Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Supplements For Lowering Bad Cholesterol

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I lowered my cholesterol from 5.9 to 4.1 over 3 months purely by eating clean, no alcohol or coffee. 1 benecol yogurt every morning. P90x and just not eating all the crap I was used to eating. Nothing processed at all.
That's the key right there.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
KP
CN you post the lab values including; T-Chol, HDL, LDL, and Triglycerides.
Please also include the UNITS and lab reference ranges.

Lastly does your immediate family have "familial hyperlipidemia"?
Best
Jim

Last edited:
F

fasttimes

Apr 27, 2014
This is a little radical but if nothing is making a difference, you could research Gw501516 sarm.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
They out me on cholesterol meds and it killed me. Joints, muscle aches and just over all shit. I felt like I was gonna die. 4 meds later and I now take every other day. Increased cardio and hope it's under control. The last med is zieta.

RowdyBrad

RowdyBrad

Jul 6, 2012
Guy in my old trt forum used a carb cycling diet with high fat (avacado, oils) days and dropped his ratio from 5.9 to 2.2. Just with diet while on 200mg weekly test.

C

CBS

Jan 7, 2014

I didn't read the article but if the author is suggesting high cholesterol is not a cause of ASCVD, he's out of his mind.

The relationship between serum cholesterol and heart disease is perfectly log-linear (at least down to cholesterols of 150 or so), with correlation coefficients exceeding 0.95 in multiple studies (r2 around 0.9). Epidemiologically, heart disease mortality rises starting at about cholesterol 160 (total) or LDL about 100 in men.

Same thing with diet. You don't have to go back to the paleolithic age for proof - one simply has to look at the deleterious effects the modern diet has had in North American Indians.

There are three historical periods here, and the Inuit experience one neatly parallels the experience of the Pima indians of Arizona. The periods are:

1) Natives on Native hunter gatherer diet = health. Few saturated fats and no alcohol. Calories are hard to come by.

2) Natives lose local hunter gather diet, get put on reservations, buy Crisco and potato chips and alcohol, and start getting obese, getting diabetes, and dying like flies.

3) Government is horrified, tries to convert natives to pasta food pyramid and Mediterranean diet with tropical fruit and light salads. LOL.

4) Period 4 is failure. But I'm not sure this is the government's fault in either Canada or the US. Afterall, it hasn't worked on the non-aboriginal populations, either. European transplants to N. America are simply *slightly* more reistant to the bad effects of lots of calories, saturated fats and alcohol than the Indians, having been out of the neolithic age for a little longer. But we're dying like flies of obesity/diabetes and heart disease also. Just not *quite* so dramatically in contrast to our recent past.

The Inuit diet didn't protect from all disease, though. Eskimos eating the traditional diet famously had hemorrhagic stoke, many infection problems, some arthritis, and even some coronary disease (though not as much as these days). But obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and the general metabolic syndrome and the complications of same, no. That's from Western junk diet.

Regardless, if you can't tolerate Crestor, try to find a statin you can tolerate because the chances of lowering cholesterol and LDL with supplements or diet alone are slim. The diet needed to get LDL below *safe* levels is too strict for MOST people to adhere to. We're genetically programmed to like calories - lots of calories. Nature places more importance on the avoidance of starvation than dying of an MI at 60.

The evidence is clear: lowering cholesterol with drug therapy reduces mortality. There are more recent examples but the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study is a good one (Lancet 345:1274-1275, 1995). 4444 people with coronary disease and with cholesterols between 220 and 300, were all given dietary treatment, and then further divided more or less equally into drug treatment vs non drug treatment groups. Addition of Simvastatin to diet lowered cholesterols by 25%, MI mortality by 42%, total cardiac mortality by 35%, and total mortality by 30%. NOTHING like this has ever been done with dietary therapy.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
That's the key right there.

-----------------------______________
Knowing what your eating is the key whether it's "processed" or not.

To say we should no longer eat processed food because it's "bad for us" is a gross oversimplification of the problem!
I mean crap on a comparative basis "processed food" was not available 50 years ago but we still DIED, at a much faster pace than contemporary times!

The fact is manufactured food is not the problem, but the lack of common sense and moderation most certainly are!

Last edited:
any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
Total Cholesterol isn't a factor...it's the proportion of HDL to LDL to Triglycerides that you need to keep an eye on. Add in any issues with BP, genetics and poor physical health makes for a bad mix. (Ideally..keeping your HDL and LDL's close to the same number is ideal...keeping your triglycerides down even better.)

You can try several supps...Liv52 or Tyler's Detox...Niacin...RyR...Celery Seed...Omega 3s (numerous sources)..etc...a good healthy diet is key. Increase your fiber intake will help too.

Of course..I'm no Doctor..nor a nutritionist but...have learned a few things along the way. And my two cents for what it's worth.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I'm just speaking from personal experience, that it's possible to completely reverse high cholesterol levels through diet alone; I'm of the belief that many prescription meds have their place but statin usage could be largely reduced if people would just take the time and effort to overhaul what they're eating as a starting point.

10455307_647339038676838_2801351016731797534_n.jpg

I learnt the hard way ~ I had a heart attack and found my BP and cholesterol were both through the roof and I am only in my 30's. Since then I have implemented these nutritional ideals into the lives of over 100 people and all of them have brought their total cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides back to where it needs to be. None of them have needed to go onto statin medication and all of them feel better than they did before they changed their diet.

Simple stuff really.

Reactions: CBS
D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
In the past year I went from cholesterol working its way up and my ratios not being as good as they were t awesome number the other week. I started taking the fish oil supplement, but I also dropped grains, mainly wheat. Cholesterol being high is an indication your body is not happy with something. The cholesterol acts like a band aid in your veins and arteries and if you continue to stress the areas where there is cholesterol then you will continue to get more "band aids" stuck on those areas which will then lead to your clogged pipes. Lots of high GI sugars, grains and stress can contribute to high cholesterol issues. I mostly went paleo with my diagnosis and since my numbers are really good again, I am now reincorporating oats, but mostly staying away from gluten except once a week. My suggestion would be to consider your diet and treating what might be causing the high cholesterol. Treating the symptom (high cholesterol) won't do much for you in the long run. Just my two cents.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Nice post there Dan.

Turbo, do you know if your doctor had your CRP values checked? IMHO this is probably a more useful indicator to go on than your cholesterol panel.

C

CBS

Jan 7, 2014
I'm just speaking from personal experience, that it's possible to completely reverse high cholesterol levels through diet alone; I'm of the belief that many prescription meds have their place but statin usage could be largely reduced if people would just take the time and effort to overhaul what they're eating as a starting point.

I learnt the hard way ~ I had a heart attack and found my BP and cholesterol were both through the roof and I am only in my 30's. Since then I have implemented these nutritional ideals into the lives of over 100 people and all of them have brought their total cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides back to where it needs to be. None of them have needed to go onto statin medication and all of them feel better than they did before they changed their diet.

Simple stuff really.

Good for you for making the dietary changes necessary to improve your health. I love hearing success stories like this.

And you're right that a vegetarian diet is a good way to avoid statins and possibly reverse heart disease. It's rare to find people that have the discipline to do it. Most doctors will tell you about the difficulties their patients have with trying to follow the dietary advice needed to improve hypercholesterolemia. Props to you for doing it, MF.

Regards

CBS

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic