Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Recovery for the advcanced and older athlete

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Well the one thing I have surely noticed as I have trained over the years is the bodies ever seemingly diminished capacity for recovery.
I started out as a natty bodybuilder with great recovery ability. I would work construction, I had no car, so I walked or road a bicycle everywhere...and I managed to train 6 days a week with no problem.
Youth, it was such a nice thing.
Eventually, I became bigger, and the bigger I seemed to get with more muscle and more strenth, the longer it started to take to recover in between workouts.
Now after 21 years, and having used AAS at points, I am clearly not the recovering machine I was back then.
Recently I hit another wall, I was really struggling and the pain I was feeling all over my body was horrible.
I had been dieting, and I thought it had alot to do with the diet and just being sluggish and lethargic, but as time went on I noticed I was gradually getting worse.
I took one week off to let my body heal. Within two days of being back in the gym I felt like ass again.
My training was a two on one off schedule, so I was getting a rest day every third day. But what I kept noticing were symptoms that werent going away, I just wasnt healing. It depressed me a little, I kept thinking 'fuck Im just getting old!'. Things like my forearms hurt all the time, it was too the point I didnt want to grab anything very suddenly or use my fingers for certain tasks...my left hand felt like it was bruised, but had no bruise.
My knees, feet and shins hurt, and leg day was absolutely a nightmare, everything hurt, my hams, knees, IT bands, EVERYTHING!
I couldnt figure out wtf it was!
So, as my diet progressed and I moved into taking 3-4 days of no training and crap loading I was noticing that each successive day of rest I was in MORE pain!
So, I ended up having some other issues to deal with and took 6 days off after one of the crap loads, by day 6 I actually began to feel a little better.
Then I remembered an old post I wrote years ago-about overtraining and needing more rest as we get older and larger.
So I decided to hit legs, and just see what happened....well it wasnt AS bad, but still creeky.
I took 2 more days off, then I hit another bodypart, chest.
Felt a little better, so then one day off, hit back, still a little better.
As the weeks progressed I was taking either one or 2 days off after EVERY lift.
Most weeks the last month I have been training maybe 3 times per week!
At first I didnt notice anyting except that I was feeling better, and my backslide of pain and loss of strength seemed to have at least leveled off.
Then other people started saying things, everyone was asking me what the hell I was doing I LOOKED HYUGE!
In reality I was still dieting and losing weight...but even I started to notice the muscles werent flat and depleted, they were thick and full and I was actually leaning out a bit more.
I dont think I have heard so many people tell me I was looking bigger than ever when I was this dieted, I have lost 20 lbs or so.
The overtraining bug is easy to fall into, this is the least I have ever trained a week, feels almost like Im cheating but I feel better, and my workouts are progressing again like never before.
I actually started to look big to me even.
It really occurs to me when I hear people struggling on the boards that overtraining is really a bigger problem then most think.
Dorian Yates popularized the HIT training, very intense, very low volume training. I never could embrace it because I really like to do more sets and reps with a volume approach to lifting.
Well, flip side of HIT, I think is high volume, High intensity, low frequency.
At the end of the day its all about recovery and how well you do it before hammering your body over again, if it has not completed the cycle of recovery and you train again, it blunts the bodies ability to grow and supercompensate with larger muscles.
There was an article I read recently that was saying theres evidence it can take up to 72 hours for complete recovery, now Im sure thats dependent on the individual...but think about it, if you hammer yourself before your body can grow, you will never grow.
As we age our bodies become less efficient at it but ALSO they get more developed with larger muscle fibers that are stronger and can exert more physical force.
With all that added strength and ability to damage even more larger fibers, you can imagine a system with diminishing recover ability, even one aided by pharmaceuticals, is fighting a losing battle to recover in the same amount of time as the years go by and the muscles grow larger.
So-the older and more advanced athlete HAS to take more time to recover, it is paramount, I would bet you alot of the pros and high up athletes are overtrained and could be even bigger!
Apply this to your own training, really assess how tired you feel from it on a daily and weekly basis, training less could be something you really need to consider, so long as when you do go to the gym you attack the weights with balls the size of dumpsters.
I think alot of us get an ironman mentality, were pussies if we dont push through, its one thing to be slacking because your a bit tired, its another when your system is exhausted and you are just drowning yourself further into the abyss of overtraining.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Aj this was a hard lesson for me to learn. The older we get the less we have to do.Physically easier but mentally destroying if you dont get a grip on it and realize how much better you are now than you were 5 ,10 years ago.
Great article!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
great thoughts! i think in general most people overtrain. not that i know anything but i dont push myself that hard because everything hurts but i still manage to make gains. i train 2 days on, one off, 2 on and then 2 off. my workouts are generally only about 30-40 mins. but it works for me and i have continued to make progress where i want it.

