Latest Member
Nickobat
What's New?

Question about Deadlifts

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Right now I am using a double overhand grip. Sometimes I will use a over-under when doing straight leg lifts.

Try using a hook grip. It's overhand but it will be a more secure hold. Also use chalk. You'll be g2g than.

J

jute

Dec 22, 2010
Once I get up to heavier weights, and I lock out at the top. I will stand there holding the weight for a bit

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
BRO- IF YOU ARE COMPETING OR DOING MAX LIFTS - USE STRAPS ONLY DURING THE MAX

Your grip is everything- anyone who says different , just dont get it. The grip is your connection to all, your connection to others- just think how you feel when you shake someones hand and his grip is like a vice? There are also many other reasons why a grip is vital to power, health and functionality. I personally dont use straps ever, even on maxes- I also do direct grip work becuase of my other athletic endeavors. Do you have any other sporting interests? Plus those little muscles will prevent some other nagging injury type pain in the future. Never neglect your grip, I tell every single client I train , especially if they are one of my soldier clients or Bujutsu or Kali students as well. Plus will help develop vascularity inthe forearms as well

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
you are as strong as your weakest link. Straps ensure your back/quads will get stronger but your grip won't. If you want to be overall strong and be able to lift things when straps may not be around which rely on grip.... Strengthen that grip. If you are doing this for vanity and don't care about the relation to performance, get straps. I'm big on grip which allows me to stop worrying about it so much and lift raw.

well put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Your grip is everything- anyone who says different , just dont get it.
Count me among those who just don't get it.

Grip is important... but not EVERYTHING.

<---- see versa gripps in avi :D

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I know many who pull well in the 6's raw (and even more) and always use straps when training (oly straps though and not the long ones used by bbers and plers). Grip is important but if you know what you're doing your grip won't fail ya.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
I just started without straps again. I dont want to depend oon something too much.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
arthritis in my hands prevents me from working on my grip these days. i need my hands to work surgical instruments for the next 30 years or more so i do what i can to prevent further irritation and stress on the joints.

that being said, if you are young and trying to get better then work on your grip strength as there is no reason not to improve all muscles. (i recommend hand milking cows for a few years, will give you awesome grip strength :) ) use straps for your max lifts but work up as high as your grip will let you before putting them on.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
ATW strong muscles will help support the joints, if you have arthritis it should help not hinder to strengthen said hand muscles. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't use straps with arthritis but I am saying you should do movements specifically for grip strength and range of motion if you are suffering from arthritis.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
ATW strong muscles will help support the joints, if you have arthritis it should help not hinder to strengthen said hand muscles. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't use straps with arthritis but I am saying you should do movements specifically for grip strength and range of motion if you are suffering from arthritis.

i grew up milking cows by hand. milked them for 9 months out of the year for 15 years, i used to have some awesome grip strength :D i use my hands every day extensively for my job. they hurt all day. for the past 4 years i have wore wrist braces at night and it has helped me to maintain feeling in them and has done a lot to keep them from going numb. (i realize that that is a carpal tunnel issue but it greatly effects what i can do with my hands.) the arthritis in my hands is worse in my thumb joints and the thumb is what i use most when handling instruments. much of arthritis is due to chronic repetitive motion and stress on the joint so since i am working and moving my hands all day the thought of doing more exercises afterwards is not appealing. i know it is probably difficult to understand what i am talking about without seeing some of the stuff that i do and how much i actually rely on my grip to do it. so i guess i do rely on my grip strength extensively for my job and therefore because it hurts, i choose not to in the gym. it is like i tell clients that have horses or dogs with arthritis, use them for what you have to but dont go and make them do extra stuff that isnt necessary. if your dog has hip dysplasia it is good to take him for walks and get him exercise but one shouldnt be making him run behind the four wheeler. am i making any sense?

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I know what you're trying to say and although I don't know the specifics of the procedures you do, I'm trained in a fair bit of medical on the human side so I've seen surgeries, done stitches etc. I get the general concept. I know what you mean by not overusing the aggravated joint I'm just saying the stronger the muscles the more support the joint gets and the less said weak joint will hurt. It's the same in any animal as I'm sure you know that's why I was saying I'm not talking about not using straps as that would be heavy unneeded stress for you, I'm thinking more along the lines of work with bands. As for ROM, I'm not sure of the ROM you use for your work as most of the movements I have seen actually use limited ROM which aggravates the condition, stretch them as you can. Occupational overuse injuries suck, it's good that you are using a brace as needed and massage may also help for what it's worth.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic