Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Question about Deadlifts

Nexus

Nexus

Nov 3, 2011
Today I achieved a personal best on deadlifts! As excited as I am about this, I know I can lift way more. My main problem is that my grip is the first thing to go when performing the move with heavy weight.

Would lifting straps solve the problem, or should i work on strengthening my grip, and if the latter then how?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
A simple solution to your problem may be to use chalk when you pull. What grip do you use now? Mixed, Double Overhand, or Hook Grip?

If you want to add grip work you can do things like pinch flips, static holds, farmers walks, etc.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Straps will without a doubt solve the grip situation but it's not really about that. What do you want to do, raw and unstrapped if so then I would not train so much with straps because when it counts you won't be using them. So up to you, I think you are on the right path with strengthening your grip you can't go wrong there!

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
those 2 answered the question pretty good. if you are interested in a raw powerlift type of deal i would recommend you use the chalk and mixed grip for deads. and dont use straps for ANY pulling you do.

for bodybuilding straps are a good way to go. not sure but i think strongman allows straps on their deads so you would probably be good there with them too

BTW, what was the PR?

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Personally, I don't care much about grip. Not my goal. I use Versa Gripps for all pull movements, even light ones, as it helps me to isolate my back and eliminate my biceps as much as possible.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
Are you wishing to powerlift? If so..then no straps. Work on grip strength. Change from reverse grip to double overhand. Or if your gym has a thicker bar...use that for a while. So many exercises that you can do for grip strength. Pullups will help with grip.

If you're not looking to become a powerlifter..use of straps will allow you to pull more weight without the grip strength but overall..feel you'll be happier if you didn't use them.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
staggered grip, then when that dont work anymore as your strength increases, and only then, straps, if you do sets of say, 8-10 reps, your grip should strengthen...good like and kill them deads!

Nexus

Nexus

Nov 3, 2011
What grip do you use now? Mixed, Double Overhand, or Hook Grip?

Right now I am using a double overhand grip. Sometimes I will use a over-under when doing straight leg lifts.

BTW, what was the PR?

Kind of embarrassing. Not that great compared to what I know others can do, but for me being 145 lbs I was happy to do 205 x 4. (After several sets) But like I said my hamstrings, back, and shoulders could do more. It is my grip that's failing me.

In regard, to the power lifting questions. I'm not trying to compete in power lifting, but I like challenging myself and seeing how hard/heavy I can go with myself.

Thank you all for such quick and knowledgeable responses!

Still debating whether or not to go with straps, but kinda leaning towards not getting them and just working on my weak areas.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
^Just get straps, you'll be much happier. I use straps on everything that I can. I don't view my grip as a "weak" area because I'm not competing in powerlifting, nor will I ever. If you don't get straps, you'll just be prohibiting your own progress because you can't grip the weight long enough to lift it. I bet your PR will go up instantly with straps because you take the worry of holding onto the bar right out of the equation.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Use the straps only for your heaviest sets, you dont want to lose grip strength.
Some people become WAY to reliant on straps.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
You are as strong as your weakest link. Straps ensure your back/quads will get stronger but your grip won't. If you want to be overall strong and be able to lift things when straps may not be around which rely on grip.... strengthen that grip. If you are doing this for vanity and don't care about the relation to performance, get straps. I'm big on grip which allows me to stop worrying about it so much and lift raw.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Use the straps only for your heaviest sets, you dont want to lose grip strength.
Some people become WAY to reliant on straps.

ya but... will-you-be-as-ripped-as-this-guy-when-youre-64.jpg

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic