Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Shoulder Presses

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
As for the bench, I keep it one click back... I don't care if its involving some pec... Its a compound movement. It should involve some pec!

Yeah that's what I've been doing as well. After experimenting with the bench straight upright today, I think I'll stick with the one click back. I realize that some experts disagree but we all have to do things how it suits us. As for ROM, I take DBs to the shoulder and usually do them standing. With smith I had been going to the nose on the heaviest sets but will likely start getting that extra couple of inches by going to the chin.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, dumb bells I hit the shoulders, no problem, its the BB or smith where my ROM sucks

I don't like smith presses either because the barbell doesn't go through a natural motion..it's a straight up and down...and the bar (if seated upright) wants to hit my face as I lift. Seated free weight bar is best and I loved them...damn miss them 2! much more natural feel but if you are injury prone they are dangerous. Now I use db's 90% of the time and hammer machine periodically. ROM on hammer is gtg as well.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Poundstone showing killer technique with FreeWeight. AND I bring the bar down to chin level, but if you have shoulder issues better off lowering the bar at the level it doesn't hurt to avoid injury.
IF your not training that exercise for competitive lift why worry to much.

This video with Poundstone is what I do as far as form, with less weight obviously.

Since Im your biggest critic let me interject a word or two as if I was speaking to someone I actually didnt know all ready ,and have an opinion about.

What the other vid of you shows is a partial, theres no arguing that-that being said there's nothing wrong with doing partials. I do partials all the time and follow them up with drop-sets of lighter weight with a full ROM.
Its my firm belief in doing partials if you want to break a plateau on a particular lift, starting out at 1/2 rep, then working your way to a 2/3's rep, and 3/4 and so on until you master a particular weight at full ROM, its a easy way to encourage the body to respond strength wise, since its nearly impossible to jump all over a new heavier weight with the best form.

As for the inclination of the bench I set the seat back 1 notch from vertical, at my size and with the bar on smith in particular having the seat at full upright would get me hit in the forehead or the face by machine since the bench can only go back so far within the confines of the smith at our gym.

However I honestly prefer dumbell presses, and set seat back 1 notch as well.

For me dumbell presses offer a better range of motion, but at the top range of motion you actually lose some tension from the delts and place more on the triceps, thats a worthwhile trade off, the synergy of dumbells cannot refuted as far as muscle fiber recruitment.
I prefer to follow up dumbells with straight bar seated presses, the range of motion is completely different and at the top range of motion the delts still recieve max stimulation and fiber recruitment, that seat is vertical and some lean is employed so far as body english.
Smith machine to use from time to time, and if I have an injury but dumbell or free bar presses cannot be touched as far as delt stimulation and overall shoulder complex mass.
I used to do partials on bench and then have a partner do static holds, which also work great on delts, static holds you put on 150% or so of 1rm and hold the bar at lock out and have someone spot you and then re-rack.

But even when I did these I followed up the set with an 8-10 rep with a lighter weight, higher intensity = more growth.

Thats about all I have say, take or leave I could give a shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
moocow0463

moocow0463

Jan 11, 2012
i do mine seated and upright, our 90 degree bench is actually a few degrees off of 90 so its slightly tilted back probly equivalent of half a notch or a little less. ive never seen anyone lean 3-5 degrees backward when doing a standing press...not to say one notch down is going to completely alter the lift but im doing a shoulder press for my shoulders so i keep it up right! every ones different if your getting good shoulder progress and your not hurting yourself your winning

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
This video with Poundstone is what I do as far as form, with less weight obviously.

Since Im your biggest critic let me interject a word or two as if I was speaking to someone I actually didnt know all ready ,and have an opinion about.

What the other vid of you shows is a partial, theres no arguing that-that being said there's nothing wrong with doing partials. I do partials all the time and follow them up with drop-sets of lighter weight with a full ROM.
Its my firm belief in doing partials if you want to break a plateau on a particular lift, starting out at 1/2 rep, then working your way to a 2/3's rep, and 3/4 and so on until you master a particular weight at full ROM, its a easy way to encourage the body to respond strength wise, since its nearly impossible to jump all over a new heavier weight with the best form.

As for the inclination of the bench I set the seat back 1 notch from vertical, at my size and with the bar on smith in particular having the seat at full upright would get me hit in the forehead or the face by machine since the bench can only go back so far within the confines of the smith at our gym.

However I honestly prefer dumbell presses, and set seat back 1 notch as well.

For me dumbell presses offer a better range of motion, but at the top range of motion you actually lose some tension from the delts and place more on the triceps, thats a worthwhile trade off, the synergy of dumbells cannot refuted as far as muscle fiber recruitment.
I prefer to follow up dumbells with straight bar seated presses, the range of motion is completely different and at the top range of motion the delts still recieve max stimulation and fiber recruitment, that seat is vertical and some lean is employed so far as body english.
Smith machine to use from time to time, and if I have an injury but dumbell or free bar presses cannot be touched as far as delt stimulation and overall shoulder complex mass.
I used to do partials on bench and then have a partner do static holds, which also work great on delts, static holds you put on 150% or so of 1rm and hold the bar at lock out and have someone spot you and then re-rack.

But even when I did these I followed up the set with an 8-10 rep with a lighter weight, higher intensity = more growth.

Thats about all I have say, take or leave I could give a shit.
I'm not sure why all of the histrionics are needed. But you make some good points. Seems almost everyone takes the seat back a notch, including you, but I get criticized for it. I agree that going to the nose is partial compared to going below the chin. I have stated repeatedly in my log that that's where I take the bar. Lighter sets I go to the chin but admittedly, with the top sets I only go to the nose. That's the one change I'll make. I won't sacrifice those 2" of ROM just to add more weight. As far as going below the chin. I don't really see the benefit from a shoulder movement in doing so. I'm here to learn so I don't care about the personal stuff. AJ, where do you take the bar when doing bb? And I agree with you on DB work. I usually do them standing and need to start them back into my rotation again. I take the DBs all the way to the shoulders.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
I'm not sure why all of the histrionics are needed. But you make some good points. Seems almost everyone takes the seat back a notch, including you, but I get criticized for it. I agree that going to the nose is partial compared to going below the chin. I have stated repeatedly in my log that that's where I take the bar. Lighter sets I go to the chin but admittedly, with the top sets I only go to the nose. That's the one change I'll make. I won't sacrifice those 2" of ROM just to add more weight. As far as going below the chin. I don't really see the benefit from a shoulder movement in doing so. I'm here to learn so I don't care about the personal stuff. AJ, where do you take the bar when doing bb? And I agree with you on DB work. I usually do them standing and need to start them back into my rotation again. I take the DBs all the way to the shoulders.

Only benefit below chin is if your in strong man like Poundstone and training for the Axle press i'd imagine, get older train for safety so you can continue to train imo.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010

First off dont compare anything I say to 'histrionics' histrionics implies the behavior of a woman, or some kind of bitch, which I am not. I am simply stating fact, that alltough Im being objective with this thread, I am not being objective with my judgement.

Now as far as where I take the bar the vid of poundstone is right where I take right below the chin my upper arms do go below parallel. With a heavier set where Im coming to 95% of my max then I might go more shallow and go right to the chin.
As I said earlier if I do some shallower range of motion I follow it up with a full range of motion set in the neighborhood of 10-12 reps immediately following.
For ex: If I was to use a smith machine (which I did when I had my forearm injury) I would start my first set at 3 plates, get usually close to 15 reps, add a 25 lb get around 8, and then go to 4 plates get 3...following the 4 plate set I would typically drop to 3 plates again do 8 more, drop to 2 plates and do 12 more, technique called double dropping, nothing Im sure you havent heard before.
Not only insuring that you worked partial, and full range but also rep ranges from 3 all the way through 8 and to 12 giving some multi fiber stimulation..so to speak.

SHINE mentioned he does that for strongman reasons, I can see that on the 'log press' event. Where qualification of each rep requires the log to come to that position.
In bodybuilding there is no set of rules but there are some guidelines, I use a deeper range of motion with a bar to strengthen the weakest range of motion. However others do not.
But look at the people with the best delt development in bbing history and you will see people like Kevin Levrone who did behind the neck presses in the neighborhood of 400 lbs and with a full range of motion.
You are a big fan of Arnold, yes? Arnold had a saying "half reps equal half muscles".

As I mentioned partials have there place but should not be the mainstay of your form, partials are a tool, but not the bread and butter.

As you demonstrated in your video the top range is also the strongest, so the weakest conversely is at the bottom.
This exaggerated range of motion that people are so quick to say is unnecessary, is actually quite beneficial.
For strengthening the weakest range of motion an old powerlifter showed me a nice trick.
Take a weight thats 30-40% of your 1 rm, take it down to the 'hole' and count 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand, and explode out, hold the contracted position and slowly lower the bar again.
If you can get to 10 easily your going to light, the 10th rep should be close to impossible.
This strengthens the weakest range of motion.
Another method is to also strengthen the strongest range of motion where you see bands and chains employed on a bar, as the weight ascends the bar gets heavier, elementary.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Thanks. Like I said, I'm gonna take about 10% off the bar and get another 2-3" on the ROM with my top sets. But having tried the full upright position today, I plan on sticking with the one notch back on the seat.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Thanks. Like I said, I'm gonna take about 10% off the bar and get another 2-3" on the ROM with my top sets. But having tried the full upright position today, I plan on sticking with the one notch back on the seat.

I agree, the upright position is uncomfortable for me, unless I do dumbells, and I can say that dumbell presses from a vertical position are much harder, and a nice variation from time to time; that being said I dont believe a lift should be so uncomfortable that I cannot concentrate on the target muscle, the straight up position can put a good bit of torque on your low back when seated.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic