Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Shoulder Presses

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I agree, the upright position is uncomfortable for me, unless I do dumbells, and I can say that dumbell presses from a vertical position are much harder, and a nice variation from time to time; that being said I dont believe a lift should be so uncomfortable that I cannot concentrate on the target muscle, the straight up position can put a good bit of torque on your low back when seated.

Alright, today was back day but when I got to the gym I played around with the ROM on shoulder presses. Kept them light since I've already worked shoulders this week. I put a couple plates on each side and did a couple of 10-12 rep sets, taking the bar below my chin to see how they felt. I could definitely feel the transfer to the pecs on the bottom. I think that right to the chin is where the sweet spot is. Although, I will probably throw in some of these lower ones for variety.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Alright, today was back day but when I got to the gym I played around with the ROM on shoulder presses. Kept them light since I've already worked shoulders this week. I put a couple plates on each side and did a couple of 10-12 rep sets, taking the bar below my chin to see how they felt. I could definitely feel the transfer to the pecs on the bottom. I think that right to the chin is where the sweet spot is. Although, I will probably throw in some of these lower ones for variety.

Nice you got to actually get to play around with positioning and getting the form right...have you checked out some vids that demonstrate the machine shoulder press? Next time you do shoulders try doing it the "new" way and I'm sure you'll really feel the difference. Putting the seat back a click from straight up can also help too, particularly if you are tall

Keep working at it you'll feel a world of difference very soon!

Last edited:
M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
Poundstone showing killer technique with FreeWeight. AND I bring the bar down to chin level, but if you have shoulder issues better off lowering the bar at the level it doesn't hurt to avoid injury.
IF your not training that exercise for competitive lift why worry to much.

Ha, the guy in the camera is squatting as much as Johnstone press.

Last edited by a moderator:
IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Nice you got to actually get to play around with positioning and getting the form right...have you checked out some vids that demonstrate the machine shoulder press? Next time you do shoulders try doing it the "new" way and I'm sure you'll really feel the difference. Putting the seat back a click from straight up can also help too, particularly if you are tall

Really?????

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010

Works lmao realy!!!! why don't you take ur shirt off and make a vid and demonstrate for us all how it's done!

I think AJ, II and the rest have it figured out.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Works lmao realy!!!! why don't you take ur shirt off and make a vid and demonstrate for us all how it's done!

I think AJ, II and the rest have it figured out.

second thought leave your shirt on, I forgot about ur sexuality.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Poundstone showing killer technique with FreeWeight. AND I bring the bar down to chin level, but if you have shoulder issues better off lowering the bar at the level it doesn't hurt to avoid injury.
IF your not training that exercise for competitive lift why worry to much.

I do them similar to Poundstone, but I do mine standing. For some reason, I think they are more difficult standing in comparison to seated. I also like to throw on the ol' fat gripz to add a bit of difficulty. I think with any type of over the head pressing movement, you must be congnizent of your ROM and your ability. Your rotator cuff plays a huge role in how you can perform any of these movements. I like barbell mainly because I throw it on the rack and get under it and press. DB's are a little more of a challenge to swing up and what not. I do think they are good to throw in here and there for a change. Smith, I just don't like the Smith because it is a fixed groove. I think the Smith is good for someone with a pre-existing injury or an issue. But to each their own. I also tend to back off on the OHP's as my training peaks for a meet. They can be hard on the shoulders and elbows and obviously bench, dead and squat are my main focus.

Last edited by a moderator:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I perform OHP standing as a staple lift in my regimen. I bring the bar all the way down to my clavicles though which is probably not helping my shoulder but old habits die hard. I'll also throw in other seated presses like Z - Presses, 1 - Arm Seated DB Press, Military's, etc.

You work more than just your shoulders and triceps when you're standing and that translates to more weight in other lifts. In the end I care about how it carries over into other lifts exp the Big 3.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
I agree, the upright position is uncomfortable for me, unless I do dumbells, and I can say that dumbell presses from a vertical position are much harder, and a nice variation from time to time; that being said I dont believe a lift should be so uncomfortable that I cannot concentrate on the target muscle, the straight up position can put a good bit of torque on your low back when seated.

i'm with you and II on the "one notch back" position of the seat. i find it creates less stress on my lower back and (as you stated) makes it easier to concentrate on the target muscles and less on not hurting my back.
with dumbells i just use a chair and make sure to keep my back straight, but with the bar (and especially on the smith) i always tilt the seat back a notch for those reasons.
people will say thats using too much upper chest and less delt but those people have obviously never tried them at this position. an incline bench press is a lot closer to parallel with the floor than one notch back. if anything, your using more tricep than upper chest in this case but if one has good "mind/muscle connection" then one will KILL their front delts all the same while putting less stress on their lower back; which IMO is good enough reason to lean back the minor degree that one notch will give you.
dont even get me started on the behind the neck press. its just not for me...

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
I perform OHP standing as a staple lift in my regimen....

standing OH presses are definitely more straight up than when i do em seated and i do prefer to stand, but if you really think about it even when standing, you're not exactly pushing the bar up in a perfect vertical motion. i know for myself, just the act of balancing alone forces my upper body back a slight degree further than perfectly vertical.
as for the debate of how far to bring the bar down, i was always taught to bring it no lower than my chin in order to keep constant stress on the delt as opposed to bringing it all the way down which actually affords the opportunity to rest the muscle at the bottom of the motion. kinda like resting the bar on your chest at the bottom of your bench press...

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
dont even get me started on the behind the neck press. its just not for me...

Behind the neck presses are more trouble considering you have to unrack the bar from behind which can put undue stress on shoulders and delts. Doing that on a smith feels rather awkward so I generally don't do behind the neck presses with that machine.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic