Latest Member
RalfKelleh

New to powerlifting

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Grip can be improved heaps by working on it:

Farmers walks with dumbbells, Short (up to 10mins or so) treadmill walks holding DB's, tennis ball squeezes, bar hangs (great for decompressing your spine too) etc etc.

Ancillary movements are a vital component for bringing up your lifts, especially targetting ones that focus and isolate your weak points.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
I believe one should always perform the lift each and every week. I don't think anything can replace the lift itself that you will perform on the platform. I just believe you must do more than the lift itself.

Agreed. I think you've misunderstood me, as I never said to only use the main lift as an accessory

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Play around with your bench grip as well ~ going wider makes sense due to the fact that the ROM is reduced but it doesn't suit everyone. My tri's are dominant so I'm naturally stronger with a closer grip even though I spent time trying to widen my bench grip, you have to find what works for you.

Same with the DL I guess. I'd love to be able to pull sumo but my hips just aren't strong enough; stick my feet really close together and my strength becomes optimal. Absorb what everyone is telling you in this thread and then hit the gym and try stuff out, see what works and what doesn't.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Grip can be improved heaps by working on it:

Farmers walks with dumbbells, Short (up to 10mins or so) treadmill walks holding DB's, tennis ball squeezes, bar hangs (great for decompressing your spine too) etc etc.

Ancillary movements are a vital component for bringing up your lifts, especially targetting ones that focus and isolate your weak points.
Thanks man, usually on pull days I hang from the bar in between sets anyways, helps me feel like Im taking the strain off my back and legs.

Play around with your bench grip as well ~ going wider makes sense due to the fact that the ROM is reduced but it doesn't suit everyone. My tri's are dominant so I'm naturally stronger with a closer grip even though I spent time trying to widen my bench grip, you have to find what works for you.

Same with the DL I guess. I'd love to be able to pull sumo but my hips just aren't strong enough; stick my feet really close together and my strength becomes optimal. Absorb what everyone is telling you in this thread and then hit the gym and try stuff out, see what works and what doesn't.

That's pretty much what I've doing right now, but playing about with grips, exercises, reps and sets. Just to find what works out for me.

Thanks for the input boss!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
If that's all it took than everyone would squat, pull, and press monstrous numbers. To become better you MUST do more than just the lift. You must address your weakness that is causing your lift to stall which means attacking those weaknesses with assisting/auxiliary lifts and those weaknesses changes as your lifts increase.

While I agree that building weak points is important.... Just focussing on the main lifts through decent programming really does work for most guys. Look at how simple the Lilliebridge method is. That's really what they do.
I was only able to lift two days a week for a few years through grad school ( plus full time work and an internship) - I made those days count and did a lot of volume but it was 90% the main lifts, maybe even 95%
That brought me to a 2200 pound total. I made the jump to around 2500 after adding in a third day with some conditioning and more auxiliary stuff...... so, yes aux stuff helps a lot, but a lot can be achieved on basics.

But the point is that lots of guys are really putting too much emphasis on the aux stuff too early on. The OP here is a rank beginner - so while you're right about programming up your weak points I have to agree with NOV that this cat could use a few years of basics. The big 3 plus overhead press, abs, leg press, and rows.

With all that said - the most important sentence any lifter will ever hear. The best advice I ever took.... Go find a team. Go find the best guys in your area and start training with them. Ask around, go to meets, or ask online if anyone knows a crew in your area.... but there's always a crew within an hour's drive. Go there and do whatever they do. Even at my point in the game, after hitting a few pro totals I stalled out. I realized that I spent the year thinking that I knew better than anyone else and got away from what my team built me with. Now that I went back to shutting my mouth and doing what I'm told my lifts are all going up.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
While I agree that building weak points is important.... Just focussing on the main lifts through decent programming really does work for most guys. Look at how simple the Lilliebridge method is. That's really what they do.
I was only able to lift two days a week for a few years through grad school ( plus full time work and an internship) - I made those days count and did a lot of volume but it was 90% the main lifts, maybe even 95%
That brought me to a 2200 pound total. I made the jump to around 2500 after adding in a third day with some conditioning and more auxiliary stuff...... so, yes aux stuff helps a lot, but a lot can be achieved on basics.

But the point is that lots of guys are really putting too much emphasis on the aux stuff too early on. The OP here is a rank beginner - so while you're right about programming up your weak points I have to agree with NOV that this cat could use a few years of basics. The big 3 plus overhead press, abs, leg press, and rows.

With all that said - the most important sentence any lifter will ever hear. The best advice I ever took.... Go find a team. Go find the best guys in your area and start training with them. Ask around, go to meets, or ask online if anyone knows a crew in your area.... but there's always a crew within an hour's drive. Go there and do whatever they do. Even at my point in the game, after hitting a few pro totals I stalled out. I realized that I spent the year thinking that I knew better than anyone else and got away from what my team built me with. Now that I went back to shutting my mouth and doing what I'm told my lifts are all going up.

Thanks man! I've found a local team about half hours drive away so come payday I'm going down there!

On another note, Friday I skipped leg day cos I was run down and sh!tty, so I did legs with a friend yesterday and here it is

Squats
Warm up
5x20 - 100kgs
Leg curl
Warm up
5x20 - 35kgs
Leg extension
5x20 - 45kgs

That how it was written out in paper the only thing I did differently was the leg curl, I did 3x10. Without fail every set I pulled my hammy, and I jus don't understand why, so after the third set I knocked it on the head and got on with leg extensions. Overall this sucked! My hips and quads were and still are on fire! Every time I see a flight of stairs my legs start to swear at me!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic