Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

New to powerlifting

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I was under the illusion that power building was someone who trained strength and also aesthetics to look good? I do wish to compete in the future when I believe I'm ready for it.
I run 5/3/1 for the whole of 2013, and started sheiko at the beginning of this year but the volume jus seemed way to much for me. My diet is terrible and I'm completely uneducated on what to eat and when to eat it. Any help with anything is appreciated though, like I've said previously, I'm
Completely out of whack with PL'ing and haven't a clue. I don't know what sort of rep/set ranges jus going by what I've been told by others on here.

Power building is for guys that don't have the sack to get on the platform. be a powerlifter. It means something.

Sheiko is brutal for sure. But you just stick with it and it's four short weeks. 12 training sessions. And you will reap major benefits. But I don't like running it more than once per year because I think the injury potential is high.

pick a program any program. PLK mentioned lilkiebridge. That is a good one. Stick with it.

As far as eating. Just eat. And eat. Poptarts are your friend.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Power building is for guys that don't have the sack to get on the platform. be a powerlifter. It means something.

Sheiko is brutal for sure. But you just stick with it and it's four short weeks. 12 training sessions. And you will reap major benefits. But I don't like running it more than once per year because I think the injury potential is high.

pick a program any program. PLK mentioned lilkiebridge. That is a good one. Stick with it.

As far as eating. Just eat. And eat. Poptarts are your friend.

I run 29, 37 and got halfway through 30 when I jus crashed and just couldn't do it any more. Thanks man I'll take all on board!

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Just taken this from my journal, it's leg day and id like some advise.

So leg day!
Food in take wasn't that great today. Well it jus want as I planed it. But got on with it anyways.

Squat 5x3 - 140kgs
Felt really weak doing these, but then the only over time I've got to 140kgs I've kept the reps really low. And not really gone past 3-5, so to do 3x5 just felt a bit weak. I'm not all that sure?

Front squats 3x5 - 120kgs
Turns out I can't front squat 120kgs for 5 anymore and ended up dropping to 100kgs. Can anyone recommend anything to work on flexibility to help me hold the bar across my delts?

Leg press 4x6 - 347kgs
Nothing to really say about this other than it hurt!

SLDL 3x5 100kgs
This also hurt a lot! All in a good way though!

Now I was supposed to do lunges but someone on here had suggested to not do them. So I ended up doing leg extensions, did about about 5 sets, and kept the reps above 10.
Then that was me done, any advise? Was wondering if it was a good idea to swap the front squats out for back squats, dropping the weight a lil and upping the reps?

Also the leg extensions cut them out? Replace them with something else? Is there anything else I could add to it?

Is there anything else I can do? Tweak? Or replace?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Seated GM's are often overlooked, but also an excellent exercise for developing both core and lower back strength.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
I would advise core work on lower body days, both squat and deadlift day. GHR and reverse hypers are awesome accessory exercises for lower body.

Seated GM's are often overlooked, but also an excellent exercise for developing both core and lower back strength.

Thanks guys will add them to my next workouts.

I do have another question though, on my push days should I do bench, but with a little lighter weight, wider grip and pause at the bottom?
I was going to ask the same about squatting on leg day and on back day do snatch grip Deadlifts? Wasn't sure if these would be a good idea?

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks guys will add them to my next workouts.

I do have another question though, on my push days should I do bench, but with a little lighter weight, wider grip and pause at the bottom?
I was going to ask the same about squatting on leg day and on back day do snatch grip Deadlifts? Wasn't sure if these would be a good idea?

Are you considering this as accessories? You absolutely can. I use full pauses on all my presses, always. It will blow your numbers up. I wouldn't go with a wider grip necessarily.. I think if power is your goal, you should stick with your usual form and try to perfect it. Use between 40-60% of your training max, for around 5 sets of ten. IMO, there's no better way to improve a lift than to do more of it.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Are you considering this as accessories? You absolutely can. I use full pauses on all my presses, always. It will blow your numbers up. I wouldn't go with a wider grip necessarily.. I think if power is your goal, you should stick with your usual form and try to perfect it. Use between 40-60% of your training max, for around 5 sets of ten. IMO, there's no better way to improve a lift than to do more of it.

Thanks man! I guess that will help me iron out my form and get as damn near perfect as I can.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
.........IMO, there's no better way to improve a lift than to do more of it.

If that's all it took than everyone would squat, pull, and press monstrous numbers. To become better you MUST do more than just the lift. You must address your weakness that is causing your lift to stall which means attacking those weaknesses with assisting/auxiliary lifts and those weaknesses changes as your lifts increase.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
If that's all it took than everyone would squat, pull, and press monstrous numbers. To become better you MUST do more than just the lift. You must address your weakness that is causing your lift to stall which means attacking those weaknesses with assisting/auxiliary lifts and those weaknesses changes as your lifts increase.

Okay well personally I think all my lifts suck! But specifically - squatting, it's neither high bar nor low bar, somewhere in the middle, every lift feels like it's heavy as **** unless deloading.
Dead lifting, same weight problem as squat, not matter how much I warm up, what ever I'm lifting always seems to be like I'm maxing out, at least that's how it feels. Grip sucks ass too!
Bench seems alright jus way to weak IMO!

Any specifics I'm missing out in my plan?

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014

That's true.. however without perfecting form your lifts will suffer. Dynamic and paused work are amazing accessories. I do plenty of auxiliaries, but when that stops working I always go back to the basics.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That's true.. however without perfecting form your lifts will suffer. Dynamic and paused work are amazing accessories. I do plenty of auxiliaries, but when that stops working I always go back to the basics.

I believe one should always perform the lift each and every week. I don't think anything can replace the lift itself that you will perform on the platform. I just believe you must do more than the lift itself.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic