angelarbatt
What's New?

One of the most talked about supplements recently is ZMA

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
My two pence worth is:

The studies behind ZMA are poorly conducted and therefore not really conclusive as to whether it radically improves testosterone levels. They do show some small improvements, but nothing worthwhile.

One thing that is noticeable and certainly within my client base, is that it massively improves sleep and recovery. Topical magnesium does better though. :)

What? The studies were sufficient enough to back a lawsuit.

Unless you are deficient, Zinc and Magnesium will not increase endogenous testosterone levels. End of story.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
One thing that is noticeable and certainly within my client base, is that it massively improves sleep and recovery. Topical magnesium does better though. :)
Can you elaborate on what this is and how it works? The only topical magnesium I have ever come across is in a liquid form (called 'Magnesium oil') but that is more intended to use to combat muscle cramps. They had sourced the magnesium and a few other minerals from the Great Salt Lake in Utah.

I do agree that magnesium is useful for sleep, and possibly a better choice for an athlete due to it being a nerve and muscle relaxant. If you are going to use it though you will need to check that you have an absorbable form (either marine sourced or Mg Citrate both work very well); stay away from Mg Oxide as it isn't as well utilised ~ useful as a laxative though. Normal supplementation for magnesium with relation to sleep would be 300-500mg a night, upper limits are around the 1,000mg with no real need to go any higher than that. Also be aware that Mg competes for absorption with Calcium, so if you are using it long term then you would be wise to run a Calcium supplement alongside it to prevent calcium depletion (same applies to Copper when you are using Zinc). Mg/Ca in a 2:1 ratio is a good starting point.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
It also has Ashwagandha, GABA, and Theanine. Nighty night for sure.
All of those are great, I really like the profile of L-Theanine and it's interaction with the brains' chemicals. It's also a great amino acid to use through the day for mental focus, clarity and calmness. I've used it on and off for the best part of a couple of years; I use the Solgar one and find 2 x 150mg capsules to be a perfect dosage.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
All of those are great, I really like the profile of L-Theanine and it's interaction with the brains' chemicals. It's also a great amino acid to use through the day for mental focus, clarity and calmness. I've used it on and off for the best part of a couple of years; I use the Solgar one and find 2 x 150mg capsules to be a perfect dosage.

All it really does is increase CNS dopamine levels

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
All it really does is increase CNS dopamine levels
According to some of the research I've read it appears to increase the levels of both dopamine and serotonin in the brain, so despite it being a pretty safe and well tolerated supplement obviously people using drugs that alter brain chemistry should check with their GP first eg anti-depressants, anxiolytic medications etc.

L-Theanine partners really well with 5HTP, especially with regards to helping sleep.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
According to some of the research I've read it appears to increase the levels of both dopamine and serotonin in the brain, so despite it being a pretty safe and well tolerated supplement obviously people using drugs that alter brain chemistry should check with their GP first eg anti-depressants, anxiolytic medications etc.

L-Theanine partners really well with 5HTP, especially with regards to helping sleep.

That's inconclusive. There seems to be conflicting studies in regards to extra-cellular serotonin levels. Saying either way would be extremely close minded.

L-Theanine is a pharmacodynamic divergent drug which affects many more things than simply CNS Dopamine levels. Regardless, data indicates that L-theanine, at realistic dietary levels, has a significant effect on the general state of mental alertness or arousal. Furthermore, alpha activity is known to play an important role in critical aspects of attention, and further research is therefore focused on understanding the effect of L-theanine on attentional processes. It has GABAergic effects which has a psychological effect of decreased anxiety.

I highly recommend the use of theanine.

flex001

flex001

May 15, 2013
That's inconclusive. There seems to be conflicting studies in regards to extra-cellular serotonin levels. Saying either way would be extremely close minded.

L-Theanine is a pharmacodynamic divergent drug which affects many more things than simply CNS Dopamine levels. Regardless, data indicates that L-theanine, at realistic dietary levels, has a significant effect on the general state of mental alertness or arousal. Furthermore, alpha activity is known to play an important role in critical aspects of attention, and further research is therefore focused on understanding the effect of L-theanine on attentional processes. It has GABAergic effects which has a psychological effect of decreased anxiety.

I highly recommend the use of theanine.

I'm not following you bro. In post #40 of this thread, you indicated that all it really does is increas CNS Dopamine Levels. Now you're saying it does a lot more??

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
I'm not following you bro. In post #40 of this thread, you indicated that all it really does is increas CNS Dopamine Levels. Now you're saying it does a lot more??

In the brain. That response was post specific.

It may spare GI substrates. Act as a catalyst. Etc

The GABAergic effects are not substantial enough to illicit desired effects, though a combinations of specific stand-alones may trigger a response. But activation of the nearby VTA GABAergic neurons directly inhibit the function of dopamine neurons......win/lose.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
You're right, hence why I wrote 'it appears' rather than 'it does'. Also possibly worth bearing in mind that different companies get their L-Theanine from different sources, I've been led to believe that's it's not all the same with regards to quality, efficacy etc.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
You're right, hence why I wrote 'it appears' rather than 'it does'. Also possibly worth bearing in mind that different companies get their L-Theanine from different sources, I've been led to believe that's it's not all the same with regards to quality, efficacy etc.

Agreed 100%

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic