Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

New to powerlifting

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
I think for abs and low back you should do 1-2 movements for abs and 1-2 movements for low back 2-3 times a week.

So you reckon doing some kind of ab or low back work every night then?

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
I see repetition that isn't necessary like rows and than db rows and leg presses after back and front squats.

I feel as if I should explain this lol
Wendler always said that 1 set of DB rows for as many reps as possible was great for back hypo but also for developing strength. In the past I found that when doing DB rows my grip strength also. But then I've also read that BB rows are great for back development and strength. Do you think I should drop one and if do which? I've not had much experience with doing BB rows over a period of time.

Also for the leg day, I'm really unsure how to build strength in the legs usually I'd jus squat a shit load, but I figured variety would be good here. I'm completely outta whack with PL'ing.

Thanks for the heads up though mate

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Question for you and other experienced powerlifters, but are the cable flies that useful for powerlifting? I mean, would doing other press work, triceps, or shoulder work be a better alternative?

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
I want to try power building, hence the curls and flies

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I feel as if I should explain this lol
Wendler always said that 1 set of DB rows for as many reps as possible was great for back hypo but also for developing strength. In the past I found that when doing DB rows my grip strength also. But then I've also read that BB rows are great for back development and strength. Do you think I should drop one and if do which? I've not had much experience with doing BB rows over a period of time.

Also for the leg day, I'm really unsure how to build strength in the legs usually I'd jus squat a shit load, but I figured variety would be good here. I'm completely outta whack with PL'ing.

Thanks for the heads up though mate

I think you should rotate them. Nothing wrong with doing both but not at the same time.

Nothing wrong with doing front squats after back squats. I do that and it helped me get solid numbers.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
I think you should rotate them. Nothing wrong with doing both but not at the same time.

Nothing wrong with doing front squats after back squats. I do that and it helped me get solid numbers.

So rotate like I do with the DB bench n DB press one week a next week b and so on?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
So rotate like I do with the DB bench n DB press one week a next week b and so on?

No, not every other week. When I say rotate, I mean like every 4-6weeks. DB rows first and than rotate them out and put in barbell rows.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
No, not every other week. When I say rotate, I mean like every 4-6weeks. DB rows first and than rotate them out and put in barbell rows.

Ahhhh got you, so then originally I was going to be doing
Deadlifts, rows, curls, DB rows, and chins....when you say alternate would you suggest switch out and adding another exercise or jus sticking to the 4 exercises?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah don't do both in the same workout.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Question for you and other experienced powerlifters, but are the cable flies that useful for powerlifting? I mean, would doing other press work, triceps, or shoulder work be a better alternative?

No, they aren't. You're absolutely correct, stick with compound movements. They would be alright to superset with another compound movement, but as a standalone they aren't going to help your big lifts much in comparison to say, ohp, db bench, incline, etc. When programming for pl, you typically want to choose exercises with the most room for improvement, where the most weight can moved over time. Isolation exercises can be added in, but use them sparingly. Compound movements are king for strength.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Power building? So, training like a powerlifter without the intention of competing?

Either way I see 3 big issues.

1- you haven't run a single program yet. You modified 5/3/1, used the wrong % or pounds for Shieko, and then you lost me after that.... all over the course of a year. One year. That's a max of 16 weeks on each half-program.
My suggestion here is to pick a basic program. 5/3/1 is fine, a basic westside program is fine. Honestly I'd try something like the Lilliebridge method because it's even more simple. And it works. Take that program and run it as close to as-written as you can for a year.

2- You bumped your calories UP to 3000 and wondered why you weren't growing? Eat, buddy, eat. The drug free 198er on my team eats around 3500 calories a day to maintain. As high as 5000 on days he lifts. I eat the same now as I did when I was 242 - I maintain on 6500 calories and grow between 10,000 and 12,000. That is mostly clean eating. None of my team eats fast food regularly.

3- You aren't committed to a goal. If you want to be big and strong then run a program to get stronger and trust that you'll also get big. Size comes with strength. Seriously - Keep it simple and quit wasting time on flys and curls.... maybe a set or two of hammer curls at most. Squat and leg press. Deadlift sumo and conventional. Deadlift off of blocks. Row and chin up. Bench and overhead press..... that's all you NEED, everything else is gravy and secondary to it.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Power building? So, training like a powerlifter without the intention of competing?

Either way I see 3 big issues.

1- you haven't run a single program yet. You modified 5/3/1, used the wrong % or pounds for Shieko, and then you lost me after that.... all over the course of a year. One year. That's a max of 16 weeks on each half-program.
My suggestion here is to pick a basic program. 5/3/1 is fine, a basic westside program is fine. Honestly I'd try something like the Lilliebridge method because it's even more simple. And it works. Take that program and run it as close to as-written as you can for a year.

2- You bumped your calories UP to 3000 and wondered why you weren't growing? Eat, buddy, eat. The drug free 198er on my team eats around 3500 calories a day to maintain. As high as 5000 on days he lifts. I eat the same now as I did when I was 242 - I maintain on 6500 calories and grow between 10,000 and 12,000. That is mostly clean eating. None of my team eats fast food regularly.

3- You aren't committed to a goal. If you want to be big and strong then run a program to get stronger and trust that you'll also get big. Size comes with strength. Seriously - Keep it simple and quit wasting time on flys and curls.... maybe a set or two of hammer curls at most. Squat and leg press. Deadlift sumo and conventional. Deadlift off of blocks. Row and chin up. Bench and overhead press..... that's all you NEED, everything else is gravy and secondary to it.

I was under the illusion that power building was someone who trained strength and also aesthetics to look good? I do wish to compete in the future when I believe I'm ready for it.
I run 5/3/1 for the whole of 2013, and started sheiko at the beginning of this year but the volume jus seemed way to much for me. My diet is terrible and I'm completely uneducated on what to eat and when to eat it. Any help with anything is appreciated though, like I've said previously, I'm
Completely out of whack with PL'ing and haven't a clue. I don't know what sort of rep/set ranges jus going by what I've been told by others on here.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic