What's New?

Phaggy-Time Diet Myths

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
I made most progress just makin sure I got AT LEAST 100g protein daily

Above 100g is all bullshit, calories all that matters past that

How do you know this? I've never seen a study that has really proved exact protein intake one way or another but most do point to at least 1 gram per lb of body weight

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
I agree too for the most part. I also believe that if we get most of our protein from actual foods, we need even less. THe reason why is, 99% of whey proteins on the market aren't regulated by the FDA, and analysis have shown almost every major whey product to be 60% or less actual protein. Some dip as low as 10% (American Pure whey, to be specific).

So, if you consume all foods for protein, the amount needed is probably even less.

So you're saying regardless of what the whey protein manufacturer advertises as far as grams of protein per serving, they're usually full of shit?

Slic.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
My cousin won a powerlifting meet, all natty, 475lb deadlift RAW @ 164. Eating nothig but 3 cups of oatmeal a day and 3 tablespoons of olive oil with each meal.. Not much protein? He got leaner and stronger. So protein intake is a phaggy time gimmick. You could bulk or cut on bread only.
Don't know about the 'bread only' part, but protein intake in excess is something I believe isn't necessary. I've pulled 418 at 139 bw (have pulled 440 in training, same bodyweight and as a lifetime natural) and won my last 4 meets I've entered...

I'm vegetarian and take very little in the way of supplements. Sometimes I'll have a protein shake after training but mostly nowadays I tend to just go with the raw, whole foods route. For me my diet contains no processed foods, no dairy/milk, no fast food (unless you count a 1-2 times a week takeaway from my local vegan restaurant) and lots of raw, fermented and sprouted foods. Most of my diet is simply fruits and vegetables.

Last edited by a moderator:
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Just eat. Don't neglect any of the three calorie sources, and eat for how big or small you wanna be. I wanted to be 308 pounds for my last meet, so I ate 6000ish calories a day, and got another 3600 from a gallon of whole chocolate milk per day. I'm sure carbs were around a 1000g, proteins around 300-400g, and fats made up the rest of the cals. Worked for me, but I'm just a fat powerlifter.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Don't know about the 'bread only' part, but protein intake in excess is something I believe isn't necessary. I've pulled 418 at 139 bw (have pulled 440 in training, same bodyweight and as a lifetime natural) and won my last 4 meets I've entered...

I'm vegetarian and take very little in the way of supplements. Sometimes I'll have a protein shake after training but mostly nowadays I tend to just go with the raw, whole foods route. For me my diet contains no processed foods, no dairy/milk, no fast food (unless you count a 1-2 times a week takeaway from my local vegan restaurant) and lots of raw, fermented and sprouted foods. Most of my diet is simply fruits and vegetables.

Do you think it's possible for a guy my size (300lbs @18ish% bf) to maintain size and strength on a vegan diet without meat? Rhetorical question. God gave us incisors for a reason. Our Paleolithic ancestors, if they were good hunters, ate pounds upon pounds of meat per day. You do you, I'll do me.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Do you think it's possible for a guy my size (300lbs @18ish% bf) to maintain size and strength on a vegan diet without meat? Rhetorical question. God gave us incisors for a reason. Our Paleolithic ancestors, if they were good hunters, ate pounds upon pounds of meat per day. You do you, I'll do me.
Haha, so you don't want me to answer ?!

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

That argument is actually pretty weak. Our incisors are pretty weak compared to some other herbivores in the world. If you study animals, you will discover that many fruit eating herbivores were given large incisors for biting in to hard fruits, not necessarily meats.

gorilla.jpg

Our GI tracts are extremely too long to be intended for a diet very high in red meat consumption.

That said, I enjoy eating meats. There is a lot of evidence that supports both sides, and I find it amusing that people can't see both sides of the coin. The bottom line is, genetics, health etc should dictate the route we take. Some people go vegan because their cholesterol is through the roof otherwise, while others can eat red meat and never have an issue.

Lastly, early weight lifters consumed low to moderate protein, and they proved that a diet with moderate to low amounts of meat could still produce great results. Remember, this is pre-aas too.

Grim9.jpg

asdqx.jpg

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Bill Pearl is another great example that you don't have to rely on meat to build muscle...

BillPearlIM.png

Nice post though shortz, well articulated. Meat or no meat, both routes can work well. Comes down to the individual, and different people have differing reasons as to why they eat what/how they do.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Good info, and nice pictures of 5'3" 160lb dudes.

You do you, I'll do me.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

You do you, I'll do me.

So in other words, you got nothin'.

Bill Pearl 160lbs lulz.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012

You do you, I'll do me.
Absolutely, each to their own. People are big and ugly enough to make their own choices!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic