Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400

Putting Together A New Program

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I'm in the process of reading Beyond 5/3/1 right now. I'm about 3/4 through the book and there are a couple set ups that look like they would be great for strength.

Before I get into the programs I want to layout the training days for the week and what is trained on what day.

My current setup is like this, and this is what I'm thinking I want to use for the new program also:

Monday - Over head press, shoulders, abs

Wednesday - Dead lift, legs, abs, lower back

Friday - Bench press, triceps, biceps, back

BUT, I also thought about possibly these days:

Monday - bench

Wednesday - ohp

Friday - dead lift

The only thing with this is I was thinking I wouldn't have much time to recover for ohp, BUT I would have more time to recover for bench.

If I keep everything the same, I want to keep the days like they are, and the compound lifts on the same days, BUT I want to change a couple things.

1. I was thinking I should train triceps on Monday instead of Friday. I thought of this because I'm benching on Friday and my triceps would only have two days to recover, and I might not be as strong on OHP. So I thought if I train triceps on Monday after ohp, I'll have 4 whole days for everything to recover for the next bench session. What do you girls and guys think?

So here are my program options:

1. 5/3/1 Strength Phase. This has the weeks changed to 3/5/1. On 3s week and 1s week you do a heavy single at the end

2. Another one I like has you doing the basic 5/3/1 program but adds pauses at the end.

3. Then Beyond 5/3/1. You get to use joker sets on this one. This one is really complicated.

So that's everything. I'm thinking the 5/3/1 strength phase is gonna give the best strength results, but I'd like to use joker sets and I'm not sure if you can add them into the strength phase setup or not.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Stick to the first set up. Your elbows will thank you for keeping it that way.

I'd choose #3 and I'd also add first set last sets in your training. Wendler says he feels that is the best set up he's made thus far....joker sets and first set last set. I'm also reading beyond 5/3/1. It's not complicated. What do you need help understanding?

You can add joker sets to any of the set ups he has in 5/3/1.

I was just talking to Chris about this the other day..... someone run the new 5/3/1 w/ joker sets and first set last sets.

Last edited:
Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I'm a delirious idiot right now after GVT but I think it is a great thing to find, study, and bring to life a great program like this. And do whatever BrotherIron tells you!
I of course will be watching and supporting you and learning. I think this is cool!

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
someone run the new 5/3/1 w/ joker sets and first set last sets.

I was thinking about doing that exact one also. I saw a guy on Youtube running that setup and it looked like a nice set up.

I don't understand how beyond 5/3/1 works. He has the percentages listed, but no examples. Just that one workout.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
I'm a delirious idiot right now after GVT but I think it is a great thing to find, study, and bring to life a great program like this. And do whatever BrotherIron tells you!
I of course will be watching and supporting you and learning. I think this is cool!

Thanks Bull!

Wendler actually mentions GVT in the book, and has a workout set up to include GVT into his setup.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Thanks Bull!

Wendler actually mentions GVT in the book, and has a workout set up to include GVT into his setup.

Wow! That sounds cool. Now you do have my attention!

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
So Brother Iron and I had a chat about this program, and we both agreed on this:

This is gonna be my routine

3/5/1 with joker sets and the first set last.

This way I can train without a spotter because I don't get too close to maximal weights.

The only down side to this is when I do try to go heavier (if I have a spot) the weight will feel heavier, but I can deal with that later.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Your way to deal with heavier weight is reverse band lifts.

Now.... about payment for my time, lol.

Last edited:
monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Squats?

there is an example program set up at t-nation, called beyond 5,3,1 1.1,1.2 etc. it's very similar to the way I run it.
but looks like you're set now.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Squats?

there is an example program set up at t-nation, called beyond 5,3,1 1.1,1.2 etc. it's very similar to the way I run it.
but looks like you're set now.

I've been wanting to ask you how you run yours. How do you run yours?

No squats right now.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic