Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Shoulder Presses

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Behind the neck presses are more trouble considering you have to unrack the bar from behind which can put undue stress on shoulders and delts. Doing that on a smith feels rather awkward so I generally don't do behind the neck presses with that machine.

Why do you have to unrack the bar from behind?!?! :confused:

Nice avi btw

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Why do you have to unrack the bar from behind?!?! :confused:

Nice avi btw

It can feel a bit awkward swinging it back If I put the bar on the front pins..but at least less so that trying to reach for the bar on the pins behind me

For doing behind the neck presses on a smith its a little awkward to me though...probably that's just me

Last edited:
IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
It can feel a bit awkward swinging it back If I put the bar on the front pins..but at least less so that trying to reach for the bar on the pins behind me

For doing behind the neck presses on a smith its a little awkward to me though...probably that's just me

Well I wouldn't do BNPs on a smith and I can't see what is awkward about racking/re-racking in the front. Have you ever done them? I do french presses more frequently than BNPs (almost every week); These are done behind my head and I don't rack it from behind.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Well I wouldn't do BNPs on a smith and I can't see what is awkward about racking/re-racking in the front. Have you ever done them? I do french presses more frequently than BNPs (almost every week); These are done behind my head and I don't rack it from behind.

Naturally wouldn't do BNP's on a smith..but have tried it. BNP's on a regular straight bar I generally do but its hard pushing up on the bar behind my head to unrack (due to my shoulder impingement issues most likely), so I get someone to help me lift it off. French Presses I never done..will look for a video that demonstrates it

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
its hard pushing up on the bar behind my head to unrack (due to my shoulder impingement issues most likely), so I get someone to help me lift it off. French Presses I never done..will look for a video that demonstrates it
Why wouldn't you start from the top ROM?

FPs are a tricep exercise

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Naturally wouldn't do BNP's on a smith..but have tried it. BNP's on a regular straight bar I generally do but its hard pushing up on the bar behind my head to unrack (due to my shoulder impingement issues most likely), so I get someone to help me lift it off. French Presses I never done..will look for a video that demonstrates it

I know exactly what you're talking about, MW. This is what your rack looks like, right?

Olympic Seated Bench 507 | Benches and Racks | Icarian Strength | Strength | Commercial | Precor

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
standing OH presses are definitely more straight up than when i do em seated and i do prefer to stand, but if you really think about it even when standing, you're not exactly pushing the bar up in a perfect vertical motion. i know for myself, just the act of balancing alone forces my upper body back a slight degree further than perfectly vertical.
as for the debate of how far to bring the bar down, i was always taught to bring it no lower than my chin in order to keep constant stress on the delt as opposed to bringing it all the way down which actually affords the opportunity to rest the muscle at the bottom of the motion. kinda like resting the bar on your chest at the bottom of your bench press...

You're correct standing OHP is a not straight up. You have to get your head through at the top so it's a reverse "J" motion If it went straight up it'd hit you in the face.

It does let the shoulders rest if you bring the bar below your chin but what it also does is change the primary mover to the triceps when it's brought down to the clavicles. When the bar leaves the clavicles it's all triceps in the beginning and than once it hits the chin area it's more shoulders and less triceps. It all depends on what you want to focus on and what that movement is supposed to carry over to for the lifter.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Bradford Presses are a good shoulder pressing movement. Just be sure to have good shoulder flexibility.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Some people get too obsessive, it's no so complicated . There are many right ways and it all depends on the person doing them, injuries, structural issues mean you need to find another way. To worry about lowering too far including other muscles, Is just too far thinking, we use compound moves because we recruit other muscles and fibers , of course if you want to isolate then go for it, it's not a matter of right or wrong , it's a matter of specifying to tailor trainng to your own goals - like POB posted just lift !!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic