Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Need help with 16 yr old

B

bklyn1028

Dec 7, 2011
My grandson wants to lift. He is 5'8" and approx 180 pounds. He has no idea what he wants. I am thinking of getting him to start Golds Gym xrs 30. :

112 lb. Vinyl Weight Stack:
112 lbs. of weight
280 lbs. of resistance
Durable, built to last
He has no one to spot for him with free weights. He is a beginner.
Any input would be very appreciative,
Thanks

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
first, welcome to the iron den. it is great to have you here!

i think weight lifting is a fantastic thing for youngsters to get started in. gives them something to focus on and better physical appearance and feeling is never a bad thing!

i think a bench and barbell and some plates would be a great way for him to get started. nothing against machines that are all inclusive but they just arent the same and i dont think people enjoy it as much. there is something about the raw feeling of lifting steel that captivates one.

do you lift?

B

bklyn1028

Dec 7, 2011
first, welcome to the iron den. it is great to have you here!

i think weight lifting is a fantastic thing for youngsters to get started in. gives them something to focus on and better physical appearance and feeling is never a bad thing!

i think a bench and barbell and some plates would be a great way for him to get started. nothing against machines that are all inclusive but they just arent the same and i dont think people enjoy it as much. there is something about the raw feeling of lifting steel that captivates one.

do you lift?

I'm 64, and I lifted a lot many many many years ago. He is a good kid, but has no one to spot for him. He is also hmmmm, slightly immature, so I'm afraid (the weights would have to go in a den, he would drop the plates, and possible crack a nice wooden floor. Is a maching that much inferior that free weights?
By the way, thanks for responding.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
it isnt that one cant get something accomplished with a machine but there just isnt that draw or addiction, if you know what i mean. it is kind of like caffiene free soda. has the same taste but not the same effect. :)

there is nothing like receiving something to make one more responsible. plus you can get some mats pretty easily. i would only just get him 2-5#, 4-10#, 2-25# and 2-45# plates and see if he likes it and takes care of stuff. he shouldnt be able to hurt himself with a 135# max on bench. then if he gets into it and is responsible you can get him more and if not, you can probably get a better deal selling the bench and plates than you can a machine :D

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Lots of us got started on the K-mart vinyl weight sets when we were kids. I'd go for something simple like that instead of a machine. It's great for self-esteem and helps a kid to get focused and goal oriented. Good luck.

Last edited:
trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
I got a nice big multi station cable one free off craigslist,always looking for dumbell sets and rack now

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
get some rubber mats from TSC to protect the floor and buy a 300lb olympic bar and weight set, not only is this more useful but he can use it even as his ability grows where as he will outgrow that machine quickly and it will become useless. I do recommend someone show him proper form though even if it's some basic instruction at the Y. a 300lb set, a basic bench and some squat stands (homemade or craigslist) would go a looong way.

Last edited:
ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
great idea. I used some crappy ass cement filled weights from the age of 11 until I joined a gym at 16. No big deal if he does not have a spot. only on benches does he really need one. I used to get my mom or sister to assist me every know and then. I so thought I was king shit when the bar was loaded with 3 huge, 25 lbs plates a side, lol...

all kids are immature, even us grown ups are still immature, lol...

B

bklyn1028

Dec 7, 2011
great idea. I used some crappy ass cement filled weights from the age of 11 until I joined a gym at 16. No big deal if he does not have a spot. only on benches does he really need one. I used to get my mom or sister to assist me every know and then. I so thought I was king shit when the bar was loaded with 3 huge, 25 lbs plates a side, lol...

all kids are immature, even us grown ups are still immature, lol...

I know what you mean. Everyone tells me now at my age to grow up. Damn, my wife hates when I spend hours playing nazi zombies online. I appreciate all the advice by the way.

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
StartingStrength.gif

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Maybe a gym membership month to month at first, rather than making an initial investment in all the equipment just in case he changes his mind???

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
Maybe a gym membership month to month at first, rather than making an initial investment in all the equipment just in case he changes his mind???

^^This. You'll find everything you need in a gym at a reasonable price but just starting a basic gym in your house is gonna cost some.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic