Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Putting Together A New Program

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
The basics of 5/3/1 are solid..... so is Westside, so is Frantz, so is Lilliebridge. A lifter can get strong on all of them.

BUT - to continually make progress you need to start programming for yourself or working with a coach who can do that for you.

Read the Westside manuals and you'll have a good idea of how their program works, but notice the sample workouts - how they're all different.
When I went to Westside it opened my eyes to how it's being run there. Obviously they are all training in that system, but everyone trains a little differently. The main movements are all together then a lot of the auxiliary stuff is done individually - to address weaknesses. Go figure, using auxiliary moves to specifically bring up a weakness.

So, whatever system you choose, look past what's on paper. Take the skeleton of it and adapt the details to your needs. Not the exercises you like, but what you specifically need to bring up your own weak areas.
As long as you have that work in there and planned out to make some progression then the system you choose is less important.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
The basics of 5/3/1 are solid..... so is Westside, so is Frantz, so is Lilliebridge. A lifter can get strong on all of them.

BUT - to continually make progress you need to start programming for yourself or working with a coach who can do that for you.

Read the Westside manuals and you'll have a good idea of how their program works, but notice the sample workouts - how they're all different.
When I went to Westside it opened my eyes to how it's being run there. Obviously they are all training in that system, but everyone trains a little differently. The main movements are all together then a lot of the auxiliary stuff is done individually - to address weaknesses. Go figure, using auxiliary moves to specifically bring up a weakness.

So, whatever system you choose, look past what's on paper. Take the skeleton of it and adapt the details to your needs. Not the exercises you like, but what you specifically need to bring up your own weak areas.
As long as you have that work in there and planned out to make some progression then the system you choose is less important.

Great post! Too many ppl get caught up in following other ppl's training or systems and never adapt to themselves or their weak spots.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
And don't forget as you get stronger your weaknesses change so your assisting lifts will also change.

For example... my lower back was once my weakness. Now it's a strong point of mine so now my assisting lifts have changed to address my new weaknesses.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012

Thanks Porky!

I think I understand just what you are talking about.

I need to address my weaknesses on a lift.

I've noticed my weakness on bench is out of the bottom. I started doing paused bench and I think its helped.

I might incorporate paused bench into the 5/3/1.

I was just thinking earlier, that on my 5s day I might try to do pause reps for the sets that day because I don't do max reps.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011

There a man who knows ! No program us law - adapt principles according to your needs and how you feel . How YOU feel . No one on any forum can ever tell you . You are your greatest teacher ! Listen to your body

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks everyone for all of your input.

Today was my first day running 3/5/1, with Joker sets and First Set Last for AMRAP.

I loved it.

I love the idea behind 5/3/1

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014

Today was my first day running 3/5/1, with Joker sets and First Set Last for AMRAP.

I loved it.

Its good to see you happy and doing so great Turbo! Impressive things are happening!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

I loved it.

I'll definitely be following to see how it goes.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Your way to deal with heavier weight is reverse band lifts.

Now.... about payment for my time, lol.

Or full stretch partials at the end . Most people feel goofy doing partials at the end if a set, but all latest research confirm that fastest way to hyperplasia growth just ad few inches of a rep or 3 here and there . Weird wild stuff lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic