Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Paused Deadlifts - opinions?

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Can someone explain to me, or point me in the direction of a good video or article on the purpose/benefit of paused deadlifts? Based on my Instagram and Twitter feeds, they seem to be popular. I've seen a few vids, but I'm not sure if I am accepting the explanations as to why they are beneficial. Or rather, if the risk/reward makes it a better option than other accessory work that targets the same areas that the paused deadlift hits.

Now, I understand the benefit of paused reps in bench and squat ... but those pauses happen at the bottom of the rep (pause at the chest, pause in the hole). But I don't think people incorporate pauses to their bench and squat at a point that's halfway through the rep, like the paused deadlift does?

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I'll pass on those but I'd love to hear the answer to your question. Seems risky but I don't know jack!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Can someone explain to me, or point me in the direction of a good video or article on the purpose/benefit of paused deadlifts? Based on my Instagram and Twitter feeds, they seem to be popular. I've seen a few vids, but I'm not sure if I am accepting the explanations as to why they are beneficial. Or rather, if the risk/reward makes it a better option than other accessory work that targets the same areas that the paused deadlift hits.

Now, I understand the benefit of paused reps in bench and squat ... but those pauses happen at the bottom of the rep (pause at the chest, pause in the hole). But I don't think people incorporate pauses to their bench and squat at a point that's halfway through the rep, like the paused deadlift does?
I have a training partner who will bench, pause on the chest, pause halfway then lock out.

The pauses takes your momentum out of the equation. You are forced to accelerate off the floor and again at the knees. You can make it worse by breaking the floor, pausing, pulling to yhr knee, pause then lock out.

I would say it's training economy more than anything. You are working pulls from the floor plus a rack pull in the same rep.

I don't do them personally. I think they are a great way to quickly fatigue the spinal erectors and snap your shit up. Which also usually means they have a high reward.

Also slow negatives on deads are retarded. Just throwing that out there.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
The simplified version of my theory on midway work, rack work, lockout work, etc (all pertaining to raw lifting) is this.

1. I don't ever want my body to get used to slowing down or stopping, halfway through the concentric portion of a movement. I just don't even want the motor pathways to know what the hell it even means to not explode through the concentric portion of a movement.

2. The best possible way to mask a sticking point is to get as fast and explosive as hell out of the hole (bottom of a squat, on chest for bench, starting position of deadlift). Keep in mind I said "mask". You should still work on that sticking point with partials, but that means partials where you explode throughout the shortened concentric portion, not partials where you teach your body how to move the weight slowly and stop during different points of the lift (goes back to point 1).

3. You can absolutely over-do lockout work in raw training. Geared lifters need it more because of where they have the least help from the gear, but raw lifters overuse the hell out of lockout training.

Want2lift

Want2lift

Jun 12, 2012
Rack pulls are a great tool but pausing half way thru a dead lift has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Your asking for back issues IMO.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Pausing half way is VERY common with Oly lifting. In fact it's called work from "the hang" and does wonder with strengthening the lower back and also building explosive power. For Oly lifting it's start fast and get faster... essentially finding another "gear" where you accelerate the bar even more.

Can this work for the powerlifts? I know Chad Wesley Smith believe it will be he does this with squats ie. pause half way and at other positions other then just in the hole.

Want2lift

Want2lift

Jun 12, 2012
I can see using cleans or power cleans or hang cleans or rack pulls to help out with the top end of a dead lift, but the weight would be substantially lighter then what you can dead lift. I can't see picking up 500 lbs and pausing half way to be a good idea.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I can see using cleans or power cleans or hang cleans or rack pulls to help out with the top end of a dead lift, but the weight would be substantially lighter then what you can dead lift. I can't see picking up 500 lbs and pausing half way to be a good idea.

Agreed. Different when you're pausing with weight that is light enough (not light) to be thrown overhead, and for a different purpose (BI, I know far far far less than you on oly lifting but like you said, that extra burst of speed before dropping under is why they do those pauses). For a powerlifter, especially if using weights that are maximal (90+% of 1rm), I can't see any reward for the risk.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Agreed. Different when you're pausing with weight that is light enough (not light) to be thrown overhead, and for a different purpose (BI, I know far far far less than you on oly lifting but like you said, that extra burst of speed before dropping under is why they do those pauses). For a powerlifter, especially if using weights that are maximal (90+% of 1rm), I can't see any reward for the risk.

The reasoning for performing oly lifts from the hang is to take out the first pull and that forces the person to hold a lift into position which is a isometric contraction on the lower back (yes it fries the shit out of the lower back) and to go from 0 to 100mph in 0 seconds b/c you don't have the first pull to generate any momentum. You can accomplish the same thing by using blocks. It takes the first pull out of the lift. By using the blocks it makes you use your hips and low back and take the initial leg drive out of the lift.

Last edited:
F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Paused deads are a great way to build strength in traditional deads.Different ways to do these.Pausing at the bottom portion of a lift, dissipates the stretch reflex and forces you to learn to recruit as many motor units as possible to overcome the weight. Pausing at any other point of the lift, will force you to control the weight and build quasi-isometric strength, helping overcome a sticking point in any range of motion.

In powerlifting and weightlifting, paused lifting variations can be used to develop strength at any sticking point. Because of the extended time under tension that paused lifts require, they are a great way to build muscle.

Paused lifts are also a great way to learn technique, as they will allow your body to find its strongest positions and as you spend time in these positions your body will begin to learn them.

Paused lifting variations though aren’t exclusive to the bottom position of the squat, or off the chest, pauses can be done at almost any point during a lift to build strength in that specific position.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic