Latest Member
Nickobat
What's New?

Over 40 Fitness Enthhusiast

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
The interesting thing about your red meat allergy is that the tick bite causes production of an antibody to a carbohydrate called alpha-gal, which also happens to be present on red meat. It's a strange thing that you would actually be having a reaction to a carb, which causes you to have a reaction to red meat. You might also look to beans a a good source of protein. I would be lost if I couldn't eat red meat.

Welcome to TID.

that is very interesting athens! thanks. i wonder if this could also occur in dogs? something for me to research for sure as we have tons of ticks and tons of dogs with food allergies.

B

beck26

Jul 28, 2011
welcome to the den glad to have ya here.

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
Welcome to TID. Thanks for joining us!

B

Bioprof21

Nov 4, 2011
Athens,

Wow, surprised anyone has even heard of this weird allergy! That's it exactly -- read some papers by an allergist at UVA that uncovered the link. It's the carb that is present on both red meat and pork (but not poultry). Apparently only occurs in people with certain blood types (I'm 0 positive). I can't do whey protein either -- causes the hives and everything. That's why I started with brown rice protein which is ok. Don't actually miss the red meat to much, but need to figure out best supplements. Having trouble gaining.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic