Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK

Soooo..... How Much Do Ya Dead Lift?

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Around 2500 in gear in a meet. I won't count gym PRs.

Raw I've squatted 720, pulled 705 and benched in the low 500s a few times.... Not really sure what I'm capable of since I don't train heavy raw.

Holy crap! Are you even human? You must be an alien or gorilla spawn . . .

After seeing those numbers, I am embarassed at my recent PR of 505# raw :(

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011

Laughed out loud in a testing center reading "gorilla spawn"!

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012

WW, 505 is a huge number to hit on dl no matter age, weight, height or favorite candy bar.

M

MeatheadSnowman

Apr 5, 2012
I'm at 240kg opening lift 2 weeks out from my first comp!!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Turbo makes a very good point... most of us feel a 500+ deadlift is only ok when in fact it's better than 90% of the population out there. We just hold ourselves to such a high level of expectation.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
OK, seems you forgot something then. LOL.

As for me I have pulled 600 exactly once back in April and I wish I could remember what I had for dinner the night before because I have not been able to pull more than 550 since then.

Raw (Belt & Chalk only), Conventional stance.

Vid:

Damn ! That is awesome ! I tip my hat to you

I've never done a max anything in my 32 years of weights but I can honestly say that's damn impressive. Would you guys that are this strong mind posting your actual deadlift workout ? Like days per week and sets?

I dead 1-2 times week to begin my back I warm up and do only 4 work sets. Ususlly 3 plates for 15-20. I'm wondering what it takes to really get it strong .

Last edited by a moderator:
F

flpl88

May 31, 2013
Doing a meet in 2 weeks. Third attempt will be 573 578 or 584 @ 181lbs raw. I'll see how I feel then

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

I've never done a max anything in my 32 years of weights but I can honestly say that's damn impressive. Would you guys that are this strong mind posting your actual deadlift workout ? Like days per week and sets?

I dead 1-2 times week to begin my back I warm up and do only 4 work sets. Ususlly 3 plates for 15-20. I'm wondering what it takes to really get it strong .

You don't build strength with high reps sets. You need to start incorporating singles, doubles, triples.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012

Hey Kets.

I think you would need to get on a regimented program to get your pulls up.

If you are doing 315 for sets of 20 then your dead lift is probably in the 500 area.

You could try 5/3/1. I love this program because it lets you go for rep PRs almost every week.

The Conjugate system is another, the Lilliebridge program. Those are just a couple of the ones available.

There are tons of programs. You could also try POB's setup. Its super easy to follow, and is very easy on your joints and body.

From what I've learned about trying to get stronger is that you don't wanna go heavy week after week, some weeks its better to leave reps in the gym and keep them for next time.

And don't max out too often. I made this mistake when I first got into powerlifting and its how I hurt my back. I thought that if I did this amount this week, then next week I need to do that amount plus 10 more pounds, and it doesn't work. I just went backwards and was frustrated and thought I needed to try harder.

Basic setup for you is to find your estimated 1 rep max. Then base your percentages off of that number.

Week 1: 60% for speed work. 5-8 sets of 2-3 reps

Week 2: 70% work with sets of 5 reps.

Week 3: 80% you can drop the reps to probably 3-4

Week 4: 90% Do a single

Week 5: Go for a 1 rep PR

That's just an example for you.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011

Well Kets, first off we both have major back issues so keep in mind that I'm aware of your back from our chats and posts.

YOu won't ever get stronger with your deadlift doing those types of rep schemes. Doing doubles, triples and the occasional 1 rep maxes will get you stronger along with the proper accessory training.

But 15-20 rep sets will keep you tight and your muscles engaged around your spine....but won't make you stronger.

And if you deadlifted the way we do; you would most likely only DL once/week.

See most people (the common gym go-er) view the DL as a lower back accessory exercise with pull downs or rows as their "main" back movement for that day in the gym. For a powerlifter, everything is built AROUND the dead lift of the squat as those are the most important lifts to overall strength.

I would check out the member online journals here to see what some of us do to grab a better perspective because we all train differently with rep schemes and percentages however there is a common baseline of how we warm up and save our energy for the "working sets".

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic