Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

Paused Deadlifts - opinions?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Paused deads are a great way to build strength in traditional deads.Different ways to do these.Pausing at the bottom portion of a lift, dissipates the stretch reflex and forces you to learn to recruit as many motor units as possible to overcome the weight. Pausing at any other point of the lift, will force you to control the weight and build quasi-isometric strength, helping overcome a sticking point in any range of motion.

In powerlifting and weightlifting, paused lifting variations can be used to develop strength at any sticking point. Because of the extended time under tension that paused lifts require, they are a great way to build muscle.

Paused lifts are also a great way to learn technique, as they will allow your body to find its strongest positions and as you spend time in these positions your body will begin to learn them.

Paused lifting variations though aren’t exclusive to the bottom position of the squat, or off the chest, pauses can be done at almost any point during a lift to build strength in that specific position.

Isometric contractions aren't a great way to build muscle. You can use it to strengthen a muscle or group but if you want hypertrophy an isotonic contraction is better.

Most here perform a paused variation of the the big 3 where we pause in the hole on a squat, pause on the floor (reset) on deadlifts, and pause on our chest or bench. As for pausing in another position... I would like to hear some empirical experience from some of the guys/gals here and not some youtube vid.

One thing which hasn't been discussed is when you pause in another position you may or may not get out of position to hold that pause especially if someone is using heavier weight then they should. Kind of like how so many perform a rack pull incorrectly by being in the incorrect start position.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Isometric contractions aren't a great way to build muscle. You can use it to strengthen a muscle or group but if you want hypertrophy an isotonic contraction is better.

Most here perform a paused variation of the the big 3 where we pause in the hole on a squat, pause on the floor (reset) on deadlifts, and pause on our chest or bench. As for pausing in another position... I would like to hear some empirical experience from some of the guys/gals here and not some youtube vid.

One thing which hasn't been discussed is when you pause in another position you may or may not get out of position to hold that pause especially if someone is using heavier weight then they should. Kind of like how so many perform a rack pull incorrectly by being in the incorrect start position.

Well I agree and disagree with you.My reply WAS in fact stating the strength gaining aspect of doing them,I do believe that by building strength you will ultimately be building more muscle by being able to lift heavier weights.A good example of this are guys that have lots of size but no large number of muscle fibers under that size.How many guys have size but are weak as shit? So building strength to me was always a priority to focus on than just trying to get bigger.Ive always looked to be big but SOLID.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Also there is no stretch reflex on a deadlift. Because it's a dead lift. Without the actual stretch of the eccentric then you don't activate the muscle spindles that bring about the stretch reflex.

Also any person training for powerlifting will already have made certain adaptations. Even without those adaptations the body still knows how many fibers to recruit.

Muscles are recruited by wave summation. This is when a muscle has a subsequent contraction that brings peak tension higher. There can be many contractions in one lift strung together to create complete tetanus.

In powerlifting we typically experience multiple motor unit summation. This is a more precise contraction in response to pretty significant stimulus.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Also there is no stretch reflex on a deadlift. Because it's a dead lift. Without the actual stretch of the eccentric then you don't activate the muscle spindles that bring about the stretch reflex.

Also any person training for powerlifting will already have made certain adaptations. Even without those adaptations the body still knows how many fibers to recruit.

Muscles are recruited by wave summation. This is when a muscle has a subsequent contraction that brings peak tension higher. There can be many contractions in one lift strung together to create complete tetanus.

In powerlifting we typically experience multiple motor unit summation. This is a more precise contraction in response to pretty significant stimulus.

Someone's been reading. Hooke on phonics worked for POB, lol.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Someone's been reading. Hooke on phonics worked for POB, lol.
Ha I go to the skool. I don't usually talk like that because most people don't know wtf any of it means. But it takes more than a copy and paste to actually understand certain things.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Lots of info here! Awesome.

I guess I'm stubborn, haha. I still can't justify the risk/reward of this.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
I've incorporated them into my training for the first time this competition prep. I know they fry my lower back and I've gained a lot about how my body moves in that portion of the lift. I don't know if it will carry over to new pr's or not tho. Or even if a pr could be directly attributed to them. The proof will be in the pudding

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic