jacobss
What's New?

Stretching enhances recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Solent-therapist

Dec 28, 2013
So...as a therapist dealing with sports injuries...and a lifter into my 40's...I have came to the conclusion that stretching not only prevents injury it also helps in the recovery process.

Do you guys have a stretching program as part of your daily workout routines?

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Not enough, to be honest. I know better, too. Used to stretch post training...

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
We stretch at karate for 5 minutes, after we warm up. I don't stretch with my weight training, though I should.

What stretches do you recommend?

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
We stretch at karate for 5 minutes, after we warm up. I don't stretch with my weight training, though I should.

What stretches do you recommend?
My good friend runs an mma club here in sydney and he puts them through a good 15min of warm up.even when I'm at the gym I hit the speed ball stretch and ride the spin bike before I lift.

S

Solent-therapist

Dec 28, 2013
I hope this link isn't seen as a cheap way to drum up business...I know most of you guys are in the US but this page has a few stretching charts and a 54 page download of stretches to cover the whole body. Stretching is so important post workout...and every chance you get in between...and warming up pre workouts is important too..

Oops...I will post the links once my count gets to above 20 :)

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
I cant get through the day without a good stretch. I have a basic quick stretch routine and then I have a long version as well, just depends on what im doing. Would you believe I have been told on a forum that stretching before lifting diminishes your gains and lowers your strength. "I thought that was the stupidest thing I had ever heard". lol......... It dont even make sense.

Last edited:
S

Solent-therapist

Dec 28, 2013
I have read the same rubbish...but surely if your muscles are at the correct length...more fibres will be recruited to do the job in hand...stretching helps remove scar tissue and allows more blood into the muscle too...proper functioning tissue performs better!!

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I heard stretching before main lifts can cause you to lift less weight. But instead to stretch after your workout. Is this true?

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Wiggly if your stretches are done in a dynamic fashion they allegedly won't cause the micro tears that you have been told about.

Stretching has become essential for me to just maintain quality of life. My hips can get so tight that I can't hit parallel on squats and have very bad low back pain. I have a kick ass physical therapist that keeps me moving though. Worth the small Co pay to see him monthly.

And active release. Man I love it!

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I heard stretching before main lifts can cause you to lift less weight. But instead to stretch after your workout. Is this true?

I little light stretching before your lifts is fine. Your not going maximal lift on your first attempt anyway, your gonna warm up. It's true that you will lose a bit of strength but the window is very short inside 5-10 minutes. I have a study somewhere and will and it here when I find it. Overall it's best to warm up the body first then stretch after your workouts.

S

Solent-therapist

Dec 28, 2013
If I treat a muscle for pain, it's very rarely the full muscle that is short and tight but it's individual fibres within that muscle that are affected. Trigger point therapy releases that but stretching can do the same job. That tightness in fibres can alter the functioning of the body. For example: a tight rectus femoris can knock the knee offline, causing grinding and knee pain. Stretching that muscle before, during and after keeps the knee where it belongs. So even If it was to affect strength (in my opinion...it does not) it's worth it to keep the muscle functioning correctly and prevents injury.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Static stretching is not a good way to break up scar tissue or release trigger points. Manual release (think deep tissue for those not familiar with PT), A.R.T., Graston, etc, are all good methods.

But I thought we were talking generally, not about injured or badly-restricted folks. My opinion on preworkout static stretching doesn't change, but it's a whole 'nother can o worms.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic

Status
Not open for further replies.