it does suck to get old. the joints in my hands and arms are constantly painful. the unfortunate thing about that is more time off doesnt make them better. arthritic pain is actually better when they are used more. the more one rests the worse the pain of arthritis is.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
Good post, I do notice that I feel tons better since I went to the HST protocol, it still is a struggle for me to accept the 5rep days as good enough, but I am progressing and don't have the pain or exhaustion like when I was doing splits. Im on my week of strategic deconditioning (a week early due to a kid with chicken pox) and was considering going back to splits-but frankly, am doing so well on HST I think I will run it again :)

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Damn straight AJ- as an older trainee I pay attention to how my body feels and what my log book indicates, trying to leave ego out of it. Recovery is slower- FACT, got to work around that reality. As always water, diet and rest facets of the program need to be dialed in too. And, yup, supps...

Spectrum

Spectrum

Dec 16, 2010
Another excellent post Ajdos.
It's a constant struggle for me trying to walk that fine line between effectively stimulating growth and overtraining.....Always been that way and now that I'm older it certainly hasn't changed. What has changed is that I'm a little wiser, quicker to notice symptoms, and more willing to make adjustments. Notice I say "willing" - cause I'm not happy about it - I just finally understand that just cause I want to be able to work out more intensely, more frequently, etc. so that I can move closer to my goals faster doesn't change the reality that if I do cross the line where my muscles and (especially) my CNS are being sapped faster than they're able to recuperate and compensate then I quickly begin to feel like shit and and any progress I was making slows or stops..... If I keep pushing too long after that I burn completely the fuck out and don't even want to work out anymore. Been there more than once.

milleniumgirl

milleniumgirl

Sep 12, 2010
I'm older than most of you. I've never been a competitor but I'm a former anorexic and I push myself hard each day not to hate that body. I should listen to my body more, I have aches and pains but I feel terribly guilty when I don't do anything ... or when I do less ...

luckysaint

luckysaint

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2011
I’m 47 now and have been lifting most of my entire life. I'm on the principle routine; 2days on 1 day off because that's what works well for me! What works well for you??!!! I'm able to maintain the way I want and get the results I’m looking for this way. I still feel very healthy, the only time I don’t is when I have those cheat meals & drink that extra beer at night with family or friends (you all know what I’m talking about). As you get older you just have to find a way around it all (does matter how old you’re getting), you have to make it work! You will find a way if you really want to and that’s when the pain will all go away! Trust me on this guys & gals, allot of pain, sore joints, tendons etc. etc is what’s in your mind allot of the time, not to get out there on you guys, but if you only knew what I've been through with a snapped leg, torn shoulder just to name a few and I’m fricken pain free. The key ingredient here is to work around it, train around it, and circumvent the system so to speak!! Didn’t mean to get all philosophical on anyone, just sayin……..

Lucky

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
lol! The "listen to your body" couldnt hold to be more true.Young or old. I will be 38 in spetember and so far i am beating my body down pretty good.I train 3 days a week .But the bigger the PR the bigger the rest period.When I first started competing I took a week off before a comp ,now I take two off.

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
I’m 47 now and have been lifting most of my entire life. I'm on the principle routine; 2days on 1 day off because that's what works well for me! What works well for you??!!! I'm able to maintain the way I want and get the results I’m looking for this way. I still feel very healthy, the only time I don’t is when I have those cheat meals & drink that extra beer at night with family or friends (you all know what I’m talking about). As you get older you just have to find a way around it all (does matter how old you’re getting), you have to make it work! You will find a way if you really want to and that’s when the pain will all go away! Trust me on this guys & gals, allot of pain, sore joints, tendons etc. etc is what’s in your mind allot of the time, not to get out there on you guys, but if you only knew what I've been through with a snapped leg, torn shoulder just to name a few and I’m fricken pain free. The key ingredient here is to work around it, train around it, and circumvent the system so to speak!! Didn’t mean to get all philosophical on anyone, just sayin……..

Lucky

Very true and intelligent post, Ive let injuries stop me before and the only thing that did was weaken me to the point where other complications arose. I used to try and train though injuries and that doesnt work very well either. If longevity is your goal or even a concern you have to listen to your body and at least respect it a little!

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
im 44 years old adjos, and a few years back, i found out 3 days per week, 5x5 protocol works best for me,. hard as hell on my joints, but i will never give up or surrender! i do have down days, but i take my pre-workout no shotgun and then i have no choice but to get my ass to the gym! im getting to old not to push myself, i need to make it back!pre- injury. very good post bro!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic