jacobss
What's New?

Stretching enhances recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
Stretching should be done in a separate session. Stretch only those muscles that are tight. If its not tight why stretch it? As for pre-workout, stretching dynamically is better particularly if your session is a dynamic one such as Olympic lifting. However if you lack adequate range of motion to perform your planned exercises then some static or PNF stretching will help. As for post workout stretching, I will argue against it. I am not suggesting its evil. The reason its not optimal is simple. Whilst a muscle is being stretched its being 'worked' and so there is a reduced blood and oxygen flow to the area. This is happening at a time when the muscle is needing rest in order to recover properly.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Stretching should only be done post workout as warm muscles are pliable . Doing them cold is top cause of ligament and tendon injuries. Stretching is most misunderstood and over rated fitness topic.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
In my 40 years of martial arts, 30 years bodybuilding on top of my spine rehab for both surgery and pt lumbar and cervical along with formal credentials - more people are injured from stretching improperly than any other way. Top cause if all injuries . In fact I've injured pulled every solitary muscle in my arms, legs shoulders over past usually from stretching . To gain flexibility promotes pliable muscle therefore post workout for static you can go easy dynamic preworkout until warm. Flexibility only developed post. That's how it works , if you talk if this oxygen bulkshit then muscle growth in the moment may hinder, but the big picture is the body works as a whole - to concentrate on only one aspect is to ignore the weak link and blind yourself . Flexible muscles can be driven harder , stronger muscles can also be injured harder. Balance is the key .stretching plays role but very small. No need to over think everything

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
Thats interesting. Yoga is thousands of years old. They don't warm up to stretch. A friend of mine is a teacher. In all the years of her teaching she can only recall one injury. Stretching and injuries hmmm. I think that kind of statement needs some back up from actual literature. Actually how about this. Try to injure yourself stretching. If you move slowly it is essentially impossible. I am afraid I dont talk bullshit. My point was a minor one. So many people jist sit back and accept the prevailing view. Things like the 5 min cardio warm up. Stretch at the end of a workout etc etc have been the accepted way. Challenge that and people come out all indignant.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Most people stretch improperly and yes it is one if the leading causes of injury . I don't say things that I haven't learned in my 40 years of life and study but if you want foot notes then that's your issue not mine . I should also point out that research and the media isn't always correct as studies are flawed and media is hyped. Most of us that live this life and have been on this earth - know that in bodybuilding as in martial arts etc. mainstream publics idea is far behind even with research and yes covsidering yoga has been around for 1000 s but again you know nothing about it so it sounds foolish of you to offer it. The Chinese do their versin called chi gong , tai chi - moving chi gong all the energy meridians that western science can barely measure never mind explain . Which makes your point look even more off. Now I on the other hand have trained all over the world - yoga, chi gong , judo jujutsu Kung fu, Kali , Silat I could bore you even more with the 18 schools I teach and have learned , but that is my life and passion bodybuilding is part of survival part of health keeping me strong and healthy to train. During my several surgery rehabs particularly my spine reconstruction 1995 stretching was barely part of my rehab. Nor was doing ab work like most outdated places use for old hags. Weights building muscles of my spine - New England baptist hospital at the time was pioneer and top of spine procedure on planet earth. Go google that mimsy ! In fact I had gone to 8 places that did nothing for me so upon a rerun visit to my orthopedic surgeon he insisted I go to his place for rehab because all the other PT places had no idea if current research . You obviously read the sane nonsense the other places do . Next time use your own experience and if you have none then have some class and ask politely ill share, I'm not greedy

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Lmao. Get a grip. Top cause of all injuries is stretching???!!!! You pulled muscles stretching man that makes you the dumbest cunt on the forum

I can see you aren't the most intelligent one , is that the best you have? Bah ha ha. Takes one to know it

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
I will reply to this when I have more time. I suggest you start acting like an adult.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I will reply to this when I have more time. I suggest you start acting like an adult.

Good one you resort to verbal attack but I'm the child yeah ok, I quoted elsewhere looks like you have been having issue with temper - to quote you you are under stress. Bro I'm sorry if you feel that way, but sincerely and respectfully you are the one out of line . I did not resort to attacking you go read back and any sarcasm was result of your temper - you need to step back please do and try to relax. I offer my expertise , I don't claim to be a champion or world renowned anything but I have done it all . I don't single out and attack people because I don't agree like yourself - that is actually what a child does . Additionally to lose your cool more than once over debate is sort of what a cunt does which you seem to project your own issues on to me. Hey I come in peace , no attack to you , I'm actually amazed at how upset you get from comments that have nothing to do with you . However like iron said I'm truly sorry if I have offended you. But you are starting to deserve it if you keep overreacting ( quote un quote)

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
Bro go back and read your post calling me a dumb ass and the general tone of your post to me was not peaceful. Now your going around quoting me everywhere. What am I to do? Not defend myself? Really I have nothing against you. I dont know you. But I will stand up for myself.

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
Look I wish you the best. Thats not sarcastic. I support every bro. Post whatever you want I am done with this.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic

Status
Not open for further replies.