Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Supplements For Lowering Bad Cholesterol

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Eat MOAR BEEF. Fatty delicious beef. Seriously. And whole eggs.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
No it doesnt. A lot of docs aren't even testing for it anymore. It doesn't play the role in heart disease we once thought it did. Look at the latest FDA approval for all the cholesterol drugs. When the health effects of cholesterol were disproven the drugs like lipitor were suddenly approved to be used as a treatment for numerous other conditions.

Cut the sugary crap out of your diet and the inflammation it causes in the arteries goes down. That's what will bring on the plaque from healing the inflammation.

I cut the sugary stuff out before. I did my first contest bodybuilding diet a while back and it didn't make a difference, my levels were still higher than normal.

Meat is loaded with cholesterol from what I've read, but cutting it out doesn't seem like a smart idea for strength and muscle gains.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Eat MOAR BEEF. Fatty delicious beef. Seriously. And whole eggs.

I've been eating whole eggs. I stopped doing egg whites. I felt like I was being wasteful.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Dietary fats and cholesterol will not have a negative impact on your levels

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I cut the sugary stuff out before. I did my first contest bodybuilding diet a while back and it didn't make a difference, my levels were still higher than normal.

Meat is loaded with cholesterol from what I've read, but cutting it out doesn't seem like a smart idea for strength and muscle gains.

You need to get up to date on cholesterol info. Eating food with fat or cholesterol doesn't affect your cholesterol levels. And eating like a bodyuilder whatever that means for two weeks isn't going to change much at all :p

Seriously, chill out. You're fine.

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
eating healthy is a life style.It takes time and patience but if u stay at it ..it will help u.If u eat like a fat ass not saying u do thats a problem..some guys just have that in their genetics and meds will be needed

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
My 2c...

1) Keep your oil & EFA intake up (coconut oil which is fantastic stuff, omega 3 etc)
2) Make sure you are doing some cardio each week ~ walking is fantastic, you don't have to turn into a runner to get results
3) Eat as close to nature as possible (lots of fruits and veges, raw, unprocessed, organic, fermented/sprouted foods, plenty of soluble & insoluble fibre)
4) Lower your bodyfat if you think that is an area you think needs some attention. Don't worry too much about losing strength: MUSCLE MOVES WEIGHT, NOT FAT.
5) Eat smaller portions to reduce overall calories but eat regularly and make sure the quality of your food is high
6) Minimise your sugar(s); fruit is okay though as the sugar absorption is slowed due to the fibre, minerals, pectin and other cofactors that are present
7) Look into using some of the best supplements for cholesterol (ones with the most scientific data behind them). Red yeast rice is essentially a natural statin as it contains a compound called monocolin K, so this would probably provide the greatest benefits to you Turbo. Other supps worth consideration would be kyolic garlic, hawthorn and cayenne. Lecithin granules are also something worth adding into your salads, shakes, oats etc as it can help to emulsify cholesterol
8) Keep your water intake high
9) Limit coffee/caffeine intake
10) Positive mindset

Basic stuff really. I wouldn't get too hung up about your cholesterol reading, doing a few of the above should at least bring it down a little. I personally feel that the concern is more if you have plaque around your arteries and some of that plaque gets dislodged and subsequently stuck in the brain or the heart ~ that's your heart attack and stroke right there and then. All the best and I am sure you will be around for a few more years yet haha MF.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks Mini!

I've heard red yeast rice mentioned multi times here and I've seen it at the nutrition store so I think I'll get some.

I'll see what else I can do, but after researching about it I'm not as concerned now.

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
Did everything above and my numbers were still high for the bad Chol.

Then my sis tells me she dropped two dress sizes. And upped her good Chol while lowering her bad simply by taking up the Mediterranean diet. Google this diet and give it a try.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Did everything above and my numbers were still high for the bad Chol.

Then my sis tells me she dropped two dress sizes. And upped her good Chol while lowering her bad simply by taking up the Mediterranean diet. Google this diet and give it a try.
If you take the healthy, REAL version of the Mediterranean Diet these are probably then I agree that it can be a great one to stick to with the key points being:

DIET
*Low overall calorie intake
*Very low or zero alcohol (except in celebratory circumstances)
*Plenty of locally grown greens, herbs, veges & plants high in longevity protecting antioxidants that the majority of the rest of the world do not consume ~ plants like horta, kritamo, andrakla etc.
*Home grown vegetables grown in mineral rich soil
*Lots of beans, nuts & legumes = high fibre
*Extra-virgin olive oil is prevalent in their diets
*Fresh fish 2-3 times a week
*Meat only comprises 5% of their total calories
*Raw goats milk that they milk by hand

RESPONSE TO DIET
*Reduced cancer, alzheimer's & Parkinson's disease rates
*Lower cases of CV disease (heart attack, stroke etc)
*Improved liver health
*Lower BMI, which links in to diabetes being much less common in studied countries that consume this diet such as Greece. If you have some spare time and you're interested in this kind of stuff you should also Google 'The Ikaria Study'

M

Mikeg68

Jul 21, 2013
I lowered my cholesterol from 5.9 to 4.1 over 3 months purely by eating clean, no alcohol or coffee. 1 benecol yogurt every morning. P90x and just not eating all the crap I was used to eating. Nothing processed at all.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic