jacobss
What's New?

Protein deals?

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
When I first started buying protein when I was in the Air Force in 1979, we'd buy the old metal coffee can size containers of Weider protein for $10 and carry it to the mess hall and add it to the 4 glasses of milk :)

Wow, I was like 3 years old...hahaha.

.....Not saying you are old :p :D ;)

Man, I remember in high school, I had that Joe Weider BIG powder and it tasted like LK's ass!

....wait.....:oops:

Then it was right around the time (90's) that all the 'weight gainers' started coming out, like Mega Mass 2000, that one that had 900 calories, and a few more. Just sugar, fats, with a little protein in them, lol! Was gassy for hours from that stuff. Taste wasn't bad with all the sugar and fats in them, but nothing to brag home about either. I didn't use them that long after I figured out I could basically just mix a bunch of crap with milk (or ice cream, lol) and make my own and save a shit-ton of money.

When Met-rx and Designer Protein came out, I just started using them to get my protein intake where I wanted, then added whatever I needed to them depending on my goals...much like it is today. Designer was way cheaper than Met-rx, so I just stuck with that most of the time. I had a few years using Myoplex's as well. I went back to Designer though as it was still cheaper.

I used Designer up until I think it was that company "All The Whey" came out, then when Dante came out with True Protein, I have stuck with that ever since.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
Wow, I was like 3 years old...hahaha.

.....Not saying you are old :p :D ;)

Man, I remember in high school, I had that Joe Weider BIG powder and it tasted like LK's ass!

....wait.....:oops:

Then it was right around the time (90's) that all the 'weight gainers' started coming out, like Mega Mass 2000, that one that had 900 calories, and a few more. Just sugar, fats, with a little protein in them, lol! Was gassy for hours from that stuff. Taste wasn't bad with all the sugar and fats in them, but nothing to brag home about either. I didn't use them that long after I figured out I could basically just mix a bunch of crap with milk (or ice cream, lol) and make my own and save a shit-ton of money.

When Met-rx and Designer Protein came out, I just started using them to get my protein intake where I wanted, then added whatever I needed to them depending on my goals...much like it is today. Designer was way cheaper than Met-rx, so I just stuck with that most of the time. I had a few years using Myoplex's as well. I went back to Designer though as it was still cheaper.

I used Designer up until I think it was that company "All The Whey" came out, then when Dante came out with True Protein, I have stuck with that ever since.

Met-rx... loved it... summer college, working night shift at a factory making bank, living at home, no expenses, went through minimum two if not four packs a day... got really lean that summer :D

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Met-rx... loved it... summer college, working night shift at a factory making bank, living at home, no expenses, went through minimum two if not four packs a day... got really lean that summer :D
Do you remember when it first came out, it had 2 separate cans, like one was called a base, and I forgot the other one, lol. Right after that, not long, Connolley started selling them in packets.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Want to revive this really quick as I have to say, I am IMPRESSED how well this protein not only mixes but tastes...

https://bestbulkwheyprotein.com//

- Whey, isolate, yeah like anyone else's
- The tri blend (whey, casein, egg): This is the one that really impresses me, with those three thought for sure it'd be clumpy... mixes so well with just a spoon (I also really like the "mixing" of protein sources for absorption rates)
- Vanilla collagen: great price, very underrated product for skin and joint health (20 grams a day) and tastes good

Thanks for the recommendation!
Thanks! Honestly, I’ve been hesitant to buy from them because their whey isolate prices are actually much better than any whey concentrate prices that I’ve compared to anywhere. (Even Costco).

I just don’t understand these days how that’s possible?

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
Thanks! Honestly, I’ve been hesitant to buy from them because their whey isolate prices are actually much better than any whey concentrate prices that I’ve compared to anywhere. (Even Costco).

I just don’t understand these days how that’s possible?
Ha… if I’m fully honest there’s a PART of me that still wonders that when I drink it “Am I being scammed?” Hahaha…. I’m drinking 2, 50 gram protein drinks a day, if I shrivel up or put on 10lbs of fat I’ll let you know

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Ha… if I’m fully honest there’s a PART of me that still wonders that when I drink it “Am I being scammed?” Hahaha…. I’m drinking 2, 50 gram protein drinks a day, if I shrivel up or put on 10lbs of fat I’ll let you know
Lmao, thanks Myo.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Just ordered some of the 3-Protein Blend to try from NWN. In the process of researching, I ran across this somewhat current Reddit post regarding NWN (bestbulkwheyprotein.com). Second post down the guy does a pretty deep dive and found it comes from Dana Foods, and they will actually sell you even larger quantities directly. He also found an alternate source. Pretty interesting read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Supplements/comments/xmacev

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I used to drink so much Met-Rx protein when I worked at GNC it was ridiculous. Employees were allowed to keep anything that was returned, as we only needed to return lids or some sort of proof of return. Met-Rx had all the weird flavors like, peach, mocha latte, etc... that everyone wanted to try then decided they didn't like it and returned them. I had tubs of the stuff in the back. I was probably drinking 50 grams every hour I was at work and it didn't even put a dent in the stockpile.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
I used to drink so much Met-Rx protein when I worked at GNC it was ridiculous. Employees were allowed to keep anything that was returned, as we only needed to return lids or some sort of proof of return. Met-Rx had all the weird flavors like, peach, mocha latte, etc... that everyone wanted to try then decided they didn't like it and returned them. I had tubs of the stuff in the back. I was probably drinking 50 grams every hour I was at work and it didn't even put a dent in the stockpile.
NICE... a buddy of mine worked at one and I'd always get free magazines end of the month... cut the cover off, send it back to the company and they'd toss the rest of the magazine.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Just ordered some of the 3-Protein Blend to try from NWN. In the process of researching, I ran across this somewhat current Reddit post regarding NWN (bestbulkwheyprotein.com). Second post down the guy does a pretty deep dive and found it comes from Dana Foods, and they will actually sell you even larger quantities directly. He also found an alternate source. Pretty interesting read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Supplements/comments/xmacev
Great find! Please let us know how it goes with the 3 Protein Blend.

I’ve been searching for a solid and inexpensive protein powders for awhile. It’s become so expensive!!

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I had a good friend who ran 5 GNC stores. She would call me in about once a week and give me hundreds of dollars worth of supplements. I remember at one point I had so much protein and pre-workout I was selling it at the gym for $5-10 a can and making a pretty decent side income. :D

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Received this today.

I like it. Mixes easily, at least in a Blender Bottle. It's no frills protein and tastes pretty good. I've tasted better, but I like that this is Stevia and not some other bastardized sweetener. It went down easy enough that it was all gone in five seconds or so. Then I added a touch of water to rinse the bottom. Very limited ingredient list compared to other products. I wouldn't trust the scoop, though. I weighed out what the scoop measured, and it was close to 40g. A serving size is 30g.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic