's going to feel like shit and you won't give it the time it needs.

Another key point is like what porky said... we're all built different so what works for one may not work for another. Just don't use that though as an excuse not to give it a solid try. I used that same bullshit excuse with sumo pulls for years. I'm a conventional puller but now I use sumo pulls as an assistance lift and it's helped me tremendously in my squats and pulls.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I think the key to changing stances, bar position, etc... is by doing it with small changes to the technique. If you go from high to low bar instantly, it's going to feel like shit and you won't give it the time it needs.

Another key point is like what porky said... we're all built different so what works for one may not work for another. Just don't use that though as an excuse not to give it a solid try. I used that same bullshit excuse with sumo pulls for years. I'm a conventional puller but now I use sumo pulls as an assistance lift and it's helped me tremendously in my squats and pulls.

Ed Coan preaches what both you and Porky has said.

In his deadlift video with Mark Bell he talks about when a conventional puller tries to learn sumo they should gradually over time move the feet out until they find their right spot but most like I did go extreme wide and give up.

Going to take the time to learn sumo for assistant work also because it has great carry over from what I am hearing and it's something to mix up zerchers and gm's with.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Ed Coan preaches what both you and Porky has said.

In his deadlift video with Mark Bell he talks about when a conventional puller tries to learn sumo they should gradually over time move the feet out until they find their right spot but most like I did go extreme wide and give up.

Going to take the time to learn sumo for assistant work also because it has great carry over from what I am hearing and it's something to mix up zerchers and gm's with.

I'd recommend starting out using a low block. It makes it easier to get comfortable with the position. It still works on what you want it to do which is carryover to your main lifts and you'll find in time it'll feel A LOT better pulling sumo from the floor.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I'd recommend starting out using a low block. It makes it easier to get comfortable with the position. It still works on what you want it to do which is carryover to your main lifts and you'll find in time it'll feel A LOT better pulling sumo from the floor.

If it's real bad off a chair is best to learn off.

D

dzul25

Oct 10, 2014
Few things i have noticed since switching to low bar.

Positives: Increased squat max by almost 6-7% instantly. Helps not push my top forward so i can sit in the hole better. Keeps weight over my hips more, helps alleviates hip pain i have with high bar.
Negatives: Hard on shoulders. If your rear delts are not large, or substantial to make a shelf, it puts a lot of tension on shoulders. Outright uncomfortable when getting used to it. You think the weight is going to roll off your back, decreasing confidence and decreasing potential weight lifted.(will be remedied when you get comfortable with it)

Other than those few negatives i really like it. Wish my gym had larger equipment(bar and rack) so i could move my grip wider to lock the bar into my back more. Just my experience so far since i just switched fairly recently.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I switched to low bar 3yrs ago and haven't looked back. High Bar just feels awkward now. But shoulder mobility is key. When I switched is when I first got my Elbow tendinitis and haven been fighting it ever since. and x2 on **** Crossfit

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Went on an experiment run the other day, as did two of my training partners.
One hated it and bailed immediately.
The other box squatted 370 for 5 with no wraps low bar and had only hit anything above 350 wrapped up. He was jumping all over the place screaming "405 is falling on Monday!!!"
I gradually lowered the bar each set while doing a 6 x 3 with 435... the last set, when the bar was lowest, was the most smooth and fastest of them all. My lower back was blowed THEE **** up for the next hour, so this should be interesting. Max effort on Monday so this should be interesting!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Told ya.... lower it gradually but I wouldn't have lowered it each set. I would have taken longer to get used to the bar position. That's probably why 1 ditched it immediately.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic