Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Need help with 16 yr old

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
^^This. You'll find everything you need in a gym at a reasonable price but just starting a basic gym in your house is gonna cost some.

I agree.. also, he will have the opportunity to learn from some of the experienced guys there.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
welcome ... and like he said earlier... check Craigslist... I got a power rack and 300lbs with bench etc for $75... and a dumbell set from 5-65 for $100... always looking for more.. no need to buy brand new stuf... 100lbs is 100lbs new or used

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
He is old enough to begin, just have him start a basic 4 day routine couple sets per body part. There are several great books for beginners out there

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
pob had a great idea!! if your grandson changes his mind, someone will be stuck with a dust gathering, boxes stacked on top, garage sale apparatus. if you choose the gym, go with him because they can be a little intimidating at first. if you decide to get him a set, do as ironinsanity said a pick up a vinyl set and a sturdy bench,im sure alot of people besides me got our start this way.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
free weights or machine, whatever gets him moving forward. training at home is convenient and all but i agree with Pillar, a Gym membership is most likley going to benefit him the most in finding how he likes to train. and most gyms will have someone to make sure he is doing it right and safely

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
i started with one of those basic cement filled sets too lol.

welcome to the Den, i will have to fourth what PoB said. the gym membership will not only solve your concern for his safety(i have yet to be able to find a spot when i needed one) and there are usually a couple of smart people there that can show him proper lifting techniques. then the next step is get him to get an account on this site(if allowed- not sure if Admin has age restrictions here) and he can get some feedback

bma1810

bma1810

Oct 9, 2011
16 was when i started getting serious. i was lucky enough to have a father who was a bodybuilder to show me the way tho. a gym is the best possible answer. if he wants any chance in sticking with it,thats his best bet. most people will not keep motivation,expecially a kid,at home in a basement or something. i can do it now in my old age but no way could i do it then. a little internet research will go a long way. bodybuilding.com has a video of each exercise they list to help his form. and if he goes to the right gym with the right attitude theres always some good dude around willing to help someone out.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic