Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Progressive Overload Within A Workout

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Reading through the logs, I've noticed that many strength athletes here set aside days for particular rep ranges. That is, you will stay with 5's, triples, doubles, or singles (work sets) for the entire squat/bench/deadlift/press session. So here's my question: What do you feel are the advantages of staying with the same weight -- for example, 70% x 5 x 5 -- as opposed to progressing until you cannot do five reps without failing or reach RPE 8 or 9? In other words, why would you stay with 70% if your last set is only an RPE 7, when you can add plates until you get to a level that would give you a better training effect without taxing your system to the point where you'd have recovery issues? (That's why I picked RPE 8 or 9 as opposed to RPE 10.)

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Something that I'm learning about strength training is you don't need to train heavy every week.

When I first started focusing on strength in 2011, I thought I had to go heavy every week and beat last weeks numbers. That just made me go backwards.

I finally looked into power lifting programs about a year later, and pretty much in each program I saw was moderate weight with volume, and around the 5 rep range. This was pretty much for each week through the whole cycle. At the end of the cycle is when you would have a heavy day.

I put off doing a program like that for a while because I thought: "there's no way that will work, you have to train heavy if you want to get stronger".

But to be honest with you, the current program I'm running for squats and dead lifts, never even gets into the 90% range during the entire cycle. Its funny because I thought there was no way it would work when I first started it, but it turns out it works really well. And, because the % never gets high, its easier on your joints.

Just my $.2

:)

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Thanks for the input, Turbo. I'm not necessarily talking about heavy weight though. It's more about choosing whether or not to stay with a planned load, based on how you feel, rather than what's programmed for a particular session. I just started a new cycle where I will be testing this out, and I'm hoping some of the guys will keep me from spinning my wheels by talking about things like fatigue buildup after a few weeks of regulating loads in the manner I suggested.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Just different methods of accumulating volume.

I prefer working with percentages for multiple sets.

A training partner of mine prefers to use rpe where he will work up to an 8 or 9 whatever the day calls for as a top set. Then drop down in weight twice and hit reps to make the lighter weight an 8 or 9.

Example for me
80% Squats for 6 triples at 500 pounds (made up number)

Example for him
Working up to and rpe 8 for 5 reps on squat at 600
545 for set of 7 to make rpe 8
500 for set of 6 to make rpe 8

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
I follow the rpe method PoB described above, my work really varies and some days can have me laying in the sun while others have me carrying heavy shit for 8 hours with little breaks before I hit the gym, going by a % of what I can max or comparing it to what I did the week before kind of skews my results because sometimes I'm already pre-exhausted. After a day of climbing ladders, a leg session just can't hit the same volume and I personally don't believe it needs to either.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Will be reading up on RPE this Summer to see how I can incorporate it into auxiliary lifts. Interesting concept... Wish I knew about it when I worked in the field. There were 12-14 hour days in July that working at RPE 1 would've been amazing!

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Just different methods of accumulating volume.

I prefer working with percentages for multiple sets.

A training partner of mine prefers to use rpe where he will work up to an 8 or 9 whatever the day calls for as a top set. Then drop down in weight twice and hit reps to make the lighter weight an 8 or 9.

Example for me
80% Squats for 6 triples at 500 pounds (made up number)

Example for him
Working up to and rpe 8 for 5 reps on squat at 600
545 for set of 7 to make rpe 8
500 for set of 6 to make rpe 8[/QUOTES]

Good comparison. I love working up to a top set then doing drop sets but have always used percentages. Reactive training makes a lot of sense for an experienced lifter though. I have been devouring Mike T's articles. I can work with RPE. However, defeating fatigue accumulation, which is a major obstacle for us "grandmaster" lifter, might be difficult.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
I follow the rpe method PoB described above, my work really varies and some days can have me laying in the sun while others have me carrying heavy shit for 8 hours with little breaks before I hit the gym, going by a % of what I can max or comparing it to what I did the week before kind of skews my results because sometimes I'm already pre-exhausted. After a day of climbing ladders, a leg session just can't hit the same volume and I personally don't believe it needs to either.
Good to see it works for you. I'm retired...but I'm old, so for me, just being alive sometimes pre-exhausts me.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Will be reading up on RPE this Summer to see how I can incorporate it into auxiliary lifts. Interesting concept... Wish I knew about it when I worked in the field. There were 12-14 hour days in July that working at RPE 1 would've been amazing!
LOL. Yea, if nothing else, RPE 1 would have kept the neurons flowing.

The reactive training concept has interested me for quite some time. I've done my homework and am ready to give it a try. (Going to use undulating prioritization, like you do.)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Using RPE and taking fatigue into account is what RTS does. GA you should check out Mike Tuchscherer's program. I'm thinking about having SS run his program.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
And as for pyramiding up or straight sets... that's just personal preference I've found. Millions of ways to skin a cat.

I do both and have had success with both.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Using RPE and taking fatigue into account is what RTS does. GA you should check out Mike Tuchscherer's program. I'm thinking about having SS run his program.
A chick at my gym that I do bodywork on has Mike as her coach. And not just some canned program. I mean he actually coaches her. She is making steady progress with adequate deloads and intensity... very little in the way of accessory work though. It's kinda weird.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic