Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Progressive Overload Within A Workout

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
A chick at my gym that I do bodywork on has Mike as her coach. And not just some canned program. I mean he actually coaches her. She is making steady progress with adequate deloads and intensity... very little in the way of accessory work though. It's kinda weird.
Yea, it's specificity training to the max. Accessory work consists of variations of the powerlifts. Only three movements per session.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Using RPE and taking fatigue into account is what RTS does. GA you should check out Mike Tuchscherer's program. I'm thinking about having SS run his program.

I have the book here and then some spreadsheets that look like calculus.
RPE 1000 mutha****er!

Plan on reading this after the weekend is over.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
A chick at my gym that I do bodywork on has Mike as her coach. And not just some canned program. I mean he actually coaches her. She is making steady progress with adequate deloads and intensity... very little in the way of accessory work though. It's kinda weird.

I'm thinking of having SS use his training method. I think it's actually pretty neat. I thought about trying it last year but I'll use SS as my guinea pig instead.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
I have the book here and then some spreadsheets that look like calculus.
RPE 1000 mutha****er!

Plan on reading this after the weekend is over.
I've read that fatigue shit three times and still am not sure I have the whole picture, but it probably doesn't matter since I usually work to an RPE 9 then drop the load about 5% anyway, like his examples.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
I'm thinking of having SS use his training method. I think it's actually pretty neat. I thought about trying it last year but I'll use SS as my guinea pig instead.
It would be interesting to see you use it with your SST routine.

Does SS log here? I'd like to follow along.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
It would be interesting to see you use it with your SST routine.

Does SS log here? I'd like to follow along.

I've thought about tieing it in with SST. I just haven't worked out the details yet.

She's extremely busy so you rarely see her on here. She not only lifts insane weights, she's also one of the top BJJ brown belts in the world.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
And she has big jugs.

Try and use rpe for your accessory stuff BI. That's how I began using it as an intro to it. Squat bench and dead to your percentages and then your assistance work like floor press good morning use rpe 7 thru 9. Then accessory isolation type work use rpe 6 to 8.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
And she has big jugs.

Try and use rpe for your accessory stuff BI. That's how I began using it as an intro to it. Squat bench and dead to your percentages and then your assistance work like floor press good morning use rpe 7 thru 9. Then accessory isolation type work use rpe 6 to 8.

I was thinking about doing it like that. I would go by "feel" for the sets on my assisting lifts so instead of 6 doubles I would keep doing them till it went from a 6 to a 8. I'm guessing sometimes it could be 3 doubles and other times it could be 9 doubles. You think that would be a good way to introduce it?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I was thinking about doing it like that. I would go by "feel" for the sets on my assisting lifts so instead of 6 doubles I would keep doing them till it went from a 7 to a 9. I'm guessing sometimes it could be 3 doubles and other times it could be 9 doubles. You think that would be a good way to introduce it?
Sure give it a go. I would just use the same rep scheme you have been (5 to 7 reps if I recall) and when you hit the target rep range and it feels like an 8 work there for the planned sets.

Example:

Squat
6 triples at 80%

Good Morning
5 sets of 5 at rpe 8
So do sets of 5 and when you do a set where you feel like you only have 2 more in the tank stop there. If say in set 3 that same weight feels like a 9 or 10 drop down 2.5 to 5% and stay at rpe 8 for the remaining sets

Hamstring Curls
4 sets of 20 @rpe 6
Same as above. Do sets of 20 moving up until you hit 6 then keep plugging away dropping down as needed.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic