jacobss
What's New?

Supplements For Lowering Bad Cholesterol

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks CBS, appreciate that buddy.

I do think that a lot can be done to improve the overall health of the individual, and definitely improve their chances of not having a heart attack... but honestly? To a large degree diet can reverse many if not all cardiac concerns but not always with a 100% success rate. Undiagnosed and/or underlying issues can often be a contributing factor and the unlucky individuals may unfortunately receive little warning of them.

Diet, exercise, and a healthy bodyweight are not the only markers for a healthy heart. Anyone ~ Even the most healthy and successful athletes, due to genetic factors may be at risk for transient ischemic attack, stroke, or myocardial infarction. Genetic predispositions are still factors that can lead to atherosclerosis (even if the person appears healthy), and even if they have low LDL levels. I am aware that doctors have been using an enzyme called Lp-Pla2 (lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2) to measure the risk of someone suffering a heart attack, as Lp-Pla2 has been linked to unstable and rupture-prone plaque in the arteries. Maybe you or Dr. Jim could further elaborate on this?

Diet can no doubt help, certain supplements can be of even further benefit but if you're going to go out that way then often there's very little control you have over that!

Last edited:
C

CBS

Jan 7, 2014
I am aware that doctors have been using an enzyme called Lp-Pla2 (lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2) to measure the risk of someone suffering a heart attack, as Lp-Pla2 has been linked to unstable and rupture-prone plaque in the arteries.

Measuring Apolipoproteins Does Not Help Risk Prediction

Sue Hughes
June 19, 2012

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/766000?t=1#1

Measuring newer lipid biomarkers with the aim of honing risk prediction for heart disease doesn't actually appear to help very much in this regard, according to a the largest study yet to look at this issue.

The study, published in the June 20, 2012 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, found that measuring a combination of apolipoprotein B (apoB) and apoA1, lipoprotein (a) (Lp[a]), or lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 (Lp-PLA2) gave worse predictions of risk than current lipid measures—total and HDL cholesterol. In addition, the study showed that measuring these alternative biomarkers added little information when added to conventional risk factors.

Coauthor of the current study, Dr Emanuele Di Angelantonio (University of Cambridge, UK), commented to heartwire: "These are the best data yet on these apolipoprotein biomarkers, and our conclusion is that it is probably not worth measuring them routinely for screening purposes."

The Emerging Risk Factors C. LIpid-related markers and cardiovascular disease prediction. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association 2012;307(23):2499-506. JAMA Network | JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association | Lipid-Related Markers and Cardiovascular Disease PredictionLipid-Related Markers and CVD Prediction

Context The value of assessing various emerging lipid-related markers for prediction of first cardiovascular events is debated.

Objective To determine whether adding information on apolipoprotein B and apolipoprotein A-I, lipoprotein(a), or lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 to total cholesterol and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) improves cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk prediction.

Design, Setting, and Participants Individual records were available for 165 544 participants without baseline CVD in 37 prospective cohorts (calendar years of recruitment: 1968-2007) with up to 15 126 incident fatal or nonfatal CVD outcomes (10 132 CHD and 4994 stroke outcomes) during a median follow-up of 10.4 years (interquartile range, 7.6-14 years).

Main Outcome Measures Discrimination of CVD outcomes and reclassification of participants across predicted 10-year risk categories of low (<10%), intermediate (10%-<20%), and high (?20%) risk.

Results The addition of information on various lipid-related markers to total cholesterol, HDL-C, and other conventional risk factors yielded improvement in the model's discrimination: C-index change, 0.0006 (95% CI, 0.0002-0.0009) for the combination of apolipoprotein B and A-I; 0.0016 (95% CI, 0.0009-0.0023) for lipoprotein(a); and 0.0018 (95% CI, 0.0010-0.0026) for lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 mass. Net reclassification improvements were less than 1% with the addition of each of these markers to risk scores containing conventional risk factors. We estimated that for 100 000 adults aged 40 years or older, 15 436 would be initially classified at intermediate risk using conventional risk factors alone. Additional testing with a combination of apolipoprotein B and A-I would reclassify 1.1%; lipoprotein(a), 4.1%; and lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2mass, 2.7% of people to a 20% or higher predicted CVD risk category and, therefore, in need of statin treatment under Adult Treatment Panel III guidelines.

Conclusion In a study of individuals without known CVD, the addition of information on the combination of apolipoprotein B and A-I, lipoprotein(a), or lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 mass to risk scores containing total cholesterol and HDL-C led to slight improvement in CVD prediction.

BR1217

BR1217

May 29, 2014
I stopped taking Tren and my LDL lowered from 225 to 130. :)

Meathead.

Meathead.

VIP Member
Apr 1, 2011
Knocked my total cholesterol down 35 points ... Raises HDL the good stuff up 25 points , lowered ldl the bad stuff 50 points in 30 days

G

guinessforstrength

VIP Member
Sep 24, 2010
After a short cycle of tren n test, then 5 weeks of pct(torem and clomid). I had my bloods done. My total cholesterol was 349. My potassium and liver values were slightly elevated as well. Dr wanted to put me on lipitor. Read to much bad stuff about it, I figured it chol was so high from tren/ anti estrogen. Because they've never been high before. I never started lipitor. Instead cleaned up diet and increased cardio. Also started red yeast rice and fish oils. I know I need to get it rechecked, I will soon. U guys think it was high from term or the pct (torem/ clomid)?

biguglynewf

biguglynewf

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2010
Nandrolones cause all kinds of problems to the arteries. As does highly processed and refined sugary foods and recreational stimulant drugs like cocaine or methamphetamine. Damaged arteries can mean your body starts overproducing cholesterol. So be wary of this.

Supplement wise....red rice yeast extract exhibits statin like effects. Very effective at lowering lol numbers. High doses of high quality fish oils as well and niacin are all good options to assist in keeping cholesterol levels lower. Remember raising hdl is a good thing all while lowering ldl.

many doctors still haven't got off the low fat intake diets.....they seriously do not keep current. I think that is completely unprofessional. They should do everything they can to be current to assist patients.....not so much the case however.

p.s.... I love old threads.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Supplement wise....red rice yeast extract exhibits statin like effects. Very effective at lowering lol numbers. High doses of high quality fish oils as well and niacin are all good options to assist in keeping cholesterol levels lower. Remember raising hdl is a good thing all while lowering ldl.
Fantastic stuff, probably because it contains Monocolin K which is your active component of many statins. The chemical structure of both versions of Monocolin K appear to be more or less identical which explains why the red yeast rice works so well in lowering both total and LDL cholesterol. However I still always get our customers to run it alongside a well absorbed COQ10 (ideally Ubiquenol) just to be on the safe side.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
I think biguglynewf has it right. Damage to the arteries is causing the spike in your cholesterol as your body tries to repair the damage. Your body has a job to do and the best you can do is help it. Eat real clean and avoid processed foods and refined sugars. Reduce your simple carbs as much as you can. This will eliminate other sources of damage while you are on the the other meds. The high quality fish oil and rice will help as well. Bottom line I believe you are taking the perfect action.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic